Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network
Auto Collision Network The forum for Automotive and Collision repair schools, instructors, teachers and individuals in the industry helping to produced better qualified employees. In association with A.D.Smith NACAT, CRIN, ASA.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
mckejac72
AF Newbie

Question 2002 Explorer Front End Collision Concern

I was hit in my 2002 Ford Explorer 4x4 in the front, somewhat at an angled head on approach. The car that hit me was a Ford Taurus. It was low enough that it missed the radiator, etc. but the damage is from the front center bumper area and over to the drivers side front & lower. It hit low enough that I had concerns right away about my suspension and driving mechanisms. It was drivable afterwards and to the eye, only appeared to be cosmetic. However, since the accident, I immediately noticed it is loud when I drive. The best example I can give is as though there is no insulation to the interior of the vehicle or as if I had super agressive tires. However, neither is the case. The sound appeared to me to be coming from the same area where I took the impact. Also, when I would make a sharp/hard turn, such as a tight U-turn, it sounded like the wheel was rubbing on something. The bodyshop says a mechanic test drove it and by sound determined it was the rear axel bearings....and not accident related. I don't think this is the case, what front end damage could this be that no one has looked for? I don't think they even put it on a lift and inspected it.
mckejac72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
Mark Lapes
AF Newbie

Re: 2002 Explorer Front End Collision Concern

If you post pictures we can help you better.
Mark Lapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
chaswe75
AF Newbie

Get another opinion at a reputable body shop. Have you had it estimated yet? It needs to torn down and evaluated. Your tire could be out of alignment or suspension parts could be bent, etc. I would not drive it until it was repaired since you may exacerbate the problem and cause more damage.
chaswe75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
KEVINS800
AF Newbie

my quess would be that the allignment is off and that you prior to accident had a worn wheelbearing in the rear, which once the alignment got off, then the tires would track funning causing the weak bearing to show it self.

remember that the 02 up explorer is known to eat wheelbearings in the rear!!

have a good alignment shop check your suspension front to back!!
KEVINS800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
cramer_77
AF Regular

I actually work at a body shop as the mechanic, first i would have the alignment checked by a shop with a good machine. DO NOT be afraid to ask them about the machine, as far as age of the machine. Second it could possibly be a bad wheel bearing due to the accident if it hit the wheel. Have your wheel checked to see if its bent. If it has gotten louder since the accident i would have to say that the tire is possibly toed in. As for the rubbing noise, have a friend watch that wheel as you turn it lock to lock, cause your bumper could be bent just a enough not to be noticeable but it could still rub and you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at it. Mainly just have all your suspension parts looked over REALLY good, cause even though it don't look bent doesn't mean that it isn't bent.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
collision , end , explorer , front , noises
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network