Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 07:47 AM   #1
nuggetray
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to nuggetray
Smile 2000 pontiac grand am hazzard switch noise

i have replaced the hazzard switch part#22642605 309 2575 and i still hear the ticking noise coming from the switch, and the hazzards are not on. help please,cant afford the dealership.:
Old 07-20-2006, 08:53 AM   #2
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: 2000 pontiac grand am hazzard switch noise

Since you've replaced the hazard switch the next possibility is the multifunction switch (stalk).

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 09-15-2006, 08:08 PM   #3
af_boy20
AF Newbie

I have the same problem with a 99 grand am. The clicking is very sporadic and the lights do not flash when it does this. When I use the signals or hazards they work fine. I have also replaced the hazard switch in the dash. I would rather not just throw parts at the problem till it is fixed. Has replacing the the switch (stalk) on the steering column worked for anyone else? Any other Ideas? Thanks.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:09 PM   #4
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

yes replacing the part on the steering colum is the fix if the hazzard switch has been replaced and yuo still get that clicking noise.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:31 PM   #5
rickant
AF Newbie

I have a 2003 Grand AM GT ... just started to have the same problem...signals and everything work but it keeps clicking even when you shut if off...I'm getting aggravated with this car and GM. I recently had the coolant light come on and was down fluid... mechanic says IMG gasket... GM won't fix it. My family has had probably 30 GM cars over the past 40 years ... might be be time to move on.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
highflyer100
AF Newbie

We had the turn signal clicking problem on a 2002 Grand Am, replaced the multifunction switch and problem solved. I'm told this is a common problem with these cars. The part was about $150.00 at the dealer. The only problem I had with this repair had to do with the horn. There is a small spring loaded silver button on the front of the multifunction switch. This button must contact the ring plate or the horn will not work. When I installed the new switch I must have pushed the button in too far and it stuck. No horn, had to remove the switch again and free up the button. It all works for now!
Old 10-03-2006, 03:51 PM   #7
af_boy20
AF Newbie

Thanks for the advise. Autozone had the multifunction switch assembly for $79. I replaced it and haven't had any problems yet, although I havent had much time to drive it lately.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
Sandman302
AF Newbie

f your turn signal demon is still present, here is your solution!

My 01 Grand Am had this same problem and many others that I've talked to have had the same problem on others years as well.

It's been a year since I've done this, but here are the basics. Take the plastic clam-shell off the top of the steering column. This will simply pull apart with a little effort. You will probably need a small screw driver of some kind to take out the screws holding the turn signal/wiper control machanism. There are also a couple of electrical connections that need to be disconnected. Make sure that it pulls out smoothly, don't try and force it. I don't know how much they cost to replace but what a hassle that would be. Anyway, once you've got that out take it inside so you can take it apart over a counter or table with good lighting. Remove the screws holding the two halves together. NOTE: there is a small spring that might come out of one of the sides, make sure you get that back in and don't lose it. Now you should see the contacts that make the turn and wiper levers work. Very likely you will see the contacts covered in a copious amount of grease. Clean that off with some Q-tips or something non-abrasive like a can of compressed air. Keep enough grease on there to retain smooth operation of levers. Reassemble and reinstall in car. NOTE: there may be a small pin on the top of the steering column that has to be pushed in to allow the mechanism to slide back in. There are also guides to make sure its seated properly.

This worked like a charm for me and I didn't have to hassle with some dealer who wanted to charge me an arm and a leg to replace everything.

Good luck!
Old 01-25-2007, 04:20 PM   #9
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Sandman302 DO NOT bring up old threads, this is closed!

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM