Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 06:03 PM   #1
Icon Modeler
AF Regular

1/12 Scale Jaguar XJR-14 WIP

This is a project I started about two years ago. It is 100% computer generated and made by way of a process called Steriolithography. Also known as 3D Printing or SLA. I have About $3500.00 US invested in the parts you see plus some that you don't see. There are about 1/3 as many more parts still to be "Grown" or made by the SLA process. I started this project to explore the SLA process and to evaluate the economics of the process for pattern & master production. There is a fair amount of hand finishing required to make the surface the quality required for modeling and mold making. It took me about 10 months of working nights and weekends (as my regular day job permited) to generate the 3D computer model. If all goes as planned I intend on producing this as a kit but right now it is only a "work in progress".

Let me know what you think. I will try to post updates as to the progess of the project. Please remember it has taken two years to get it this far.

Please enjoy

Icon Modeler

Icon Modeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
Icon Modeler
AF Regular

Re: 1/12 Scale Jaguar XJR-14 WIP

Sorry, posted this in the wrong area. Could someone please move to WIP area.

Thanks

Icon Modeler
Old 04-23-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
americas911
AF Newbie

That looks really clean, looks like a godd amount of detail on the body to. Good luck with the rest of it.

Doug
americas911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
D_LaMz
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to D_LaMz

Wow I bet every piece will fit perfectly! Is this the only model of the XJR-14?

D_LaMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:26 AM   #5
generationx
AF Enthusiast

WOW this is going to be awesome. I work on CAD and have had stereolithography parts produced. The accuracy possible is amazing.

Can't wait to see more!
generationx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:08 AM   #6
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

I’ve heard of these kind of 3D printers, but never seen it applied to modelling before. This could well be the future of our hobby. Are all those pieces the masters grown by the SLA process? Will you use them to cast a mould and make resin copies? The trees on the parts shot make it look like cast copies.

Anyway, sorry for all the questions. It's awesome to see this kind of work being done and an extremely nice subject. But IMHO you should definitely lose the humongous logo on the bottom!
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
bigfrit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyRaider
I’ve heard of these kind of 3D printers, but never seen it applied to modelling before. This could well be the future of our hobby. Are all those pieces the masters grown by the SLA process? Will you use them to cast a mould and make resin copies? The trees on the parts shot make it look like cast copies.

Anyway, sorry for all the questions. It's awesome to see this kind of work being done and an extremely nice subject. But IMHO you should definitely lose the humongous logo on the bottom!

I agree about the great potential for the future of modeling...

Great companies will have their balls handed to them if it gets easily and cheap...

And as for the logo, keep it, something to be proud of, to my knowing a first time this has also been done to modeling!

Impressive and so good!

Oli
bigfrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:55 PM   #8
Icon Modeler
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by americas911
That looks really clean, looks like a godd amount of detail on the body to. Good luck with the rest of it.

Doug
Thank You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_LaMz
Wow I bet every piece will fit perfectly! Is this the only model of the XJR-14?
Actually, I've been massaging the parts to make them all fit perfectly. This is the only XJR-14 in 1/12 scale. Both LMM & Studio 27 have done 1/24th scale versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by generationx
WOW this is going to be awesome. I work on CAD and have had stereolithography parts produced. The accuracy possible is amazing.

Can't wait to see more!
The accuracy is amazing. I only wish the surface finish was a little better. But all in all I'm very pleased with the project so far.

Quote:

You probably have seen it applied but just didn't realize it. I believe Model Factory Hiro & Tameo have used this process for years now. I think it is more cost effective for the smaller scale models. Everything in the pictures has been made via Steriolithography. Yes I will use these as masters to make moulds. I had them produced with the sprue in place so that I would be one step ahead when it came time to make the moulds. When I do the moulds the sprue will actually be the fill gate for each part. I thought you might like the subject matter. Thanks for the advise on the Logo. When was the last time you looked at a painting that didn't have a signature??? I'm very proud of my work, my logo is my signature. It will be on ALL my models .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfrit
I agree about the great potential for the future of modeling...

Great companies will have their balls handed to them if it gets easily and cheap...

And as for the logo, keep it, something to be proud of, to my knowing a first time this has also been done to modeling!

Impressive and so good!

Oli
Thank you for the encouragement

Icon Modeler
Old 04-26-2006, 05:32 PM   #9
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Fair enough keeping the logo, but make it raised detail rather than engraved - so it can be sanded off easier.

So just how sturdy are the Steriolithography pieces? Could they be used directly as parts ona model? I guess the time and money required with current technology would be prohibitive for one off jobs at the moment. Who knows what might happen in the future. Could it one day make our hands on system redundant? Just design the shape, apply textures and hit print!
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:23 PM   #10
D_LaMz
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to D_LaMz

I'm starting to realize that you may become a pretty big company in the future.

D_LaMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:37 AM   #11
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc

I'm also still using stereolitography to do my prototypes (I'm speaking about job, not models) and from ages I've this idea too: now is quetly cheap here compare 3-4 years ago due to the big amount of equipment installed, a lot of service, more competition. Another way is "sinterization" (right sell?) similar at SLA but done with tech material (you'll drill, mill, approx same tech. caract.) it's quetly cheaper but rough.

Another way more is what Phil mentioned: 3D printers, really a simple tech compared with SLA, just thin levels of resin for just 18-20.000 bucks

Well congrats: super-job.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:26 PM   #12
Icon Modeler
AF Regular

Quote:
Fair enough keeping the logo, but make it raised detail rather than engraved - so it can be sanded off easier.

So just how sturdy are the Steriolithography pieces? Could they be used directly as parts ona model? I guess the time and money required with current technology would be prohibitive for one off jobs at the moment. Who knows what might happen in the future. Could it one day make our hands on system redundant? Just design the shape, apply textures and hit print!
The material that I'm using is discribed as a ABS equivlant. It is pretty tough stuff. I have thought that it would be much easier to just finish it and add it to my collection as a one off. I don't think they will ever be able to increase the surface finish to the point that hand finishing will not be required. If my logo bothers you that much you could just fill it, it is flush with the bottom surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_LaMz
I'm starting to realize that you may become a pretty big company in the future.
I hope not, I'm sure that would take the fun out of a great hobby. I'm only making models of what I think are great examples of Motorsports that I would like to have in my collection. I'm only making kits available to off set the cost of making my own copy. I have a great regular job that I have no intention of quiting, building 1/1 race cars.

Icon Modeler
Old 05-01-2006, 06:56 AM   #13
billypee
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to billypee

WOW. Plenty of food for thought on this thread. Lathes are soooo last century :-)

Completed WIPs:

Completed Models Gallery:
billypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:07 AM   #14
benjabulle
AF Newbie

So, is it going on ? photos of progress for my favorite car ?
benjabulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:43 AM   #15
Icon Modeler
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjabulle
So, is it going on ? photos of progress for my favorite car ?
Sorry, no it's not. But it has not been forgotten about. It has been placed on hold until I can make room on my plate. There will be more in the future. Maybe something soon.

Icon Modeler

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports