Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 06:39 PM   #1
mattsmith
AF Newbie

Revell F1 kits

hi guys

sorry, but i have got far too much uni work to be modelling at the moment! but i'm keepin check on the forums, and am seriously impressed with some of the work occuring! i'm hoping to get one of my le mans kits done during winter break for the 80's comp.

in the meantime, a lot of revells more recent F1 kits have become available in the UK at a very good price. are these latest offerings worth adding to my stockpile while they are at a low price? or should i simply get fewer of the Tamiya 1/20 kits at the same money?

In the meantime, i shall sit and stare longingly at my sauber c9, jag xjr, and ferrari enzo, wishing i had the time and the skills to do the real beasts justice

hoping to show some progress in the future

smithy
mattsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:13 PM   #2
mattsmith
AF Newbie

ps. also meant to ask about italeri 1/6 and 1/9 bike kits. seeing as they cost a fair bit, (though they are big kits!) do they come with metal and/or PE parts in the kit? like brake discs, engine components, etc.?

cheers again!

smithy
mattsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six
Re: Revell F1 kits

outsource your buying, uk prices are way too high. i pay £20 for a normal tamiya kit at the local hobby store, i can get a huge italeri truck for the same proce, crazy.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:19 PM   #4
Zurbert82
AF Regular

The most recent Revell F1 Kits are excellent for the money (Toyota TF102 up to the most recent). The scale may be odd for an f1 kit, but they are pretty good. They include very nice cartograf decals and capture the cars shape very well. You can see a built up example of Revells F2003 at www.cifesystem.com I also have a built up example of the F2003 on the link in my signature.
Zurbert82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:57 AM   #5
chenc544
AF Regular

The decals on the Revell F1 kits are some of the best I have work with. The scale are 1/24 which matches rest of my collection so another reason it works for me. The biggest problem I have is fitment. I built the F2003 and the body just doesn't fit all that well. I had to built most of the body first so I can putty and sand the gaps before painting. Basically you gotta throw the instruction away and carefully figure out what you can do before painting to get rid of the gaps.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:33 AM   #6
mickbench
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbert82
The most recent Revell F1 Kits are excellent for the money (Toyota TF102 up to the most recent). The scale may be odd for an f1 kit, but they are pretty good. They include very nice cartograf decals and capture the cars shape very well. You can see a built up example of Revells F2003 at www.cifesystem.com I also have a built up example of the F2003 on the link in my signature.
Hi,

Your 2003 GA looks stunning.. Just where did you get those marlboro decals? Looks great, and you can get this kit in the UK for like £6.50 of ebay.. I'm so tempted to get one, but I shouldn't as I've got so many kits to build.. Still for the money, and with some skill that kitset looks stunning.. Impressive..
mickbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:38 AM   #7
Zurbert82
AF Regular

Thanks for the kind words! Are you sure you're not referring to the one on cifesystem.com? His is 5x better than mine, lol. The fit of the parts are actually pretty good, you'll just need to work with what you have, which is basically a major part of what scale modelling entails. Lots of Tenax7R and squadron putty help
Old 10-25-2005, 02:31 PM   #8
mickbench
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words! Are you sure you're not referring to the one on cifesystem.com? His is 5x better than mine, lol. The fit of the parts are actually pretty good, you'll just need to work with what you have, which is basically a major part of what scale modelling entails. Lots of Tenax7R and squadron putty help
I meant your build is stunning, as is the the one on that other websire as well...

But where did you get the fill in decals from? Looks so much better..
Old 10-25-2005, 02:38 PM   #9
Zurbert82
AF Regular

Ahh, forgot you asked that, lol. I got them from mediamixhobby Here They are made by Tabu design and cost around $5-10.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:30 PM   #10
mickbench
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Ahh, forgot you asked that, lol. I got them from mediamixhobby Here They are made by Tabu design and cost around $5-10.
Cool... I really shouldn't buy anymore kits, as I'm having enough problems building what I've got now, but I think I might pick the Revell 2003 GA up, as there is also SMS P/E detail and CF set this for kit as well... My my, Revell have produced a semi decent F1 kit it would seem..

Splendid..!!
Old 10-26-2005, 02:32 AM   #11
sjelic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to sjelic

Italeri bikes are nice, specialy in 1/9, allthou some are very simple others (like Ducati Desmosedici or Honda RCV) are nicely detaild (not Tamiya details but it can pass). Accuracy is OK as well as fittement of parts, no PE or metal parts in those kits (except screws and springs) and as the worse thing, there are no afftermarket parts (there are some but not that many as for Tamiya bikes). 1/6 scale is inlarged 1/9 so nothing new in there and for that size it is to simple.
Here are some of mine 1/9 bikes
http://www.hr-maketari.com/galerija/...ic/page_01.htm
http://www.hr-maketari.com/galerija/...ic/honda_n.htm
As for the F1 if you have patience they will turn out nice.

SCALEMAKERS

MK Grunf modelling club Croatia
sjelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:53 PM   #12
mickbench
AF Fanatic

If you look at the SMS detail set for the Revell 2003 GA, it really does add a lot to the model..

Wonder if SMS are planning anymore upgrade sets, such as the McLaren and we can only hope the Renault R25 with SMS detail upgrade..

I was fussed about the scale at first, but as long as someone is providing the base model and someone is giving us the aftermarket add ons, who knows.. Maybe we won't need Tamiya anymore - well in regards to F1 kits anyhow..
Old 10-26-2005, 04:47 PM   #13
mickbench
AF Fanatic

Nah sod it, I'm going to buy the Revell 2003 GA. It's £7.00 in a shop just down the road from me.. I mean for £7.00..!!

Lets see what they are like..

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling