Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Legal Issues > Lemon Law
Lemon Law Share your experiences and receive advice regarding this unfortunate side of the automotive industry.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
Creepstar
AF Newbie

Lemon Law Help

I recently bought a used Honda Accord from a used car dealer. The car has many things wrong with it. Issues include missing parts, leaks, bent parts, dented parts. The parts are part of the transmission system, drive axle system, and steering system. In the NY State Used Lemon Law, it states that the parts are to be defective. Is a broken part considered defective? Or does it have to be completely busted?

Also, the warranty the dealer gave to me was illegal. He claimed I was only covered for engine and transmission. Is the Lemon Law an implied warranty? If so, does this make my warranty a modification of an implied warranty?

I know these are tough questions. but I need some answers.

Jim
Old 07-23-2006, 09:14 PM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: Lemon Law Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepstar
I recently bought a used Honda Accord from a used car dealer. The car has many things wrong with it. Issues include missing parts, leaks, bent parts, dented parts. The parts are part of the transmission system, drive axle system, and steering system. In the NY State Used Lemon Law, it states that the parts are to be defective. Is a broken part considered defective? Or does it have to be completely busted?

Also, the warranty the dealer gave to me was illegal. He claimed I was only covered for engine and transmission. Is the Lemon Law an implied warranty? If so, does this make my warranty a modification of an implied warranty?

I know these are tough questions. but I need some answers.

Jim
http://autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_LemonLaw.html
http://autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_LemonMM2.html
Old 07-23-2006, 09:47 PM   #3
Creepstar
AF Newbie

MTR thanks for the links.

What should I do about it?

I currently have my car being looked at by Honda, and they are creating a full estimate of everything that is wrong. I talked to a lawyer, and he said to write a letter which stated the issues, along with the estimate, and say that it should be fixed within 20 days.

To seem more impactful, should I also mention in the letter the illegality of a warranty which modifies an implied warranty?

Jim

Thanks for the help. Its hard to find.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:30 AM   #4
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepstar
MTR thanks for the links.

What should I do about it?

I currently have my car being looked at by Honda, and they are creating a full estimate of everything that is wrong. I talked to a lawyer, and he said to write a letter which stated the issues, along with the estimate, and say that it should be fixed within 20 days.

To seem more impactful, should I also mention in the letter the illegality of a warranty which modifies an implied warranty?

Jim

Thanks for the help. Its hard to find.
Try to work it out with the people that sold it to you.
I would say that a bent or broken or worn out part whould be defective.
But I am no lawyer. Recheck and read your New York used cars laws.
Your Lawyer should know the best route or be able to help you.
Good Luck
And let us know how it goes.
MT
Old 07-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
Lemonaid_nt
AF Newbie

It's not specific and is open for interpretation. It does not distinguish whether or not it needs to be "broken" or "busted". As long as there is a defect that substantially impairs the use, value or safety of the vehicle and it fits the other requirements of lemon laws you may have recourse. The defect could even be an intermittent problem.

An attorney will be able to advise you if they think it is a defect and whether or not you may have a case. Often times an attorney will advise you to hire an independent automotive analyst to examine what's wrong with the vehicle. Ad link removed by Moderator

Last edited by '97ventureowner; 07-01-2009 at 11:48 AM. Reason: removal of unauthorized advertising
Old 07-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonaid_nt View Post
It's not specific and is open for interpretation. It does not distinguish whether or not it needs to be "broken" or "busted". As long as there is a defect that substantially impairs the use, value or safety of the vehicle and it fits the other requirements of lemon laws you may have recourse. The defect could even be an intermittent problem.

An attorney will be able to advise you if they think it is a defect and whether or not you may have a case. Often times an attorney will advise you to hire an independent automotive analyst to examine what's wrong with the vehicle. Ad link removed by Moderator
This post is 3 years old.
Always check the date on a post before replying and if old just let the old dogs sleep in peace.
Waking up a old dog can get a person bite.:sarcasm1:
Old 07-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-2500 View Post
This post is 3 years old.
Always check the date on a post before replying and if old just let the old dogs sleep in peace.
Waking up a old dog can get a person bite.:sarcasm1:
I think the last poster saw an opportunity in this thread to advertise a lawyer's office and didn't care about how old the thread was. :

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Legal Issues > Lemon Law