Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 10:30 PM   #1
vinster
AF Newbie

Help! 93 S10 Blazer Cranks, Won't Start

About a week ago my 93 Blazer stopped running as if it had been shut off. I towed it home, and assuming it was the fuel pump, dropped the gas tank and replaced the fuel pump and sending unit. It still would not run, sooooooooooo, I replaced the fuel filter, the fuel relay, oil relay, electronic control module, pick up coil, rotor, coil, distributor cap and the fuse under the dash.

I hooked up the engine analyzer and the code 12 comes up. Code 12 is always sent even when the computer sees no problem. This tells you the computer diagnostic checks are working properly (according to my code book).

It absolutely will not start. It cranks, but simply will not start.

I'm at a complete loss as to what else to check. I did not change the EGR valve, but I just can't imagine that that is the problem.

PLEASE HELP!!! I'VE SPENT $350 SO FAR AND IT'S STILL NOT RUNNING!!!!

I know someone out there knows the answer and it's probably going to be a simple fix!!!

Thanks
vinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 01:21 AM   #2
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: Help! 93 S10 Blazer Cranks, Won't Start

Do you have a TBI or CPI 4.3L?

If you have the orange vortec plate on top of your engine you have the CPI. Check fuel pressure and it should be above 55-65psi with the key on.

The scrader valve for check it is behinf the back drivers side corner behind the engine and has a plastic cap on it.

If the pressure is lower than 55, you will have to replace the CPI injector.

Check here to find out what I am talking about:

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showth...pi+replacement
BlazerLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:37 AM   #3
Mikado14
AF Enthusiast

Go to your fuel pump relay and check the socket out. I went through this on my '93 and it liked to kick my ass for a day. Turns out, there is a replacement socket from GM to retrofit the old one.

I am assuming here that you do not hear the pump running when you first turn on the key and that it is dead.
Mikado14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 10:11 AM   #4
recurve
AF Regular

What does the fuel pump sound like? Can I hear it from inside the vehicle or do I need to get outside to listen?

I was reading a similar thread in this forum about a guy whose truck would only start when it was cold. Again the diagnosis was either the CPI/Nut kit or the fuel pump.

I have a recently acquired '97 Blazer (owned it for four months) that had its engine replaced with one from the junkyard about 4 days ago. Now the truck starts sometimes, other times it does not. The starter will crank the engine but it just won't ignite. Other times, the engine starts up immediately.

About 3 months ago the "fuel sending unit" was replaced. This was because the fuel level gauge was not registering anything. Is the "fuel sending unit" the same as the "fuel pump" ?

BlazerLT has some great pictures and documentation about removing the plenum and checking out the CPI/Nut kit. I should probably just remove the plenum and take a look but I'm a bit intimidated, not that comfortable yet with our trucks. And truthfully, the engine runs great when it is on, at idle there is not even a hint of loping.

This is all comes back to what does the fuel pump sound like? I can at least listen for that without having to tinker with the vehicle. Do you hear the fuel pump when the key is turned halfway? I mean, before you actually try to start the engine? Or is it at another point in the startup process… Ha! I'm such a loser. I know hardly anything about vehicles.

A friend of mine tells me he is sure it is the starter that needs to be replaced. Is this a third possibility? I kind of think he is off-base here because the entire engine does rotate vigorously when the key is turned, it just never starts up.

Thanks,
-- recurve
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 11:02 AM   #5
lou S.
AF Regular

When you turn the key just to the 1st on position, you should be able to hear a soft buzzing/whining sound(may sound like a fish aquirium(sp.) pump). Do it with your door open, radio off and you should be able to hear it.
lou S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 09:21 PM   #6
vinster
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Help! 93 S10 Blazer Cranks, Won't Start

Thanks for the reply.

Well, after all the stuff and $$ I spent, it was the EGR valve. I cleaned it out and the blasted blazer runs perfectly.

Whodathunkit!!!
Old 10-09-2004, 02:46 PM   #7
recurve
AF Regular

Hey Vinster, glad to hear you got your truck running smoothly again. I hope it's not just a fluke and that it stays fixed.

My mechanic tells me that our '97 Blazer has a recall for a problem where the lights don't come on the dashboard when you turn the ignition key halfway. They are supposed to come on and then the fuel pump will prime the system and you can start the car. Without those dashboard lights on, as an indication that the system is working, the starter will crank the engine but it will never catch and ignite. The Chevy dealer is playing dumb about it and denying that such a recall exists, I'll look into this more on Monday. My mechanic claims this is a well known intermittent problem. He says that if you turn the key halfway and don't see the dashboard lights, you got to bring the key back to the off position and try again — several times if you have to. Once you see the dashboard lights come on, it is ok to turn on the engine (the fuel pump will be on and gas will be in the engine).

At this moment, both our '95 and '97 Blazers are running. I believe I can hear the fuel pump in both of them. It sounds like it is coming from behind the glove box. When you turn the ignition key halfway, so the dashboard lights come on, you can hear the pump operate for about 2 or 3 seconds then shut off. I'm guessing that is the pump sound I'm looking for? It is prepping the system with enough pressure I take it.

Unfortunately when the '97 Blazer couldn't start the other day, I didn't know to listen for the fuel pump. In fact, I always just turn the key and never wait at the halfway mark to listen for the fuel pump or look for the dashboard lights. So I'm not sure if it was experiencing this symptom.

Thanks for everyone's help and I hope that your truck is good to go now vinster,
-- recurve
Old 10-11-2004, 09:01 PM   #8
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Weird, usually the EGR will throw a code.
BlazerLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:54 PM   #9
vinster
AF Newbie

Nope, no code, no nuttin'. I guess it was just feeling "cranky" that day.

I hope it wasn't just a fluke and starts to flounder again.

So far so good!!
Old 10-11-2004, 10:32 PM   #10
recurve
AF Regular

About a year ago, on our '95 Blazer, it threw an EGR code and the engine really loped bad and felt like it wanted to die easily. My memory is a little shaky but I think it might have died once at a stop light before I got home. At the time, I didn't know it was an EGR code, all I knew is that the engine was loping and I had a service engine light come on.

When I got home, I put the truck in park and raced the engine. Lots of black stuff came out the rear. I raced the engine for about 5 minutes and then it purred like a kitten. This was probably not the smartest thing to do, as it is probably rough on the engine, but I did it. The service engine light was still on and when I took the truck to the mechanic where they hooked it up to a scanner, it said it was an EGR code. I didn't do anything and a few days later the service engine light went away.

Anyway, the key thing that bothers me is a phrase from your first post "It absolutely will not start. It cranks, but simply will not start."

Seems to me that if it really was an EGR problem, you'd at least get some semblance of the engine burning some gas or trying to start. The fact that your starter would turn the engine over with no hint of the engine burning fuel sounds like a problem with the ignition switch. Search the forums here for problems with no dashboard lights, ignition switch, etc.

-- recurve
Old 10-12-2004, 08:02 AM   #11
Jeremy-WI
AF Enthusiast

recurve, I don't think there is a recall, there is a TSB on ignition switch problems but it is concerning the switch when it doesn't power the tranny. If you have dash lights sometimes and not others it could be the switch or possibly a loose PCM ground, most likely the switch
Jeremy-WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:37 AM   #12
recurve
AF Regular

You are right Jeremy, there is no recall. I'm sorry if I led anyone to believe there was a recall, but I was misinformed. This is a serious problem, very common, potentially dangerous, but there is *no* recall. A bad ignition switch causes two main concerns:
1) Blazer is hard to start (sometimes it will, sometimes it won't)
2) Blazer's engine may cut off while you are driving on the highway

My mechanic is a friend and a good guy, but English is his second language. I can only guess his conversation with the dealer was something to the effect of discussing the problem and finding out how to resolve it. Probably the dealer told him they knew about the problem and said it was common. Probably my friend said "You free to fix?" and they heard "do you have time available to work on it?" but what my friend meant was "is this job under a recall or warranty?"

…anyway, long story short, The dealer wants $375 to replace the ignition switch. This is what I found out on Monday (Yesterday). Considering the part costs $70 from an auto parts store, I'm going to try to do it myself. Thanks for everyone in this forum who has already posted their experiences and given me confidence and knowhow to attempt this.

If I get stuck, I'm not scared because I know you guys have got my back. You all rock! Thanks,
-- recurve
Old 02-20-2016, 02:29 PM   #13
Mechanic Ray
AF Newbie

I have been having a similar problem and if this is applicable to your blazer look for the electronic spark control modual it will probably be on the firewall behind your distributor it's a little things black box probably an inch and a half across by inch wide and it cost about $72.00 at autozone this sounds to be your problem. There is no real test for it as I could find.
Mechanic Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer