Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Kart Racing
Kart Racing In association with Jim Hall Kart Racing School.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 10:27 PM   #1
95dxcivic
AF Enthusiast

Honda v-twin engines for a kart.

I am planning on making a go kart as my first automotive realted project. Would it be possible to have two honda v-twins in the back. One for each wheel. Each v-twin produces 26 HP and 33 ft/lbs of torque. They each weigh 100 pounds I weigh 230 lbs and the kart would probably weigh 100lbs. Total wheight would be about 530. Could I use the gears of a bike for the engines. I am planning on Using one engine for 1-3 gears and another one for 3-6. Could I use the gear ratios of a honda transmission or should I go higher. I think the kart could be pretty fast. Maybe I should just use one engine and make just one axle for both wheels in the back. I'm really excited about this project but I doubt that I'm doing it with honda v-twins because they are $1,100 each. What would you expect of this little kart. Would it be able to burn out or out accelerate a d15b7 civic.

lowered on photoshop(its not that low, its not lowered at all!)

Empty Pockets Racing Member #4
95dxcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 02:52 PM   #2
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six
Re: Honda v-twin engines for a kart.

can you link those enigines to those gear boxes? some karts actually have 2 engines but i think they're single cylinders
Old 10-17-2004, 03:07 PM   #3
95dxcivic
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Honda v-twin engines for a kart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2 Straight six
can you link those enigines to those gear boxes? some karts actually have 2 engines but i think they're single cylinders
What gear boxes. If you mean the honda gear boxes, then I didnt mean that I was going to use a honda's gear box , I meant the gear ratios of a honda; as in using the 3:1 ratio for firts gear using bike sprockets. A 30 sprocket in the motor and a ten sprocket on the axle would give me this ratio without using the gearbox of a honda. Would this work. The karts with two engine, do they both run at the same time. Also, if one has 10 HP and the other has 10 HP does that equal 20HP or do they loose power.

lowered on photoshop(its not that low, its not lowered at all!)

Empty Pockets Racing Member #4
95dxcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:12 AM   #4
Psychopete
AF Regular

I've thought of that before, except with 2 briggs and strattons. The engines would need to be syncronized somehow.. Or else you'll get a different result on every run. If they run together you get a lot of power, and the they run against you'll get a lot of speed. From what it sounds, you already have a lot of power, so you would need to set it up for speed..

One thought I had with the 2 briggs is to get 4 small sprockets and a minibike. Set the timing how you want it with the heads off and mark the spots. Put the sprockets on with the chain, and the engines will be direct drive now, much like a crank / cam in an automobile. This way they stay in sync.
Next would be to put another sprocket on the engine nearest to the wheel and have that driving a jackshaft. On the other end of the jackshaft it would have a centrifugal clutch operating the wheel. I think it would work, but I haven't had the funds to try it. I'm full of ideas like this, but never had the money to invest in them.
Psychopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:43 PM   #5
Bryan70usa
AF Newbie

you should just find a junkyard motorcylce and rebuild it then use that, if a dirtbike motor it will be snappier than a four stroke, if a streetbike motor - heavier and more power, less maintenance and that will keep you busy while spending money as you build and you could easily use only one motor for the project while getting more than a total of the 40 or so hp from the more complicated two v twins...
Bryan70usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:47 PM   #6
Bryan70usa
AF Newbie

see,.... you even saw the GSXR thread
Bryan70usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

I'd say get a sportsbike engine and tranny and be done with it, no fidling with synchronisation, no worrying about tranny problems, it's all set up to go, just build a frame and put it on.
beef_bourito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:31 PM   #8
mateo9944
AF Newbie

Whatever engine setup you decide to go with you should be wary of using bicycle chain to drive your kart. It is designed to be cheap and light. It isn't supposed to take heavy loads so it probably won't last long. If you want to go with chain and sprockets just get some #35 roller chain and the sprockets to match. It will save you a lot of trouble in the end.

Matt
mateo9944 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Kart Racing