Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Kart Racing
Kart Racing In association with Jim Hall Kart Racing School.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 03:32 PM   #1
Xander_42
AF Regular

Worst Crash

What is everybody's worst karting crash? I had a pretty bad one yesterday when my brake rotor broke into 3 equal sized pieces at about 45 mph, 20ft before a hairpin. I WENT UNDER THE BARRIER!... sort of, because it hit me in the face as I went under. That's my worst yet, what about the rest of you.
Xander_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:42 AM   #2
simdel1
AF Enthusiast

mine isnt too bad. it was my second ever day driving the kart and i was cruizing round the lap as it was the first lap of the first test session of the day and i wanted to make sure nothing fell off. i was doing about 25 round a very nasty corner and got rammed from behind. i managed to recover the oversteer, but he kept his foot in and turned me back around into the wall. the impact wernt too bad (steering collumn 'v' shaped, both track rods broken, front left stub axle bent at 45 degrees, rear bumber bent and twisted so that it was rubbing on the rear wheel) but what really hurt was that when i hit the wall i was thrown out of the seat, to stop my head from hitting the wall i held onto the steering wheel, and when it all came to rest i fell back onto the edge of the seat. i landed on my coccyx...i couldnt sit down without pain for about a week. i still completed the test day though with some borrowed parts!

---------------------------------------------------------------

simdel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:10 AM   #3
gigglesnirt
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gigglesnirt
Re: Worst Crash

i dont know if it counts because it wasn't really a kart, but i was sliding my hondsa odyssey in the dirt, i went around the hairpin at our track and some rubber mat that was burried in the dirt was uncovered, i caught grip of that and turned over, and it landed on its side and hurt, i was shakin up but was ok with the role cage
Old 02-15-2005, 09:20 AM   #4
crayzayjay
CFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by simdel1
mine isnt too bad. it was my second ever day driving the kart and i was cruizing round the lap as it was the first lap of the first test session of the day and i wanted to make sure nothing fell off. i was doing about 25 round a very nasty corner and got rammed from behind. i managed to recover the oversteer, but he kept his foot in and turned me back around into the wall. the impact wernt too bad (steering collumn 'v' shaped, both track rods broken, front left stub axle bent at 45 degrees, rear bumber bent and twisted so that it was rubbing on the rear wheel) but what really hurt was that when i hit the wall i was thrown out of the seat, to stop my head from hitting the wall i held onto the steering wheel, and when it all came to rest i fell back onto the edge of the seat. i landed on my coccyx...i couldnt sit down without pain for about a week. i still completed the test day though with some borrowed parts!
Ouch. I hope you clocked him one

This is not 'Nam, this is AF. There are rules.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
SabreKhan
The middle pedal is bad

Re: Re: Worst Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglesnirt
i dont know if it counts because it wasn't really a kart, but i was sliding my hondsa odyssey in the dirt, i went around the hairpin at our track and some rubber mat that was burried in the dirt was uncovered, i caught grip of that and turned over, and it landed on its side and hurt, i was shakin up but was ok with the role cage
You have a roll cage in a Honda Oddyssey?!?

2004 Impreza WRX (SCCA DS 519)
2000 Saturn SL
SabreKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:38 PM   #6
mx6rrr
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Worst Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKhan
You have a roll cage in a Honda Oddyssey?!?
LMAO! Not the mini-van!
http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/S...983odyssey.jpg
Old 02-22-2005, 06:42 PM   #7
crayzayjay
CFA

^ now that looks like fun to drive

This is not 'Nam, this is AF. There are rules.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:05 PM   #8
gigglesnirt
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gigglesnirt

its a blast, lol i new someone was going to ask about the minivan tho, they also have a beefier version of that oddyssey called a pilot, like the suv they now sell lol.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:39 PM   #9
PSYCHORACING
AF Regular

my worst:
I was testing a new motor for my buddy and we were ata looong, open parking lot. It had at least a 300ft long strech, and i really opened it up. Well, i bumped my leg on the tie rod, and i guess somehow the heims joint broke, and before i knew it i was into a curb at 100MPH. scariest moment in my life, i was holding on so hard. I was real dizzy but got out under my own power.
PSYCHORACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:58 AM   #10
cantgo2fast
AF Regular

I was coming out of an small s at the top of the straight at about 50 turning onto the straight my back right got about 1/4 inch into the dirt and i ended up spinning twice doing 60 with the cars behind me whizzing by and i hit the flag pole on the left side of the track when i started out on the right backwards smacking my head against the steering wheel i seriously bent the rear bumper but that can be fixed what hurt was the whiplash my head hurt for three days
cantgo2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:46 PM   #11
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

um i wasnt racing, but in a hommade kart with a midified 8hp briggs on a homemade chassis, could easily run to 50mph, anyway, i was doing donuts in the back yard when i hit a rock that as 1/2 ways sticking out of the ground (or was more like a big circle drift than a donut so i was going 20-25mph) and i rolled twice, scraped up my leg pretty bad then landed back on my wheels and i was more worried about the scape on my left leg than what my right leg was still doing...pushing the gas to the floor...wham, right into a tree at 30-40mph... and the frame or anything was hadly damaged...which means my body took most of the impact...but nothing mroe than a bruised chest and hips from the head on colision and the scrapes on my leg. thank god for roll cages....

after that over the course of a few years my only wreck was when i was replacing the belt on the Torque-a-Verter, the new belt hadnt been adjusted properly and after hitting about 40 it snapped and got tangled in the driven pulley causing the rear wheels to lock...i basically did a 360 and then skidded to a stop under pretty good controll. then over the years ive blown head gaskets (higher compresion plus more advanced timing=bad for gaskets) and finally a cracked head and then burnt valves which hwere later destroyed after some of the lapping compound stayed on it and worked its way down into the crank case throught the breather area which spelt death for the crank shaft.

i wish that sucker still ran...but its pretty dead now
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:13 PM   #12
mustangmann9
AF Enthusiast

well this crash wasnt cart racing it was more of me being stupid with a gocart..............anyway me and some friends borrowed a gokart from a friend we had to do some getto rigging to get it to work but when we go it to work we had a blast. one night(11:00) we decided to take it to a soccer field in a park like 1mile away. so we drive it up a wood path all the way there. when we get there we trade off taking 5 minute turns in the moist grass. anyway after a while when i was drivin it, i was trying to "drift" and i succeded to do some "drifts" at slow speeds, i told my self why not go full throttle. so i floor it and try to "drift" and i hit a dirt spot and me and the gocart do a flip like 2.5ft off the ground, i hit the ground and the gokart comes inches away from my head. i about shit my self. but after it was all over i got up and laughed about it. i didn't get any injuries just a sore arm.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:52 AM   #13
Stevy
AF Newbie

I only had 2 bad crashes! Once there was a guy driving in front of me and suddenly he spun, and i could't avoid him anymore. None of us got injured fortunately! But another time, it was pretty hot, I flipped over! I had way too much grip and suddenly he flipped over and I was under the kart! I have some problems with the neck and back since then.
Stevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:55 AM   #14
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

racing on a track in spain, they decided to turn on the watering system while we were racing, everyone was sliding, you'd come into turn 2 (90deg. left-hnader) all you got was understeer, went in a straight line, then the tyres caught grip an spun you round. i was going into a tight left-right onto the straights, doing 30-35mph i guess, the guy in front spun out, i hit the brakes (rear only) an locked the rears through standing water while at full left-lock. i spun but was on the tarmac, then i saw a guy doing about 40mph, goin sideways towards me, he then steered an had it backwards, straight into my cart, my back an sides were bruised for 3 weeks.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Kart Racing