Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix > Tips and Maintenance
Tips and Maintenance Post helpful tips, maintenance guides and R&R procedures here (for both Pontiac Grand Prix and Oldsmobile Intrigue)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
DarkTint
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to DarkTint
Keyless Remote Programming - UPDATE

I know threads like these have been ongoing for quite some time, but I've had to use the instructions twice now after replacing remote batteries, and both times the instructions didn't work and I had to figure it out using trial and error. This last time though I thought I'd pay more attention and try to document the way it worked for me.

* Keep in mind that my car is a 99 Grand Prix GT, so I don't know if the instructions differ slightly with other years.

The original instructions read:

1. Remove the key from the ignition.

2. Close all of the doors.

3. Remove the “ MALL PGM” fuse from the fuse panel. Use the legend on the fuse panel or owner’s manual to properly locate the “ MALL PGM” fuse.

4. Insert the keys into the ignition, and turn to the ACC position.

5. Turn the key to OFF and then back to ACC within 1 second.

6. Open and close any vehicle door. A chime will be heard when the system enters the programming mode.

7. Press and hold the transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 14 seconds. IMPORTANT: After 7 seconds, a chime may be heard confirming successful synchronization. It is necessary to wait approximately 14 seconds for a second chime that will confirm successful programming.

8. Repeat the previous step on each additional transmitter to be programmed (including any existing remotes).

9. Remove the key from the ignition.

10. Install the “MALL PGM” fuse.

After some trial and error, what I found to work was combining steps 4 and 5, so turn the key from OFF to ACC to OFF to ACC, all with one motion, within one second. Then delete step 6 altogether. It's not necessary.

My updated process looks like this:

1. Remove the key from the ignition.

2. Close all of the doors.

3. Remove the “ MALL PGM” fuse from the fuse panel. Use the legend on the fuse panel or owner’s manual to properly locate the “ MALL PGM” fuse.

4. Insert the keys into the ignition, and turn to the ACC, OFF, ACC, within 1 second. A chime will be heard when the system enters programming mode. (note - for those that are not sure, ACC means turning the backwards towards you)

5. Press and hold the transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 14 seconds. IMPORTANT: After 7 seconds, a chime will be heard confirming successful synchronization. It is necessary to wait approximately 14 seconds for a second chime that will confirm successful programming.

6. Repeat the previous step on each additional transmitter to be programmed (including any existing remotes).

7. Remove the key from the ignition.

8. Install the “MALL PGM” fuse.

* Important note - if you mess up, it is NOT necessary to reinstall the the MALL PGM fuse and remove it again. That is a pain in the ass. You can leave the fuse out the entire time, just restart by opening and closing the door. That will reset everything and allow you to start over with turning the key.

Hopefully this helps somebody!
DarkTint is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix > Tips and Maintenance