Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #16
RIP
AF -Advisor

Re: Repeat blower resistor failure

Glad to hear you found a fix. Just don't get too crazy with using uprated fuses. You may wind up with a pile of charred metal in your driveway. I doubt the wife will still be stoked.

I wonder if "the guys" are still around 4+ years after they posted.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:44 AM   #17
HeadlessHorseman1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaudiophile
Replace the blower motor AND the resistor at the same time!! The motor is drawing too much current over the resistor circuit!!
...AND replace the Blower Motor Relay! It's cheap (about $12) and when you replace all 3 components at once, you should get many years of reliability out of the repair. Double check the Resistor Block connection and make SURE it's in good shape... get some dielectric grease and slather up the connector pins before reconnecting it.
HeadlessHorseman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:06 PM   #18
usmailman956
AF Newbie

My o1 voyager blew 3 resistors and then I replaced the blower motor and it has not blown one again. I got mine at a salvage and paid like 35 dollars for it it came out of a later model. voyaer caravan And town and country all use the same one
usmailman956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:51 PM   #19
usmailman956
AF Newbie

Replace the blower motor that's what I had to do hasn't blown a resistor in over a year. Got mine out of a later model at a salvage for like $35
Old 01-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #20
Sallym321
AF Newbie

HI! Thank you for all your info on this topic. It has been very helpful for me. My husband and I are on our 3rd resistor and also changed out the thermostat on our dodge. We were wondering if the fouled thermostat could have effected the temp around the resistor and fouled that?
Sallym321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #21
usmailman956
AF Newbie

I had to replace the blower motor in my voyager to stop blowing the blower resistors has been almost 2 yrs and not blown a single one since
Old 02-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #22
Hanss
AF Newbie

I had the same problem with blower motor resistor on my Grand Caravan 2005. The Solutuion for this issue was pretty simple. Just change your TCO (thermal cutoff = thermal fuse). The original TCO has 240V/144°C/10A. You can try to find it at any Radioshack Store in the States, but it is problem to find the same one in Canada. I did check all electronic component strores in my area and there is no way how to get the original one 240V/144°C/10A.

However I found another solution for Canadian "Dodge Troublesh oters". You can use another TCO for 250V/141°C/15A from NTE brand Part# NTE8139. Technical specs are here: http://www.nteinc.com/specs/8000to8999/pdf/TCOs.pdf)

As far as the amperage for NTE8139 TCO is 10A continuous and original one is 10A also the 15A on NTE8139 is a Max. peak amperage. So it is fine to use a TCO that is higher rated than the one in dodge application but not one that is less. As far as the temperature rating fot NTE8139 TCO is almost the same, because the TCO tolerance is +/- 4°C you can use it.

You can easily find it for $1.68 CDN at any electronic component stores or Radio Source stores Canada wide. In Ottawa area you can find it at Reset Electronic store or Active components store (check yellowpages for contact details).

There is no sense to buy a new thermal resistor ($40.00 CDN) because you have no guaranry that it's gonna work for a long time.
Hanss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #23
tdoublee
AF Newbie

could it be that the A/C filter is dirty and there is not enough air flow across the blower motor resistor. Mine stopped working around 90k miles and I had never replaced the filter. Filter was so dirty that it was restricting air flow. probably made the temp sensor run hotter then it was supposed to.
tdoublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #24
usmailman956
AF Newbie

Not all of these vans has a a/c filter from what I understand only the top line ones do. My 01 does not and I replaced the blower motor and have never blown another resistor
Old 08-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #25
steveh27
AF Newbie

My 1997 Dodge Ram van 3500 has this blower problem: It only works on high. This has been a sporadic problem for years. 4 years ago I replaced the resistor & the wiring harness to the resistor. 3 years ago the dealer replaced the blower motor. 2 years ago the resistor again. These previous repairs would fix the problem - for a while. I just replaced the resistor again & it didn't fix it. I have order the blower switch to replace it. ANy other ideas? The dealer just says bring it in & we'll diagnose it. But, they haven't been reliable & are cost prohibitive.
steveh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #26
usmailman956
AF Newbie

Replaced my blower motor after replacing the resistor 3 times and have never had a problem again(it has been 2 yrs). I used one from a salvage out of a later model caravan mine is 2001
Old 08-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #27
steveh27
AF Newbie

usmailman,

I've already replaced the blower motor. Replacing the switch did not solve the problem either. Just dropped it off at the dealer for diagnosis.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #28
usmailman956
AF Newbie

Replace the blower motor. I did after replacing resistor 3 times and never have blow another resistor
Old 08-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #29
steveh27
AF Newbie

The dealer diagnosed the problem as in the resistor wiring harness where it's spliced to other wires. They reconnected & soldered that & it works OK so far. Charged me $100.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #30
fmikoliczy
AF Newbie

Good info, guys! Unfortunately, my problem may be on the power side of the wiring. My 2006 3500 Ram's blower fan quit working, but after $109 resistor DID NOT repair the problem, I ran a temporary "hot" lead from the passenger side battery, disconnected the normal power lead from the fan, and connected the temp power lead, and the control switch, and blower function correctly. Can anyone help with a wiring diagram, or tell me how to find the fan power relay? I tried to trace the wiring, but the #8, or #10 blue wire does not exist in the harness at the left side firewall harness connection, or at the fuse/power center under the hood.
fmikoliczy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager