Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:29 PM   #1
Teddie
AF Newbie

Sputtering 2003 Caravan

A few weeks ago I took my 03 Caravan to a shop and they said my alternator was fine, but the Wal*Mart battery (which I assume is a piece of rubbish) reads a bit low. When the temperatures are about 25 Fahrenheit or below the engine will sputter a bit usually at stop lights and the headlights will dim then go back to normal brightness a few times.

Now that the temperatures are in the 40s-50s I am still having this problem, but not as pronounced and sometimes it happens rather randomly. There is now another problem to go along with it. If I have the steering wheel turned hard while backing up and am not pressing the accelerator I have almost had Edward (my name for the Caravan) stall on me instead of just sputtering. Sometimes I feel like the engine is surging a wee bit as I drive down the road if I have just let off the accelerator. In general the RPM seems a bit erratic at times.

The fuel economy is the same as ever, the belts are all new over the past year, spark plugs, and all that. Recently replaced the vacuum plugs where the cruise control would go as well.
Teddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
Cntrysthbst
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Cntrysthbst
Re: Sputtering 2003 Caravan

the battery has to be strong. these 2001 to 2007 minivans are very sensitive to battery conditions. i think probably the worst of all manufactures. we have always gone with the biggest battery and it seems to help the life of them. biggest meaning higher ca, cca, and the longest reserve that will fit in it, 34-78-4 is the part number for advanced gold battery. having a low battery can cause the engine to run crappy, low lighting, etc.. a good alternator, battery, good clean tight battery terminals and grounds are a must.
Cntrysthbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
Teddie
AF Newbie

Advanced Auto Parts and their Autocraft line of batteries is not to be found in Northwest Oregon. I even checked with Carquest which was bought out by Advanced a few months back. So, is there another battery suggestion? Consumer Reports can only be so helpful and it would be great to learn of a battery that makes Caravans hum.

Last edited by Teddie; 03-06-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: grammatical errors
Teddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
vitalmuncie
AF Newbie

I had a 98 caravan stall on me with the wheel turned plenty of times. still no idea what the cause was.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:44 AM   #5
Thomas Sams
Banned

I have caravan 2003 model my van makes a sputtering almost like a rattling noise only when its in drive and i accelerate i want to go for long drive but i can not understand this issue any one solve my problem...
Thomas Sams is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager