Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Ralph50
AF Regular

PCV valve location moved to front

2006 T&C 3.8 L 83K miles.
After researching this site, found that getting to the PCV valve is a huge pain in the a$#@. So I decided that if I go to all the work to get to the PCV that I would move it to the front for easier access next time. I don't like having a struggle twice if I can move it. I assumed that it would not matter if the PCV is on the other valve cover, they both port to the crankcase for oil drainage. Now being an automotive engineer I understand that if the PVC was routed to the other valve cover it might have costed OEM a nickle or so, but this is a huge amount in the automotive cost world.
So before getting to the PCV I pulled the windshield wipers, will need a puller for this, to tight to get off. Then remove the plastic cover. Then remove the entire wiper mechanism housing, 4-bolts, 4-nuts, 4-nuts, unplug wiper fluid hose, wiper motor connector, lift the entire thing away from car, easier than it looks.
I found that the back valve cover was broke and was fixed, that disappointed me, but I left it alone. Its just plastic dont bend it too much back and forth, do more pulling up than back and forth. To move the PCV buy or get 2 feet of 3/4 and 2 feet of 5/8 heater hose, small 2 inch piece of 3/8 ID clear PVC hose, & hose clamps.
Where the PCV was at the back after removing the old PVC valve a 3/4 hose will fit inside this nicely, then I drilled a hole and put a small stainless screw threaded into the 3/4 hose. This will hold the hose from falling out, make sure the screw does not thread into the plastic on valve cover cause it will crack. Then route the hose to the air cleaner housing.
At the front connection, new PVC valve. Used the old hose and cut some off and put this on the Intake vacuum port. Remove the rubber grommet from the new PCV valve, this fits a 5/8 hose perfectly and goes to the front valve cover port. Note, there is a small hole on the PCV valve on the 3/8 metal side. This might cause a leak so I glued with 5 minute epoxy a small piece of steel. If I knew, I would do this the night before. Then put 3/8 ID clear PVC hose on this, this takes up the space between the 3/8 steel PCV valve to 5/8 ID hose. Used hose clamps on everything.
In the attached pictures the PVC is circled in Red.
I checked the job by running the engine and pulled off the hose from the air cleaner, held my finger over the hose, it developed a vacuum after about 15 seconds. This tells me that all the hoses were working, and PVC was working.
Now I can change the PCV in 5 minutes like every other car out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture1.JPG (118.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.JPG (89.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Capture3.JPG (95.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Capture4.JPG (106.0 KB, 15 views)
Ralph50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
Cntrysthbst
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Cntrysthbst
Re: PCV valve location moved to front

sweet...
Cntrysthbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
Ralph50
AF Regular

Re: PCV valve location moved to front

Follow up to original post.
Its been 3 months since the fix and oil change. Well I dont know why cause originally was using about 1 qt of oil per month now 1 qt per 3 months. I am surprised because I checked the original hose from PCV and there was no oil residue present in the hose. I figured there should be oil in that hose but not there.
Anyway I am loosing less oil, cant explain it. I had planned to put a restrictor in the hose near the air cleaner connection to reduce the flow of air across the crankcase. I will leave it alone but keep and eye on it.
Ralph50 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager