Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
ck390304
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to ck390304
'96 Mercury Sable host of problems

My Sable has around 82,500 miles on it and other than the power steering, has been working great up until this week. The battery is less than a year old, and the electrical issues have only recently began.

1) Sometimes when I start it, it will stay on for a minute and then stall out... even if I give it a bit of gas. It doesn't matter if I'm on a hill or on flat ground when it happens. Also, it sometimes acts like it will stall out while either driving at extremely low speeds or at stop lights.
2) The radio and power windows will sporadically go out, no matter what speed I'm going or what the weather is outside. In addition, the battery light will flicker for a minute or two separate from the windows & radio going out.
3) Shifting: When in normal Drive, it will randomly choose not to accelerate beyond 22 mph even though the rpm's rev high. When I shift into Overdrive for a few minutes and back to Drive after, it corrects itself. I'm thinking it's the transmission because it does kickback going up a hill even with a full tank.

If it makes any difference... I drive about 30mi each way to work (started this week) but the majority of that trip is pretty flat.
ck390304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #2
mtnlovrs
AF Newbie

Re: '96 Mercury Sable host of problems

It sounds like you could have a multitude of problems, but it may be something very simple. First of all, make sure your battery cables/terminals are clean and tight. Also, check your alternator wiring for tight connections. Make sure you dont have any loose spark plugs or plug wires and it wouldn't be a bad idea to look at your plugs to see what condition they're in. A bad or intermiitent IAC valve (Idle Air Control) could explain the rough idle and stalling problem. Also, a dirty MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow) can cause rough idleing and poor fuel economy. The MAF sensor (inside the air intake snorkel) can be easily cleaned by spraying the thin wire with brake or electric cleaner. The wire is very fragile, so be very careful with it. Lastly, the radio and PW's working sporadically - this could be loose electrical connections anywhere in the radio or window circuits; a bad switch; loose fuse; or it may be a loose connection at the computer (which could cause the other problems, as well, but I think this is less likely unless you or someone else has messed with the wiring under the dash lately. Those plugs do not come apart easily. I hope this helps. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
trinfinate
AF Newbie

Re: '96 Mercury Sable host of problems

hello ive recently bought a 96 sable aslo. ive had the rough idle, but it toned down a lot when i put some new catalictic converters....i still have a little bit of a rough idle but nothing compared to before. its a lot smoother now..it just sputters on idle....lol like if it blows a fart every 2 minutes or so on idle...i guess im going to check the iac and the maf to eliminate the roughs or sputters that are left.
trinfinate is offline   Reply With Quote