Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric
Getting back after years

It’s been a while since I put my hand on a model. A bit more than 5 years passed before I had some spare time and the desire to do modeling again. Cos let’s be honest, this is a time consuming hobby and you really have to want to do it do accomplish something more than “out of box”.

5 years after my last model, lot has changed. Sure all my acrylic paint has dried, glue dried, tools rusted. Some of my most used web store vanished, so are the owner of them that once was “internet firends”. At least, the major japan store are still there and in case of Hobbylink, has new shipping system that I find very useful. Even shipping fees aren’t as bad as I remember.

It's also nice to see a guy like HiroBoy that was once a guy that taught me and many of us here his tip and trick having is what to look like a very well established web store!

The damage of 5 years of inactivity? an order of a bit over ¥45 000 and a bit more than $100 of paint. Not talking about the new Iwata compressor I'm waiting in the mail!

Lacquer paint being very hard to find online (what happen to Tamiya primer? I feels like it’s the new gold rush since I can’t find any) I choose to go with Vallejo paint. Ebay is full of seller having great deal on multiple paint bottle, and since only a few testor, Model Master and Alclad paint was left in my pocket, 30 new bottle sounded good to start.

I Still have to receive my order from HLJ that contain lot of tools and new kits. Sure thing, in 5 years, there was a few nice models I wanted. So I’m waiting for the McLaren MP4-12C GT3 that I waited for so long and just got out this month. The BMW Z4 GT3, Porsche 911 GT3R, Ferrari F430 Challenge Senna and Lexus LFA are also in this order. I also couldn’t resist about the new 1/12 Enzo Ferrari! What a kit! Already having the Caterham Super Seven JPE and the 1/12 Porsche 935 Turbo waiting, it should be a really fun back to hobby fall!

I also setup my blog since my old one was dead (so is ScaleWiki and other website I used to host/manage) and I will try to update it as much as I can. Sadly a lot of picture from my old work are gone, but I should get few new one as soon as I have some spare time. http://scalemodels.magietec.com/

See you soon in the WIP sub-forum!
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
mamr1203
AF Regular

Re: Getting back after years

welcome back Vric!!!!
mamr1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
mco65
AF Newbie

Just like riding a bike.. ? maybe not.
mco65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

Nice to see you back. I was wondering where scalewiki went!! Its going to be a pleasure watch those models build. Good luck with them.

PS Tamiya spray paints been hard to come by lately because they are changing their formula from what i hear.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
360spider
AF Moderator

Good to see you back buddy.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
rx7king
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rx7king

Welcome back! I love to see people getting back into especially since its too common to see people getting out of it. I too spent years off mostly due to being in college and all that comes with it. Cant wait to see some future projects from you
Old 08-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #7
blubaja
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to blubaja Send a message via MSN to blubaja Send a message via Yahoo to blubaja

Welcome back! Have tons of fun! And hopefully you've built up a lot of patience lol.
blubaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:14 AM   #8
robrex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to robrex

Hey, welcome back!
Perhaps all us old guys should start a new kit each. I think it's been quite a few years for me too...now where is RallyRaider?

robrex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robrex For This Useful Post:
tonioseven (08-26-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
jswillmon
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jswillmon

Hey Vric and all the other familiar names on here. I have been away from modeling since I had my first kid and have been missing it. I have found a few hobbies, mainly video games, to pass my time but now that my oldest daughter is 6 I think I am feeling the itch again. I still have a huge stockpile of.models and accessories but need to do a little paint shopping.
Glad to.see you back Vric. Too bad about the wiki, I remember how much you put into it. Looking forward to some of your builds.
I also just realised that my phone m posting from now is probably 10x better than my computer and camera that I used on these forums the last time I worked on a model.
jswillmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jswillmon For This Useful Post:
tonioseven (08-26-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
chaos
AF Premium User

Nice to see another familiar name back! I myself got back into it earlier in the year after a good 7 years or so!

Look forward to seeing your excellent builds again! And keen to see how you get on with the Vallejo paints.

Last edited by chaos; 08-15-2012 at 10:17 PM.
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaos For This Useful Post:
tonioseven (08-26-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric

Thanks for the encouragement. Nice to see some familiar nickname around.

I should post my first WIP this week. I looked at my shelf and choses the easiest kit I could find to start. Some things are like riding a bike and others need a bit more attention. But it's nice to be back at this hobby.

Welcome back jswillmon too. I remember seeing your work here. But beware, even if your stockpile is well furnish, it's an addictive hobby and it end up with something like that:

The Following User Says Thank You to Vric For This Useful Post:
tonioseven (08-26-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 02:54 AM   #12
whip_it
AF Newbie

can you show us your past work on models?
whip_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
Vric
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whip_it View Post
can you show us your past work on models?
I sadly lost most of the picture I had on my previous web site and my old work isn't accessible right now. But I did put a few (not so good) pictures of few models I did in the past in my Web Gallery on my blog.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #14
sam01contact
AF Enthusiast

Good to have you back Vric!! I remember the quality of your work. I was impressed by your Mercedes CLK GTR.
sam01contact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #15
dynosam
AF Newbie

Can't wait to see some of these models built, they are all on my 'to do' list...
dynosam is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling