Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
trazzaldazzel
AF Newbie

Camshaft identification help!

I am working on a project that is new to me, a 1974 pontiac 400 ci and I'm replaceing all gaskets, re-ring, swapping heads and several other upgrades that have yet to be determined. I was told this engine was rebuilt 8000 miles ago and although things dont look to bad after teardown... 8000 is more like 18000 or better. anyways im tring to get the scecs for the cam that was in there to see if I want to replace it or keep it, but I cannot find what the maker of this cam, much less the specs. numbers on the back of the cam are 951771, as well as either L165, or LT65. looked all over the internet and cant seem to find it. ill post pics, any help appreciated! thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1228.jpg (304.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1226.jpg (310.2 KB, 2 views)
trazzaldazzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Tesla220
AF Newbie

Re: Camshaft identification help!

I guess if you know the rocker arm ratio, probably 1.5 to 1. you can determine lift by measuring the cam across the narrowest part of the lobe and subtracting that from the widest or highest then multiply that by rocker ratio. That won't help with duration though. It is possible to find that out by shoving it in the block and setting up one lifter or better yet use the head and push rod, rocker combo and use a degree wheel.

Someone should pick it up somewhere with those numbers you found on the cam though I would think.