Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > Completed Projects / Gallery
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Completed Projects / Gallery Post all completed works in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 07:22 AM   #1
Stubeck
AF Newbie

Tamiya Williams FW24

This is a kit I've been working on for quite a while. Its been a great learning experience for what I should do in the future as well, mainly reviewing the parts of the car better to ensure the finished product is easier to complete. I ran into several issues with following the directions such as keeping the fuel fillers off the car which affected the final build, and the engine cover won't go on because the radiator shrouds aren't exactly where they need to be. I have another one of these kits I'll be building curb side so I likely won't even use them.

I used the SMS carbon fiber set for this car which I can not recommend, as its missing a ton of decals and the templates are not very accurate.

I tried to get a little fancy with the tires and put a clear coat on the inside of the grooves, but was never able to get it to look very good.

In the display case with the other cars.

In the end the engine cover came out pretty well, although it will never fit on the car.

These cars are so covered in wires that its always a bit of a disappointment when you show them off without the engine cover. I'm happy with what I got in there but feel like if I'd spent a bit more time on wiring it would make it look that much better. Maybe next time...

The rear wheels do get closer to touching the ground than the picture shows, although partially this is the fault of not glueing the engine down. The kit actually connects the front of the car through the engine, and this meant it bows up a bit. The biggest area where I need to get better for next time is getting the rear wing together. I got CA glue everywhere.
Stubeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:16 PM   #2
potsie
AF Enthusiast

Re: Tamiya Williams FW24

Well, considering some of the challenges you had along the way I would say this came out pretty nice. Look forward to the next version with all your learnings in place.
potsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:01 AM   #3
Stubeck
AF Newbie

Re: Tamiya Williams FW24

Thanks! I'm definitely taking the "you never learn unless you do something" philosophy with this. I have a Toyota kit I'm building now that should be a lot better.
Stubeck is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > Completed Projects / Gallery