Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Machine Tools Learn about metal lathes, milling machines and CNC tools.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
Adam Baker
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Adam Baker Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Baker
Machining front forks

Im really not sure where to post this. It does relate to my current project, my Ducati 916, so I hope this is the appropriate place for this post.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever machined their own front forks?

Im working on a machining degree, and I have access to a couple small table top CNC machines. One is a CNC Lathe, and the other is a CNC Mill. I thought that I could use the lathe to turn the peices down to the proper shape & diameter, and then I could go back w/ the CNC Mill ti square off the bottom ends and drill the holes for the bolt that holds the front wheel in place.

Was just curious if anyone has ever done this, and had any tips or pointers on how to go about doing it. I always have problems getting rid of the various seams & punch marks on the pieces, and I started thinking about maybe machining my own.

I dont think it would be too extremely difficult, just use a pair of calipers to measure the various diameters of the kit part, and use those to create the CNC program to make the parts.

After that, it would jsut be a matter of figure out how to attach the calipers to the new forks.
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
CFarias
AF Regular

Re: Machining front forks

I've considered doing this myself with some custom motorcycle models. Machining the forks won't be too difficult, just remember that you must not only measure the kit parts but also consider how your machined parts will mate up the the kit's plastic. You may have to machine the the entire fork assembly to get things just right.

Hopefully someone can help you here in this subforum.

We do have a machining section, but there is not much info for what you want to do.

Good Luck!
CFarias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

You certainly could use CNC machines to make a front fork. It maybe seems a bit like using a hammer to open peanuts- effective but perhaps excessive.

The easy way to improve a fork would be to cut apart the damper tubes and replace them with telescoping brass or aluminum tubing. Replace the bottom ends with the kit parts.

Obviously you can use your own turned parts in place of the tubing, and you can get more advanced and complicated from there. The whole front end (or even the whole bike!) can be replaced with machined metal- it depends only on your ambition and skill.

If you can show us pics of the actual fork and the kit parts you have to work with, we can probably give more useful suggestions.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Adam Baker
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Adam Baker Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Baker

I just found this picture of the front forks on the internet

Here is one that is mounted on a bike, w/ the colors that the instructions in the kit call for. Unfortunately I cant seem to find any pics of the front suspension w/ the fairings removed.

I wasnt looking for anything ultra major or anything. Mainly it was to just help clean it up I guess, and I figured using the small CNC lathe I have access to would be perfect. Its not a huge machine, just a small table top unit.
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc

Andy: I'm not for machined parts everywhere but I don't agree at 100% with your thought: I got a couple of brass Tamy turned forks and I have to say they add a lot to a model. I think mill down 916 forks wouldn't be so hard. At least I have one so I'll try a day

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools