Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hummer (AM General) > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 05:14 PM   #1
jdv60
AF Newbie

Postal Jeeps

Can someone who knows AM GENERAL help me with my problem?
I have 83 AM General Postal Jeep 4 cylinder 150 engine series.
Have replaced my rear main seal on the engine,my front seal on my tranny and I still can't get rid of oil leak between my engine and Tranny.
Any suggestion will be very much appreciated.
jdv60
jdv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 09:36 PM   #2
TEXAS-HOTROD
AF Regular

Is it engine oil or tranny fluid? If the p.c.v. valve clogs up it will most likely push oil out of the rear main seal. Pull the pcv valve out of its grommet and w/the engine idling, you should feel the suction if you put your finger over the end of it. If it is a 2-piece rear seal, you should spin the seal in in the block and rear cap a few degrees. This keeps the mating surfaces of the seal and the split in the rear cap offset from each other, giving it less of a chance to cause a leak.
Hope this helps,
---TEX---
TEXAS-HOTROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:44 PM   #3
jdv60
AF Newbie

Re: Postal Jeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXAS-HOTROD
Is it engine oil or tranny fluid? If the p.c.v. valve clogs up it will most likely push oil out of the rear main seal. Pull the pcv valve out of its grommet and w/the engine idling, you should feel the suction if you put your finger over the end of it. If it is a 2-piece rear seal, you should spin the seal in in the block and rear cap a few degrees. This keeps the mating surfaces of the seal and the split in the rear cap offset from each other, giving it less of a chance to cause a leak.
Hope this helps,
---TEX---
Thank you for your advice,I checked the leak to make sure what kind of oil is leaking. It is engine oil, the pcv valve is ok and my rear seal is one piece only.
Anyway I really appreciate your suggesstion,At least I learned some thing from you.
God Bless,
Old 10-14-2003, 07:30 PM   #4
TEXAS-HOTROD
AF Regular

rear seal

Thanks for the kind words, man.
I wasn't sure if it was a 1-piece or a 2-piece seal. Sometimes after years of use a crusty film builds up on the sealing surface which would cause a new seal to leak. If you take it back apart, you might want to use an old tooth brush and scrub it down with a can of carburetor spray clkeaner. Also look closely on the crankshaft and see if a groove is worn where the seal rides. Something is not up to snuff if a new seal is leaking.
Nothing like having to do a job twice (been there, done that).
Be cool,
---TEX---
TEXAS-HOTROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 09:45 PM   #5
jdv60
AF Newbie

Re: rear seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXAS-HOTROD
Thanks for the kind words, man.
I wasn't sure if it was a 1-piece or a 2-piece seal. Sometimes after years of use a crusty film builds up on the sealing surface which would cause a new seal to leak. If you take it back apart, you might want to use an old tooth brush and scrub it down with a can of carburetor spray clkeaner. Also look closely on the crankshaft and see if a groove is worn where the seal rides. Something is not up to snuff if a new seal is leaking.
Nothing like having to do a job twice (been there, done that).
Be cool,
---TEX---
I really appreciate your help.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:02 AM   #6
2Metros
AF Newbie

Re: Postal Jeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdv60
Can someone who knows AM GENERAL help me with my problem?
I have 83 AM General Postal Jeep 4 cylinder 150 engine series.
Have replaced my rear main seal on the engine,my front seal on my tranny and I still can't get rid of oil leak between my engine and Tranny.
Any suggestion will be very much appreciated.
jdv60
The four is a Pontiac Iron Duke. The tranny is a TorqueFlite. Good luck.

My advice, if you have to pull the engine, would be to replace it with a Jeep 151 four. Very durable and plenty of them out there, the result of swapping Chevy V8s into Wranglers. The Jeep 2.5 is a cut-down AMC six and it's anemic but bulletproof.
2Metros is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hummer (AM General) > General Discussion