Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
boodie
AF Regular

4WD Rotor Locknut

OK, my 02 Xterra 4WD has rotors that are crumbling apart...(Winter salt on roads)...

I've replaced the pads twice (157000kms) and my repair manual (bwahahahahaha!!!) says I need a special spanner to remove/install the locknut for the rotor/bearings.

Where can I find this special spanner??? What exactly is it called???

Does Autozone rent it???

Thank You!
boodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
boodie
AF Regular

Re: 4WD Rotor Locknut

OK, just finished this job up...The locknut was a breeze...I have the auto-lock free-running hubs...

Took the center cap off, and the first big problem was that furschlugginer snap ring...the one with notches instead of holes...finally got it off, and the thingy it held on, then unscrewed the Phillips head screws for the locknut, and just tapped the nut with a drift and my hand, and it spun right off...

Separating the rotor from the hub took a BMFH and lots of swings...I bought two rotors and a set of pads from Autozone...when I started putting everything back together, I found a problem I didn't know I had...a frozen slider...twisted that out and ran a 11mm drill down the hole to clean out the rust, filed the rust off the slider, and greased it up and re-installed it...

Autozone didn't have any grease seals, and I was feeling lazy, so I'll put off repacking the bearings until next week...Now that I know how to do it, and everything is freed up, it'll be quicker...

I'll pull the rear drums off next week, too...if the rotors were crumbling away, the drums can't be far behind...
Old 06-07-2009, 07:36 AM   #3
boodie
AF Regular

Now I have an unexpected problem...my front hub grease seals look different from the grease seals stocked by AutoZone or CarQuest...

I haven't tried to punch my seals out yet...but they look like they mount on the outside diameter, which is ~ 3 3/8"...the seals from the Zone and Quest are ~3 1/16"...and they are flanged (the flange does measure ~3 3/8")...

My "2002" Xterra is registered as such; it is a Canadian Xterra; the door sticker say "08/2001" for date of manufacture; and my 4WD hubs are the auto-lock, free running hubs...

The seals they gave me are Timken 710072 seals...

I really hate to punch these old ones out (and probably ruin them) and find they aren't the right ones (but there aren't any stock numbers for the auto-lock/free running hub seals)...

Anyone who has done this, can you confirm/deny the Timken seals???

Thank You!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX

Same seal used from 00-04. They mount on the ID.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
boodie
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadX View Post
Same seal used from 00-04. They mount on the ID.
Thanks for the reply, Brent!

I'll confirm that in a couple hours...

I was worried that the manual locking hubs had a smaller seal than the auto-lock free running hubs...and I got the wrong ones...

I'm still annoyed that the lower caliper sliders use a neoprene sleeve and the uppers are solid steel...the lower one (with the sleeve) keeps seizing up with crap...
Old 06-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
boodie
AF Regular

Yep, Brent is right again!!! Thank You, Brent!!!

The Timken 710072 seals are the correct ones. Got both sides cleaned and repacked. All 4 bearings look good...one inner race looked like it had a brownish tinge to it...but no obvious scoring...there was some rusty dust on the seal, maybe some got past the seal...

Well, time will tell...
Old 07-07-2009, 06:16 AM   #7
boodie
AF Regular

Had a chance this holiday weekend (July 4th) to pull the rear drums...They're crumbling away, too...Smacked them with a ball peen; big 1 1/2" chunks of crusty rust fell off...Shoes don't look all that worn; maybe half their original thickness left...

Looks like new drums in my near future...Maybe shoes, too...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail