Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
wellthissucks
AF Newbie

Question 2009 Avenger SE 2.4L - Sudden problems starting.

Hello vehicle enthusiasts,

Yesterday morning I moved my vehicle to let someone else out of the driveway. Started no problem, no unusual noises, everything seemed fine. I left the car running as I was planning to leave for work in 10 mins and it was kind of chilly out before the sun came up. When I returned to the vehicle to leave for work I found it off, radio still playing music and the vents still blowing air. I tried to restart it and it attempted to turn over for ~20sec (normally only cranks 3 times before starting) and then the electricity faded out completely. I try again and it does less this time. The third time it barely turned over once before all dash lights go out momentarily and then come back on. At this point I'm thinking dead battery.. Weird because I haven't noticed any other issues with anything electric aside from intermittent passenger window control.

I tried to jump start and it gave more of an attempt to start but still no luck. Had my girlfriend try and start it while I stuck my head under the hood and now I smell burning plastic/wires. Have her try again and a puff of smoke comes center of the engine compartment, again burning wires smell. I take out the whole intake, fuel injectors, intake manifold, I remove the starter, have it tested, its shot. Bought a re-man starter, put everything back together and try again, barely turns over once. Try to jump it again and once again it gives more of an attempt (you can tell the new starter is at least cranking) but still it wont start. I charged my battery overnight (it took the charge no prob) and this morning I cranked it a ton and it wont start. I heard a sputter of the engine wanting to start a couple times but it just wouldn't take.

I'm kind of at a loss at this point. I don't think its my battery because it took the charge.. Maybe there is a short in the system somewhere? I'm positive I hooked the ground cable back up..

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Connor

EDIT: Engine light has been on forever.. checked days before this happened and its throwing (2) codes - P2004 & P0700.

EDIT2: Remembering now while reading my post back to myself.. it was having some trouble starting in the last week leading up to this. (would crank 5-7 times before starting instead of the usual 3-4)
wellthissucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2009 Avenger SE 2.4L - Sudden problems starting.

Did you ever find the source of the "burning wiring"?
Old 09-16-2020, 09:41 PM   #3
wellthissucks
AF Newbie

Re: 2009 Avenger SE 2.4L - Sudden problems starting.

Thanks for your reply.

Well, the puffs of smoke and the smell stopped with the new starter.

Double checked the starter cables, everything looks solid.. no sign of melted wire casings, bubbles in connectors, or anything out of shape..

the spark plugs are definitely worn..
While definitely a problem I'm not convinced that's the main issue here.

I tried turning it over with a spark plug out to see if it would free up some pressure, maybe help something turn easier. No difference at all.
I took a little video of it trying to turn over... its a sad display:

https://imgur.com/rbWkHGq

I can see the piston moving up and down (super slowly of course) when looking in the empty spark plug socket. so I know the engine is cranking.. just super slowly.

I tested all the spark plugs with the DMM outside the vehicle, the lowest was 5,800 ohm and the highest was 7000 ohm. Then I made sure I was getting spark physically by testing cylinder 1 spark plug with the coil attached, connecting it to some metal under the hood. We're good there.

I tested my fuel injectors with the DMM on the ohm setting as well.. they're all very close in readout. nothing standing out to me as faulty.

I cant find any bad fuses...

I figure if I had a bad battery it would still start with a jump right? If it was a bad alternator, same story, should still start with a jump, right??

I don't have a compression tester that will reach the spark plug socket right now so I cant check that yet...

Could it be my timing belt? I'm so lost..
wellthissucks is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > General Discussion