Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info
How-to | Technical Info A wealth of information at your disposal.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 07:01 AM   #16
xjcamaro89
AF Regular

if dexcool is more acidic than the green stuff then why would the green stuff eat the gaskets faster?
xjcamaro89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:06 PM   #17
dmbrisket 51
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to dmbrisket 51
Re: Got air in your heater core? Need help getting rid of it?

who said dex was more acidic?
dmbrisket 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:19 PM   #18
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: Re: Got air in your heater core? Need help getting rid of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbrisket 51
Yea, I don't think anyone said that.

I will have to check, but it wil become corrosive or acidic when exposed to air and heat.

Either of the conditions is damaging.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:56 PM   #19
xjcamaro89
AF Regular

I beleive Blazee said it

"Essentially wolfox and BlazerLT are both correct.... Dexcool uses OAT (Organic Acid Technology). Higher concentrations of dexcool means higher concentrations of acid. The higher concentrations of acid cause the coolant to become ionized and "eat" or "burn" through the core."

And BlazerLT, i have read many of your posts in many topics and it seems that you are very negative about everything that is said on this forum, im sure that im not the only one that has noticed that.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:07 PM   #20
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcamaro89
I beleive Blazee said it

"Essentially wolfox and BlazerLT are both correct.... Dexcool uses OAT (Organic Acid Technology). Higher concentrations of dexcool means higher concentrations of acid. The higher concentrations of acid cause the coolant to become ionized and "eat" or "burn" through the core."

And BlazerLT, i have read many of your posts in many topics and it seems that you are very negative about everything that is said on this forum, im sure that im not the only one that has noticed that.
What? Negative what?

Yea, I am negative about everything aren't I ya tool.

Who made this thread arse? ME! And that is a positive contribution to this forum about how to bleed air out of your cooling system, not a thread for you to discuss your hate for Dexcool.

Besides, I am no the one who questioned you saying it was acidic, dmbrisket 51 was.

So go back to your 2 green coolant threads if you want to be a baby.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:16 PM   #21
xjcamaro89
AF Regular

OK BlazerLT you had this to say about the quote

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yea, I don't think anyone said that."

So yes you did!
Old 11-08-2005, 02:22 PM   #22
xjcamaro89
AF Regular

And another thing it doesnt look like you have much of a life outside of you "awesome" 95 blazer, because if you look down the list of threads, all I see is your name on every thread, so when your done living online on the blazer forums, why dont you get a real job and grow up not worry about what every little thing anyone posts or throws out there. Ok, so who is the tool now, LOSER!

I wish I had nothing to do all day but sit around and read the Blazer Forums and tell everyone what a bad job they are doing with their car and how they should be posting threads on this stupid forum.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:52 PM   #23
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
And another thing it doesnt look like you have much of a life outside of you "awesome" 95 blazer, because if you look down the list of threads, all I see is your name on every thread, so when your done living online on the blazer forums, why dont you get a real job and grow up not worry about what every little thing anyone posts or throws out there. Ok, so who is the tool now, LOSER!

I wish I had nothing to do all day but sit around and read the Blazer Forums and tell everyone what a bad job they are doing with their car and how they should be posting threads on this stupid forum.

It is called owning your own business and I am sorry I like helping nice Blazer owners, not childish posters like yourself.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:19 PM   #24
xjcamaro89
AF Regular

Thumbs up

BlazerLT, i sent you a private message, please read
Old 11-08-2005, 03:29 PM   #25
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
BlazerLT, i sent you a private message, please read
Ok, we are kewl.

to everyone, xjcamaro89 and I have buried the hatchet and both have straightened this out.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:25 PM   #26
dmbrisket 51
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to dmbrisket 51

Quote:
I beleive Blazee said it

and they are correct if you think about what they said, the higher concentration of DEX COOL means higher acid levels.... meaning if your not at your 50/50 water to dex if you are 75/25, there is more acid there then if the mix is correct, the green stuff is accually more corrosive then dex, dex just has a problem with air, which unfortunetly, is all around us
dmbrisket 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 07:09 AM   #27
xjcamaro89
AF Regular

thank you
Old 11-09-2005, 08:27 AM   #28
blazee
Problem?

Re: Re: Got air in your heater core? Need help getting rid of it?

Quote:
and they are correct if you think about what they said, the higher concentration of DEX COOL means higher acid levels.... meaning if your not at your 50/50 water to dex if you are 75/25, there is more acid there then if the mix is correct, the green stuff is accually more corrosive then dex, dex just has a problem with air, which unfortunetly, is all around us
The green isn't more acidic or corrosive than Dexcool. The green contains silicates, borates, and phosphates which make it more alkaline not acidic. These corrosion inhibitors do, however, make the antifreeze very abrasive. The abrasive (not corrosive) properties of the green antifreeze is what causes wear to the system. Dexcool uses OAT and not the abrasive corrosion inhibitors, which would make it much better at protecting cooling system componets, IF it weren't for Dexcool's one weakness .... it is easily contaminated and once contaminated, it becomes destructive.

Under perfect conditions, Dexcool would be far superior to the old standard green antifreeze. However, your engine is not a lab, and conditions aren't always perfect. I use the green stuff, knowing that the abrasive additives that it contains are slowly wearing the cooling system componets, because in my opinion, it is safer. I consider it safer, because you don't have to worry about it sludging up and plugging your system. Another concern with dexcool is that it has less of an "alkaline reserve" due to it's acidic properties, because it has less of an alkaline reserve it can become acidic to the point that it becomes ionized, and electrolysis damages your system without you even knowing, until it's too late. It takes the silicates in the green antifreeze years to wear through the system, extreme cases of electrolysis can eat through system componets in a matter of days.
blazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:43 AM   #29
xjcamaro89
AF Regular

If the green stuff has all of these abrasives in them, then why dont cars that take the green stuff have the problems that you are talking about in the dexcool cars. This is what Im saying, in the cars that take the green stuff, the coolant is in contact with the same type of rubber and plastic conponents as the dexcool cars, now maybe not in the same location, but somewhere in the coolant system both types of cars coolant parts are exposed to the coolant one way or the other, so if I use the green in my dexcool car wont i run the risk of the problems everyone else faces with the green coolant cars? You get what im saying? Just to me in my mind all cars coolant systems are basically the same and your going to have the same problems with the green stuff in either type of car. i think thats what im trying to say.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:54 AM   #30
blazee
Problem?

A newer car with the green stuff will have the same problems with the green stuff that the older ones do. (which is not much) The wear caused by the abrasives is minimal when compared to the time it takes to cause problems.

Changing older cars over to Dexcool will not yield much of a benefit, because it doesn't protect the old lead soldered copper and brass componets as well as it does newer aluminum systems.
blazee is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info