Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 6 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 10:20 PM   #1
bugggy
AF Newbie

Question 635csi shock replacement

I've agreed to replace both the front and rear shocks on my friend's 89 635csi however I'm having trouble finding a manual that covers 6 series models at the local library. I am a professional helicopter mechanic and i have substantial experience as a "hobby shop" auto mechanic but i have never worked on a bmw. If anyone can answer my questions, we would both greatly appreciate it.

Are there any special tools or procedures required to replace these shocks? (I believe his car is not equipped with the auto leveling system, I will find out for sure when i see his car tomorrow. If the system is on the car I plan on capping it off)

will i be able to replace the front shocks without having to disassemble any interfering components? (especially any components that could affect the alignment)

will i be able to replace the rear shocks without having to disassemble any interfering components? (especially any components that could affect the alignment)

i plan on doing the work on his drive way using a couple jacks and jackstands. The jackstands will support the frame of whichever end i am working on while i use the jack to support the axle keeping that particular side's spring compressed for easy removal/installation of the
shock.

Any advice would be helpful. Full procedures would be awesome.

thanks for you time!!

Last edited by bugggy; 12-09-2005 at 10:29 AM.
bugggy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 6 Series