Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
L8 APEKS
AF Newbie

WRX vs Volvo vs Hachi Roku (AE86)!

Had a quick run on the freeway while out running errands this afternoon.

I was merging into the freeway from the on ramp, and as I look back to check traffic I see a white AE86 Corolla with quite a lead on a silver WRX coming up quickly. I punch it merging as they go by and catch the tail-end of one of their runs.

I catch up with the WRX as he and the AE86 have another go, and both the 86 and I leave the WRX behind. The 86 stops accelerating though, as they haven't noticed I've joined the fray quite yet, and they've already pulled on the WRX again.

I come around to the driver's side as I pass the 86 and purge some boost into his ear, then change lanes in front of him to get on his passenger side. He comes up to me and paces for a second, and the passenger was sizing up my car with a smirk on his face. He turned and said something to the driver...then he drops gears and punches it from about ~70 and I follow suit.

The passenger in the 86 was excited as shit, looking back and forth between the driver and my car with a "WTF?!" look on his face. I am ever-so-slowly creeping on him...by 80 I had his nose at my back door. By 90, he's at the quarter panel. And by 100, he's just off the bumper.

At that point, I realized a few things...

1), I'm running out of gear, about to redline in 3rd and no more steam to pull...I reduce to ~70% throttle and let the car shift into OD so I can get past the 110 mark.

2), this little 86 is now running dead even with me since I am no longer at WOT...quick little bastich! He can't reel me in, but I have no more pull on him either. We may has well have been welded together, it was dead balls even.

3), there's traffic coming up, so I let off and grab some brake.

It was pretty clear in the lower range I was quicker anyway, and there's no point running deep into triple digits on the freeway in the afternoon.

So I look to my left after I slowed down, and I see these douchebags in the 86, who were at that moment in the carpool lane, PASS IN THE CARPOOL SHOULDER TO GO AROUND THE CAR THAT WAS IN FRONT OF THEM, and proceed in true assclown fasion with a textbook-perfect RICER FLY-BY.

I wanted to wave and say good run, but they were too cool (too embarrassed?) and continued to race their own shadow after myself and the WRX that was trying to keep up had long since slowed to ~70.

I can only assume they had a cammed/etc 20V (AE101 or 111) in that 86, it was a quick little car! Once upon a time I wanted that engine in an old MR2 but never got around to it.

It was a fun run, since you don't get to see 86's too often any more and I was a huge Initial D fan so I've always loved them...too bad the driver was a douche!
1995 Volvo 940 Turbo - 13 Second Grocery Getter!
2001 Jeep Cherokee - Camp/4-Wheel Mobile
L8 APEKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
lightbalt
AF Newbie

Re: WRX vs Volvo vs Hachi Roku (AE86)!

There's a guy in town with a Corolla who likes to rev his engine when ever he passes me. We did a quick 0-40 at a stop light, put a quick car on him then tried to see if he'd follow me to the hiway but he went straight and didn't take the challenge. I wonder if his was an AE86? Looked like it from the web pics I've seen...... could have been a good run....
Old 09-29-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
L8 APEKS
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbalt
There's a guy in town with a Corolla who likes to rev his engine when ever he passes me. We did a quick 0-40 at a stop light, put a quick car on him then tried to see if he'd follow me to the hiway but he went straight and didn't take the challenge. I wonder if his was an AE86? Looked like it from the web pics I've seen...... could have been a good run....
Well, it would only be a good run if he had a swap. They made 112hp and 100tq. Otherwise it would just be murder. lol.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
UnderEstimate Me
AF Enthusiast

Hmm, what a waste of a hachi. They need to be on the mountains, not on the highway racing. A bunch of my car friends are hachi freaks. Its fun to hang out with them though. Here is a picture of some of their cars at a bbq.

2005 Neon

Stage 1 PCM l K&N CAI l Mopar rice plate l 3'' TBE l Spring mod l PB shift knob l Mopar strut bars F&R l ACR sways l Tokico Shocks/ Tein Springs l Ricey wing removal l JMB Catch Can l QW FMIC l Autometer WB l Diablosport Predator
UnderEstimate Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
L8 APEKS
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderEstimate Me
Hmm, what a waste of a hachi. They need to be on the mountains, not on the highway racing. A bunch of my car friends are hachi freaks. Its fun to hang out with them though. Here is a picture of some of their cars at a bbq.

Sweet!

Yeah, they deserve to be on twisty roads. That's where they shine. Still, it's cool to have one with straight-line power too. Then it can do both! "Momentum cars" are only fun on the right roads. Porsche 944 is the same way, same with Miatas. Keep the speed and revs up, else you're gonna play playing catch up!
Old 09-29-2008, 10:32 PM   #6
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RACER D12

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8 APEKS
Sweet!

Yeah, they deserve to be on twisty roads. That's where they shine. Still, it's cool to have one with straight-line power too. Then it can do both! "Momentum cars" are only fun on the right roads. Porsche 944 is the same way, same with Miatas. Keep the speed and revs up, else you're gonna play playing catch up!
Amen to that lol even with turbos

Lindsey Boost Enhancer, Blitz EBC, Hot Air Intake, Koni Yellows
RACER D12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:30 PM   #7
L8 APEKS
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER D12
Amen to that lol even with turbos
You know, I raced 944's for a season. You can actually make them decently fast, especially the turbos, which ran a 14 flat out of the box and was the fastest car on the road for a few years running when it was released (86 was the first US 951).

But my '88 8v was nearly as fast as a stock turbo, quicker then the 16V S model, and it was on the stock head and block.

I had a 75 lb weight penalty for a (very) light flywheel (IIRC ~7 lbs), Centerforce clutch, 100 octane chip, ~11.5:1 CR, cam, ignition, 2.5" exhaust. That's about it. Car was of course gutted, with a cage.

In a straight line, it took deep triple digit speeds for a turbo to pull on it...and on a track, a turbo didn't have a chance given equal drivers. Even with a few mods.

If you're driving a turbo, you should be hanging with C6 Vettes with very little effort.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #8
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8 APEKS
You know, I raced 944's for a season. You can actually make them decently fast, especially the turbos, which ran a 14 flat out of the box and was the fastest car on the road for a few years running when it was released (86 was the first US 951).

But my '88 8v was nearly as fast as a stock turbo, quicker then the 16V S model, and it was on the stock head and block.

I had a 75 lb weight penalty for a (very) light flywheel (IIRC ~7 lbs), Centerforce clutch, 100 octane chip, ~11.5:1 CR, cam, ignition, 2.5" exhaust. That's about it. Car was of course gutted, with a cage.

In a straight line, it took deep triple digit speeds for a turbo to pull on it...and on a track, a turbo didn't have a chance given equal drivers. Even with a few mods.

If you're driving a turbo, you should be hanging with C6 Vettes with very little effort.
Yea im kinda at a fork in the road with the old Porch! I think the car might need rings (smoke on boost and oil coming out the exhaust) so im trying to decide if its the end of our relationship or if im going to do a engine rebuild. Since i have had the car its always leaked a little oil or had some issue so Ive never really had it at full potential. Kinda sick of that crap to It also depends if i can buy a new car without the extra cash from it.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:48 AM   #9
L8 APEKS
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER D12
Yea im kinda at a fork in the road with the old Porch! I think the car might need rings (smoke on boost and oil coming out the exhaust) so im trying to decide if its the end of our relationship or if im going to do a engine rebuild. Since i have had the car its always leaked a little oil or had some issue so Ive never really had it at full potential. Kinda sick of that crap to It also depends if i can buy a new car without the extra cash from it.
If you want to sell it, let me know.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
UnderEstimate Me
AF Enthusiast

I already called dibs.

2005 Neon

Stage 1 PCM l K&N CAI l Mopar rice plate l 3'' TBE l Spring mod l PB shift knob l Mopar strut bars F&R l ACR sways l Tokico Shocks/ Tein Springs l Ricey wing removal l JMB Catch Can l QW FMIC l Autometer WB l Diablosport Predator
Old 10-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #11
L8 APEKS
AF Newbie

Quote:
I already called dibs.
Damn you!

That's OK, my 928 is enough of a project to keep me busy for the next 2 years, 4 girlfriends and 3 jobs.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #12
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

You guys are crazy This is satan's car i feel bad for whoever ends up with it next lol

Old 10-02-2008, 11:21 PM   #13
UnderEstimate Me
AF Enthusiast

I just want another car. New projects are always fun compared to a car youve had for a while haha.

2005 Neon

Old 10-03-2008, 01:13 AM   #14
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon

Quote:

Very nice.

I never see any AE86s around here. I'd love to have one at some point. I have too many projects as it is. You should post up some pics of your Volvo sometime in the Racing OT section.

Very nice race!
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:33 PM   #15
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

On topic good runs. +1 for boosted bricks

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing