Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #1
K9Jake
AF Newbie

SHO vs. 08 Tundra

Car- 96 SHO stock.
Truck-08 Tundra 5.7 stock.

My friend and I got back from a work trip early this morning at about 0230, so we figured it would be a perfect time to run the Tundra and SHO since we had been talking about it for a couple weeks. It's always dead on the highway out here at that time, but we scouted the stretch we were going to run a couple times just in case. It was a nice rural stretch of the highway, about as straight as you could hope for, with good visibility in all directions.

First from the dig: We ran dead even up till about 60. At that point he walked me like a dog. He put about 2-3 car lengths on me before I could stop the pull at about 90.

Second from 30: Growing up I always had manual trannys so this was kind of an interesting challenge for me now having an auto. Rolling from 30 I had the car in 2 when we made the run. As soon as I got on it, I shifted back into Drive. The problem was, the car still bumped down to 1 on the jump, so I lost that little bit of time for the downshift that I was trying to avoid. Anyway he pulled about 2 cars on me till about 80, and I started slowly creeping on the gap. We shut it down at about 100, with about a car and a half.

Third/Last run from 60: Same basic story. Anywhere from a car to a car and a half.

We pulled over after and talked about the run. We are cool with one another so he busted my balls a bit about it, but thats to be expected, and it was all in good fun. Its always disappointing to lose even when you expect to, but thats just more motivation to keep working on the car.
08 Tundra 5.7's actually put up some respectable numbers for being as gigantic as they are, usually hitting high 14's stock with 0-60 in the low to mid 6's.

Now onto the Titan at work with the Nismo CAI, computer tune, and Cat back. My buddy in the Tundra ran him with very similar results to the SHO, so we'll see if I can hold my own, or if its going to be a repeat of this mornings performance.

Any tips on how to properly run from the roll in an automatic would be greatly appreciated. I've only got 1,2, and Drive, and 7K on the rpm's is my ceiling.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
jeepgclwj
AF Enthusiast

Re: SHO vs. 08 Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Jake
Car- 96 SHO stock.
Truck-08 Tundra 5.7 stock.

My friend and I got back from a work trip early this morning at about 0230, so we figured it would be a perfect time to run the Tundra and SHO since we had been talking about it for a couple weeks. It's always dead on the highway out here at that time, but we scouted the stretch we were going to run a couple times just in case. It was a nice rural stretch of the highway, about as straight as you could hope for, with good visibility in all directions.

First from the dig: We ran dead even up till about 60. At that point he walked me like a dog. He put about 2-3 car lengths on me before I could stop the pull at about 90.

Second from 30: Growing up I always had manual trannys so this was kind of an interesting challenge for me now having an auto. Rolling from 30 I had the car in 2 when we made the run. As soon as I got on it, I shifted back into Drive. The problem was, the car still bumped down to 1 on the jump, so I lost that little bit of time for the downshift that I was trying to avoid. Anyway he pulled about 2 cars on me till about 80, and I started slowly creeping on the gap. We shut it down at about 100, with about a car and a half.

Third/Last run from 60: Same basic story. Anywhere from a car to a car and a half.

We pulled over after and talked about the run. We are cool with one another so he busted my balls a bit about it, but thats to be expected, and it was all in good fun. Its always disappointing to lose even when you expect to, but thats just more motivation to keep working on the car.
08 Tundra 5.7's actually put up some respectable numbers for being as gigantic as they are, usually hitting high 14's stock with 0-60 in the low to mid 6's.

Now onto the Titan at work with the Nismo CAI, computer tune, and Cat back. My buddy in the Tundra ran him with very similar results to the SHO, so we'll see if I can hold my own, or if its going to be a repeat of this mornings performance.

Any tips on how to properly run from the roll in an automatic would be greatly appreciated. I've only got 1,2, and Drive, and 7K on the rpm's is my ceiling.

Its an automatic just push the gas and go. I know in my car if Im racing I put it in 3rd gear and stay in the whole race.

I might be wrong but shifting automatic = not good.........

358rwhp/358rwtq with stock LS1 intake
A4 3.23 lid, pacesetter lts, ory, 243 heads, SLP LMI, ZO6 cam, BBK SSI intake, 85 mm
jeepgclwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
lightbalt
AF Newbie

I seen a Tundra that was TRD supercharged running low 13s at the track, moved pretty good for a big sucker.....
Old 09-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
K9Jake
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgclwj
Its an automatic just push the gas and go. I know in my car if Im racing I put it in 3rd gear and stay in the whole race.

I might be wrong but shifting automatic = not good.........
I gotcha. Trust me, I'm not looking to shift an auto like its a bump shifter or anything. My reasoning for going to 2nd from a roll was if I was in Drive, and gas it, it's going to take that extra split second to hit the downshift. Versus if I start in 2nd, gas it, and then bump it immediately to Drive. By doing that, it will still wind out, but should not have to downshift. Meaning I should already be in the proper gear. The problem was, I misjudged the gearing, and didn't realize my car can go up to about 50ish in 1st gear. Thus the reason my car still downshifted even in 2nd. Anyway, I only tried it on the second run, just to see how it would work out. I was just looking for advice to see what you more experienced guys do. I will probably give it a try just like you say, and not try to over analyze it.
Thanks.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #5
K9Jake
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbalt
I seen a Tundra that was TRD supercharged running low 13s at the track, moved pretty good for a big sucker.....
From what I've read, that TRD S/C kit specs at 504hp and 550 lbs ft. Thats pretty nasty for a truck thats already quick. And it's not really even a sport truck like a Lightning or anything. Pretty impressive, to me anyway.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
MZR_47
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to MZR_47

They also get 24 gallons per mile. But that would be worth it to me

Silencer Delete | SPT Catback | Megan Racing DP | TEIN Flex Coilovers | Front and Rear Sway Bars | DBA Rotors | TurboXS UTEC | 18 psi
MZR_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZR_47
They also get 24 gallons per mile. But that would be worth it to me
24 gallons per mile!? that's the most horrendous gas mileage i've ever heard of!
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #8
MZR_47
AF Enthusiast

I know, not realistic, but I know of cars that get 3 gallons per mile.

Silencer Delete | SPT Catback | Megan Racing DP | TEIN Flex Coilovers | Front and Rear Sway Bars | DBA Rotors | TurboXS UTEC | 18 psi
Old 09-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
AMGalltheway
AF Enthusiast

as far as the auto shifting goes my car has a downshift button at the bottom of the gas pedal's travel.
My torque curve goes from 2k-4/4.5k considering its a diesel and redlines at 5K. With that in mind if i floor it, depressing the downshift, my car will run like this:
1st gear 0-25 Mph
2nd gear 25-45Mph
3rd gear 45-75Mph
4th gear75-in theory 120Mph(i've only gotten it to 105/110 before i ran out of room)
this runs the engine out in each gear and there is considerable lag in first gear after 4K Rpm. So far as acceleration goes my best is when I push the throttle to the floor but do not engage the downshift.
Then it looks something like this.
1st gear 0-20Mph(1K-4KRpm)
2nd gear 20-40Mph(2K-4.5KRpm)
3rd gear 40-75Mph(3k-4.5KRpm)at this point I engage the downshift because i can utilize all of third gear. Hope this helps.

AMGalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGalltheway
as far as the auto shifting goes my car has a downshift button at the bottom of the gas pedal's travel.
My torque curve goes from 2k-4/4.5k considering its a diesel and redlines at 5K. With that in mind if i floor it, depressing the downshift, my car will run like this:
1st gear 0-25 Mph
2nd gear 25-45Mph
3rd gear 45-75Mph
4th gear75-in theory 120Mph(i've only gotten it to 105/110 before i ran out of room)
this runs the engine out in each gear and there is considerable lag in first gear after 4K Rpm. So far as acceleration goes my best is when I push the throttle to the floor but do not engage the downshift.
Then it looks something like this.
1st gear 0-20Mph(1K-4KRpm)
2nd gear 20-40Mph(2K-4.5KRpm)
3rd gear 40-75Mph(3k-4.5KRpm)at this point I engage the downshift because i can utilize all of third gear. Hope this helps.
that's how most auto's with overdrive do it. run it in regular old "drive" through the first 3 gears so it will run to red line on all of them, then click it into overdrive as you hit the end of third to get it into 4th gear.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

Send a message via MSN to Greenblurr93

my buddy has a 08 Tundra with a full exhaust and a custom ECU remap... the sucker pulls HARD... even without the SC... as for gas mileage... i average 16 in the city and 22 highway
Greenblurr93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #12
K9Jake
AF Newbie

AMG, BP2K, thanks for the tips.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #13
L8 APEKS
AF Newbie

Funny story.

Back in the day, maybe ~2000 or so, I was at Carlsbad Raceway with my old Corrado.

A red Civic EX turbo staged against...get this...a stock Tundra V8.

The Tundra ran a low 15, the Civic Turbo ran a high 15.

It was hilarious.
1995 Volvo 940 Turbo - 13 Second Grocery Getter!
2001 Jeep Cherokee - Camp/4-Wheel Mobile
L8 APEKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:21 PM   #14
VR43000GT
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to VR43000GT

^^I could see it. Even if the Civic was faster doesn't always mean it's going to get a better time. I know a guy who has a low 12 second VR4 and when he took it to the track he bogged it off the line to the point he almost killed it, almost came to a complete stop after bogging it, then slowly started to take off agian until he was safely in first gear where he then punched it and ran a 15.8 at 102 mph. Lol, one of the ugliest drag races ever though.

VR43000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:43 PM   #15
MZR_47
AF Enthusiast

That would have been priceless to watch.

Almost as good as my first run ever.... 16.79 @ 95

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing