Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 06:51 PM   #1
DiGiTaLEcLiPsE
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to DiGiTaLEcLiPsE
Subs And Amps.

I searched the forum for something about making sub woofers and amps but didn't come up with anything. All of the threads said go to hoppin hydros, but I was hoping of making my own ( having a challenge ) instead of buying one on the internet with just a few clicks of the mouse.

Does anyone know how to make subs? If anyone does, please make a how-to.
DiGiTaLEcLiPsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:26 PM   #2
phatmitsu
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to phatmitsu
Man use the Damn search... Im just playing man.. I only remember one person on here trying to make some subs and he made them out of melted drinking straws.. I dont think he really went into how he made them.. I think making them might be harder then its worth due to alot of places make them and they are pretty cheap.. As for amps those are pretty straight forward to scratch build.. Take some sheet stock and glue a few pieces together till you get your desired thickness. Ones your there cut it to desired size. Then take a razor saw and cut some ribs into the top for the cooling fins.. That will get ya a basic looking square amp. Other designs would be alot harder. Best thing todo is just find a pic of something ya wanna make and just carve some plastic till it looks like it.. I know none of that prob helped ya but Its worth a try... Hit me up on aim if ya need anymore explaination.. Later Rick
Old 01-24-2004, 04:45 PM   #3
SonyMobile
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SonyMobile Send a message via Yahoo to SonyMobile
I have spent countless hours on the net, searching for scale subwoofers, and have come up with nothing, and i dont really want to order anything from any site, yes hoppin hydros has them, but they are american and i am canadian, and i dont wanna pay to much for a couple chunks of plastic, and then have them shipped here

So if you find anything, make sure you post it, for amps i do exactly what phatmitsu said, just cut some rectangnles or squares from styrene sheets, and add details after you glue em together

for subs, i have yet to try this but, cut a circle out of styreme and then cut the end peice off a marker lid, glue it to the circle, and you have an inverted sub with a nifty looking magnet/basket assembly... like i said i have yet to try it, but i think i might go and look for some old markers now.
SonyMobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 04:53 PM   #4
DiGiTaLEcLiPsE
AF Enthusiast

I've been thnking for a long time after I posted that image on how I can make a subwoofer and I think I know how to! Give me time to think a little more.. maybe the idea I have will work..
Old 01-25-2004, 12:12 AM   #5
jswillmon
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jswillmon
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...rs&FVPROFIL=++
I orderd some from Tower hobbies, i like ordering small detailing supplies and tools from them b/c if there is a green check under the parts express eligible colum then the shipping charge is just $3.99 american.

they have more than is listed here, i just searched for speakers. Just do a little of poking around you'll find some. I got some 6x9's, amps, batteries, and several types of subs in single and double boxes.
jswillmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 12:13 AM   #6
Jiminee64
AF Newbie

Re: Subs And Amps.

Another possibility is using buttons. Have a look in a sewing store and there will be literally hundreds of shapes and sizes to choose from, it is not to hard to find one the right size and shape. Then fill the thread holes with putty, paint and your done. I am working on a couple now, I will tryuto finish them this week and take some pics to show you what I mean. They may not be perfect but it is a good start, it just depends how much time you are willing to spend on them and best of all they are cheap!
Old 01-25-2004, 12:41 AM   #7
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

This is how I would do it:

First I would mock it up in paper. It would take me a bit of trial and error to figure out how to cut the parts I would use because it would be easier (for me, anyway) to do it a few times instead of trying to plan it.

Cut a round peice of paper a bit bigger around than you plan to make the sub. Cut another, concentric round hole in the middle that is a bit bigger than you want the magnet thing in the middle of the speaker to be. Cut a slit from the inner circle to the outer circle going straight from the centerpoint to the outer edge of the big circle. Now, slide on edge of the slit across the circle, keeping the edges aligned and for a cone. This will be the speaker's cone, so make the angle rather shallow. Mark the seam, where the paper overlaps itself, so that when you take the speaker apart you will be able to rebuild it. (You should be taping this all together.) Repeat this step, with a steeper cone but with the same outside diameter as the first cone. This will be the basket. Separate the outer cone into 5-6 sections with a pencil. More on this later. Now, cut a round peice of paper to be the center of the speaker, it will be the same diameter as the inside hole of the cone. Then cut a round peice of paper that is diameter of the hole in the basket. Then make one that is a little larger. These will be the magnets and the spacers. Label the parts so that you will remember what is what. C for cone, B for basket, M for magnet etc.

Now you are ready to cut plastic.

Lay the parts out. I would suggest tracing them with sharpie (fine point) onto a peice of plastic that you can keep for posterity, you may have to make more later. From there, I would trace them onto scotch tape and transfer the shapes onto the plastic I was cutting (like in my snowboard tutorial). Transfer the shapes onto the plastic you will use to make the speaker with. Use thin plastic for the cone parts and basket, and thicker ones for the magnets and spacers (use your judgement). Remember the 5-6 sections in the basket part? Well, these will be cut out (remember being able to see through the basket?). Use a pin vise and drill to cut the corners, then open the holes in the basket. Now, using your paper measurements as a guide, start gluing it all together. Make the cone, the basket, glue them together, glue in the flat portion at the bottom of the cone. Glue a spacer ont he bottome of the basket, a magnet, a spacer, a magnet, a spacer. Take a couple small peices of styrene rod to make the screws that the wires attache two, glue them to one side of the magnet or basket, paint, wire, and you're done.

I bet that makes absolutely no sense. Oh well.

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 01:53 AM   #8
DiGiTaLEcLiPsE
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by willimo
I bet that makes absolutely no sense. Oh well.
Yup..

Maybe.... if you explained it with pictures?
Old 01-25-2004, 10:18 AM   #9
SonyMobile
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SonyMobile Send a message via Yahoo to SonyMobile
Well, you deffinatly have a creative mind, and I think I understand, although your instructions are a bit confusing for me, but they sound logical, just a tad to complicated for me... I would love to try this, but finding thing enough styrene in my area is a No No... everything is the same, its all thick as hell.. terrible selection, maybe ill try and figure this out using some card stock later..

Im also planning on trying out your snowboard thing later!

Great stuff willimo!
SonyMobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 01:42 PM   #10
DiGiTaLEcLiPsE
AF Enthusiast

Sooo.. will you try to post the same thing with pictures?
Old 01-25-2004, 01:48 PM   #11
digitalbanzai
AF Enthusiast

I like turkey, ham, and cheese on my subs.
digitalbanzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 03:05 PM   #12
DiGiTaLEcLiPsE
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Subs And Amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalbanzai
I like turkey, ham, and cheese on my subs.
ME TOO! WHAT A COINCIDENCE!