Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 08:34 PM   #1
randall729
AF Newbie

TOWNCAR 1994 is having rear lift problems

I absolutely cannot figure out this car. The air springs pump up and hold air, no leaks. They WILL NOT raise the rear of the car and I can't drive it. I have new shock absorbers o.e.m. , new computer module (in trunk ) new o.e.m. air pump compressor, I can't think of any parts I missed. Trying to do my own work if possible. Can any one give any suggestions. I feel it's a shame to keep the car parked.
randall729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #2
jerryg2112
AF Regular

Re: TOWNCAR 1994 is having rear lift problems

I don't have any experience with your car but I have a 99 Continental with the air leveling system in the rear also. There are only a couple more components in the system. There is a height sensor at each wheel and also there is a solenoid in each spring that opens and closes to let air in or out of the spring.
You say that it will not raise the car. Does the compressor run? How long? Are there any leaks in the air lines? Are all the connections where you changed parts fully inserted? Maybe your compressor runs but doesn't supply the pressure needed to inflate the springs or maybe the bleeder valve is stuck open.
Each spring has a solenoid that opens to let air in or out. The bleeder valve is in the compressor head. To lower the car the bleeder valve opens and the solenoids open. To raise the car the solenoids open and the compressor runs while the bleeder stays closed. You can manually check the solenoids by apply 12 volts to them. You can hear them open and close.
jerryg2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jerryg2112 For This Useful Post:
randall729 (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
randall729
AF Newbie

The springs inflate to the point that no more air can be put in them. This is the puzzle. The car should raise but will not. I'm almost wondering if the sway bar may be bent and is holding the car down? Does this seem possible?
Old 01-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #4
jerryg2112
AF Regular

If that were the case then when you jack up the car by the frame the wheel would not extend down. Try it and see what happens. If the wheel drops then I would think that it is not being restricted.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
All2kool
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall729 View Post
The springs inflate to the point that no more air can be put in them. This is the puzzle. The car should raise but will not. I'm almost wondering if the sway bar may be bent and is holding the car down? Does this seem possible?
It almost sounds as if you have the wrong Air Springs in the car, as in Air Springs for the Front of a Continental and not for the rear of a Town Car.

Where did you get them and what is the part number?
All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
jerryg2112
AF Regular

What I was wondering is how did you determine that no more air could be added and they were fully inflated? Is the spring fully extended so there is no more roll on the bottom?
Old 01-09-2016, 08:09 PM   #7
randall729
AF Newbie

Has the original equipment air spring bags as I know the original owner of the car.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:12 PM   #8
randall729
AF Newbie

I'm going to try this but I think the axle won't drop from when I jacked it up before awhile back. Once I get the new oil pan on then I'll concentrate on the rear end. That's why I'm asking questions about the air ride.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:30 PM   #9
randall729
AF Newbie

The springs are hard as a rock and the compressor shuts off when it can't put any more air in the bags. The bags don't lift above the white plastic center piston like some pictures show, and inflate surrounding the piston. There is tremendous downward pressure on the floor jack when I try to lift up the rear bumper (frame). This is what I know right now.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:05 PM   #10
randall729
AF Newbie

Here's what I did. The bags were deflated. I raised up the rear bumper quite high. The rear axle stayed on the floor and did not raise with the bumper. I put the key on. The compressor stayed off until I slowly lowered the bumper. The bags inflated and the compressor shut off. I lowered the car some more but the bags just appeared to follow the piston down to the axle and not holding up the car. They still stayed inflated. Also I checked to see that the bags are seated correctly and they are. The shocks are new and match the original Ford part number. Any ideas? Thank you.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:00 PM   #11
jerryg2112
AF Regular

From your post it seems like everything is fine meaning that there is no restriction of movement since you could raise the bumper. It also sounds like everything is operating correctly. Compressor runs, solenoids open, springs inflate, car rises. The problem is that the car is not rising enough.
I think your problem may be the sensors. Either you have a bad one or they are adjusted incorrectly. I don't know for sure how your system works but if it is like mine the module supplies a 5 volt reference voltage to the sensor and it monitors the return voltage. Moving the sensor thru its range should change the return voltage from 0.5 volts to 4.5 volts. Here is a link that I found on adjustment of the height sensor: https://www.2carpros.com/questions/l...ar-air-ride--2

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car