Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Shop Owner Advice
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Shop Owner Advice Discuss various issues relating to running an auto shop with other shop owners/employees.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 09:07 AM   #1
Redlinerz
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Redlinerz
Wnna open online store!! Help!!!

Hey! I am really new to this forum but it looks GREAT! Anyway I want to open up an online Import store and was wondering if anyone can help me out with what I would need. Such as Tax ID number, Register a buisness name, and Where should I go to city Hall or something? And about how much do you think it will cost me like fees and everything.... if someone can help me out I would really appreaciate it... I really wanna get started on it and just have it as an online store.... thanks a lot guys!!
Redlinerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 08:24 AM   #2
Redlinerz
AF Newbie

Re: Wnna open online store!! Help!!!

bump
Old 07-14-2004, 11:57 PM   #3
yoshimitsuspeed
AF Enthusiast

First you need a registered bussiness name. I got an app at wells fargo. Then ?????????????????????????????
yoshimitsuspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:19 PM   #4
4ss4s1n
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to 4ss4s1n

Well,if your still thinking about this,you can then get a good domain name,someone to maintain it.

Then you can open up a paypal account so you can recieve credit card payments.As for the tax id number and other official documents,ill look it up and see what I can find.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:26 PM   #5
4ss4s1n
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to 4ss4s1n

I found some info on google...

You can apply for your EIN (aka tax id number) here at irs.gov http://tinyurl.com/t6jo

Some more info on how to register a business name.
http://tinyurl.com/5vfch
Old 08-03-2004, 07:56 AM   #6
Redlinerz
AF Newbie

thanks... what i wanna do is be a drop seller...and basically what that is..is that i never buy any parts.... i just offer em and when someone orders something they send me the money...i take a small cut out of it and then call whatever manufactuer that has the part tell then my retail liscence and business name and tell then where to send the part and pay for it.... so really all i need is a buisness name and the tax id number????
Old 08-03-2004, 07:58 AM   #7
Redlinerz
AF Newbie

the ein is the same as a retail liscence?
Old 08-11-2004, 04:04 PM   #8
j-$$$$
AF Newbie

Dude,
What you REALLY need is to find yourself that drop shipper. Most manufacturers WON'T do it and if they will, then the prices are likely to be so high that you will be trying to sell at above "internet" market value.
It's a nice concept, but you will likely find it VERY difficult to implement.

Also, you have a long ways to go towards getting this started if you are still trying to find out about getting a business liscence. Google is your best friend. You don't even need an EIN. Dependin on how you structure your business (sole proprietorship, corporation, LLC, etc.) then your SS# may serve as all you need for an EIN.
YOur best source for all the legal stuff is your local city hall (where they will set you up with a tax # and the business name and liscence info) and the local small business office.

Good luck dropshipping....it has got to be one of the biggest myths/scams on the internet...if you can make it work, more power to ya, but you will be one of the lucky few...
j-$$$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 04:46 PM   #9
PROSTREET67
AF Newbie

If You Have To Ask Where To Get A Business License Then I Dont Think Your Quite Ready To Start A Business. Just My .02
PROSTREET67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 08:00 AM   #10
Highlyaspir8ed
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Highlyaspir8ed Send a message via AIM to Highlyaspir8ed

I'm going to have to agree with prostreet67 here... before starting a business you need to look into what all a business needs to sustain itself. by this I mean expenses and overhead that you are going to incure from doing business...

let me give you an example... say you are in Indiana... the guy you want to sell to is in North Carolina but the manufacturer of the product you want to sell is in cali (along with almost all the other manus for this industry) how do you figure out shipping. without an excellant shipping calculator you're going to be screwed out of money... plus you'll need to know the exact weight of the product you're going to ship.

another cost of a business like this for drop shipping. is drop shipping charges. as a manufacturer it's far easy to ship 100 - 1000 products then to ship one product to a different location every time. most companies will enlist a drop ship fee. this fee can range from $5 - $100 depending on what you're shipping $5 - $100 can kill your profit margin completly based on competitive pricing.

best bet for you for drop shipping... is find a wholesale company that has warehouses all over the US. wholesale companies for the most part will not charge a drop ship fee... due to the fact that their shipping setup is focused on smaller orders. and by having locations all over the US you'll cut down your shipping costs and increase your profit margins.

and your EIN number is your business tax ID to the fed govt. it's basically like a SS number for you only for a business. A retail license is something that you get from your local municipality to do business within the city/county limits. if you're looking to turn this into a mainstay of life then I suggest you get both. if this is something that you're looking to do part time the all you'll really need is your local retail license.
Highlyaspir8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:22 AM   #11
MRattu
AF Newbie

Hi Guys,
I am Muaz and here are some directories from which you will get in formation about wholesalers and dropshippers are as follows:
MRattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #12
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Please check the date of the last post in the thread and do not respond if that date is longer than 3 months from the current date.
From AF's Community Guidelines:
POSTING IN CLOSED OR OUTDATED THREADS:
If a thread has been closed, there is probably a logical reason for it. If you feel that the reason(s) for closure of the original thread are unjustified or wish further clarification feel free to contact any member of the moderating team. However, do not start a new thread about another closed thread.

Please avoid posting or voting in outdated threads. It merely clutters up the message board and makes it more difficult for fellow members to sort through the vast amount of information contained on the boards. If you have new and important information to add regarding a past discussion, feel free to start a new thread and if need be, add a link to the original thread.

The link to these guidelines can be found here:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...uidelines.html

Closed.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Shop Owner Advice