Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 12:30 AM   #1
7th_skyline
AF Regular

1/24 neon lighting effect (under car) ? and some other stuff

Anyone have any ideas on how to achieve this?
I'm building another out R31 GTS-R coupe, and I was thinking of green tint film on the windows (or even mirrored tint), and neon style glow from under the car (I'm planning to light the rest also, high and low).
My idea for the neons is this : green led in one end of a short styrene tube, sealed in, with clear sprue into the other end and then exposed and running down the car's undercarriage.
I am hoping the sprue would work to transmit the light along and "glow".
I'd just use LEDs but I think they'd look too pinpointed.

I'm hoping to light the front lights with either LED or grain of wheat bulbs, and the rear quad "hotplates" in red LED's. Can you get light blue LEDs?!? for that blue globe HID look

I want to hear anyones methods/Ideas on making the neons.

As for the build itself....which is starting soon, as soon as all the bits are together. Its got 19" Bersario spoke rims, and a "wagon muffler" (still not sure how that will look), it will be metallic DARK blue or black. I might still need to get a SAS brake set and some better race seats, and some carbon film for some of the other details. Its going to be somewhere between VIP (wheels, tint, lighting) and drift/circuit in terms of tuning/styling cues. Probably also going to fabricate a new wrap around front lip and maybe some side skirts, not entirely sure on that, may still keep the body itself pure GTS-R.
I've got HEAPS of ideas for this. I'd like to make it tough without being ricey, I just think the green glow would give it an "air of menace" in the dark...
7th_skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 12:40 AM   #2
PRIVATEER
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to PRIVATEER
Re: 1/24 neon lighting effect (under car) ? and some other stuff

The way you describe using clear sprue to transmit a glowing light will not work. Clear sprue will transmit light ,but not along its length,only at the tip. It works just like fiber optic cable. Your idea's for the headlights and tail lights will work though. Some white leds have a blue tint that would be perfect for the look you want. Finding very small leds may be tough, but if you are very careful, you can grind them down to almost nothing. I used to use leds to light up aircraft models. I am planning to use them on my Porsche to light up the head/tail lights and dash lights. Keep an eye on my in progress thread,and I will show how I do it.
PRIVATEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 01:35 AM   #3
BaNe
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1/24 neon lighting effect (under car) ? and some other stuff

there are some for sale on ebay I think.

Faster and Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

CompletelyStock except 17 Enkei RS6, Megan racing Downpipe-3" piping-megan racing muffler. no cat. K&N filter.
BaNe is offline   Reply With Quote