Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
NoRiceHere01
AF Regular

84 318 doesnt run

hey guys. heres the deal, cuz this car is sitting in my dads yard rusting and its either gotta be junked or run.

its an 84 318 stick shift. i only paid a few hundred bucks for the car, and i dont know its history, but it has not been screwed around with as far as stupid people pulling off sensors or emissions crap.

it all started when once in a while it would sputter like it was running out of fuel. then it would shut off and not start for a while. after a bit it would start agian.

even when running though, it wouldnt run with any power. the only reason i could tell there was a problem is because every once in a while, it would find this missing power and run like it obviously should.

i paid a ridiculous amount for new plug wires, i replaced the cap, rotor, and plugs and no change. i replaced the fuel pressure regulator and no change. i then replaced the fuel pump with one that doesnt require the auxiliary pump thats outside the tank, and the pump is running but still the car wont.

it will start and somewhat run, but it wont idle and you have to feather the gas to keep it barely running.

as far as i can tell, the sensors on the f.i. system are working ok as are the cold start injectors and crap.

im a good mechanic and this car has beaten me. it seems like this may be something unique to these cars with their L-jetronic system. anyone had this problem before? i know they made a ton of these cars. im thinking its a bad computer
Old 11-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
divot91
AF Newbie

Re: 84 318 doesnt run

may not be the puter, im having the same trouble with my 85 318i im leaning to the injectors, mine sat also for a time, and it will run rough then smooth out then run really rough, let me know if you come acoss any ideas, thanks norice.
divot91 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series