Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
lkrides
AF Newbie

I just bought in!

Hi all, I am new to the site. I just purchased a 2001 330xi for my wife. It has 91k and looks and drives great.

1 - Minor issue is it drifts slightly right with hands off the steering wheel. The dealer replaced the cv boots and some other front end parts pre-purchase. The drift is really minor I'm wondering if i should take it back.

2 - I am hoping somone can provide the name of a good mechanic in Frederick County, Maryland.

3 - Is there an interior/exterior care guide that anyone can recommend?
lkrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Re: I just bought in!

Welcome!

Check out York Automotive in Mt. Airy. Ed York runs a small indy BMW shop (in just about the last place you'd expect to find one), but he comes very highly recommended by area Bimmerheads. Good work, good rates. And if the car is pulling a bit, you may want to talk to him about an alignment.

I would also strongly recommend you check out BMWCCA NCC. The DC/Baltimore chapter is fantastic.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Broken-wrench
AF Newbie

A slight pull to the right MAY be normal on some roads depending on the crown of the road along with your alignment settings. I'd find out if they did do an alignment after the parts were replaced. I'd take it back & have them fix the problem at a no charge repair! You can check your alignment really easily by "stringing" the car. Get some orange fishing line & some concrete blocks or use jack stands. Set the blocks at each outside corner of the car. Make sure that when wrapping the fishing line on the blocks to keep it tight. Make a parallelogram with the string by moving the blocks. Keep the string about 1 inch from the center caps of the wheels to start with. Get the distance from the front wheels equal distant from the wheel center caps then measure the total string width at the front of the car. Make the same over all measurement apply in the rear end, giving you the parallel strings necessary to making your measurements.
Now, measure the distance from the front edge of the right wheel to the string. Write it down. Measure the distance from the edge of the rear of the rim to the string. That will give you the toe in or toe out on that wheel. Do the same for the other front wheel. They should be identical. If not, you could adjust them via the tie rod adjustments. You could check the rear toe as well using this method.

Just remember to have a parallelogram to start with. By centering the string in the center of the wheels, you have the greatest distance from the wheel center to work with giving you the most accurate readings.

I have been using this method of aligning a car for toe for years. On the Formula race cars I have worked on, we actually had jigs made up to fit on the car to run strings to. Every car in this years Indy 500 was aligned with strings!!! It works!! If you can find them, I also have a set of toe plates that are ground flat aluminum that sets up against the wheels with slots for tape measure attachment. Works even faster once you have a base parallelogram set up.
Broken-wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
sigmas
AF Newbie

I am thinking of buying it myself, but 2004 year. Have a safe driving experience!
sigmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Mr. Insurance
AF Newbie

I am sure you will really enjoy that car. Just keep up with the regular service work and it will last a long time. San Diego Auto Insurance
San Diego Car Insurance
San Diego Insurance Broker

Last edited by Mr. Insurance; 04-20-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Mr. Insurance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
samandy121
AF Newbie

Don't go to any local mechanic. Take it to the dealer only.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:23 AM   #7
Rickna
IS-F

Congratulations! I live my 02 330xi. Got it in Dec 09 with 50k mi. Be sure to have the front axles checked. They tend to be an issue. The drift could be due to the crown on roads, alignment, tire pressure or tire wear. Glad you're enjoying it!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series