Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 01:52 AM   #76
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
i never said the cars could handle the way they do simply b/c they have awd. they have well designed suspensions, as well as awd, which does help.

again... i told you i've driven both. have you?

you are very anti awd. i'm not completely for it.

you also mentioned failure in the caddies... audi didn't have that. that goes back to the support and backing, which cadillac didn't have. i'm quite sure that if they had the same backing and support that audi did, it would be a quite different ballgame.

an amazing driver can't do much if his car won't last the 24 hours.

you doubt my knowledge. that much is obvious. you think i'm basing this on an awd is better ideal. fuck that. i know better.

it comes down to which car handles better. as i've driven the cars noted, i can say that the handling is at least equal.

but again, you're telling me that these cars can't compete. which is fine.

i've noted that awd is, yes, an advantage. not some "be all, end all" kind of thing.
do you know about the s4 and tt suspensions? which are both very nice, well suited for handling corners, kinds of setups? and i'm not comparing a zo6. i said a corvette. just a normal one. and i said a 3 series. you pick.
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 01:52 AM   #77
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
FYRHWK1 you seem to have to got your information on how an AWD Car handles from playing to much Grandturismo.
Its pretty well accepted that it has a flawed pysics model when it comes to dealing with FWD and AWD cars.

And if you don't believe its possible to exit a corner under full throttle I will happily take you for a drive and show you how its done. (but you might want to bring a spare of pants)

I think you all need to take a step back and have a reread of the thread and try and think out side your own little "my favorite manufactor is better" attitudes.

FYRHWK1: you claim the G/Box in the Veyron must be crap because its based on technology developed in the 80s, but then claim the GM G/box is better even though its based on technology that has largly remained unchanged since the 50s.
I suggest you try and be a little more consistant in your arguments.

flylwsi: you have made some slightly incorrect statements regarding handleing road holding, sometimes its simply easier to either offer a full explanation or post a link to a full explanation than it is to deal with being mis quoted and taken literaly later on.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:57 AM   #78
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

thanks. i understand what you're saying completely.

on a side note... the post with the outwar link in it...

that's part of some game that people put links to... they get points for each person that goes to the link... there's another post in the comparisons forum that i noted the same thing on.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:44 AM   #79
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FYRHWK1
Quote:
Originally posted by Moppie
[b]FYRHWK1 you seem to have to got your information on how an AWD Car handles from playing to much Grandturismo.
Its pretty well accepted that it has a flawed pysics model when it comes to dealing with FWD and AWD cars.

And if you don't believe its possible to exit a corner under full throttle I will happily take you for a drive and show you how its done. (but you might want to bring a spare of pants)
I dont own Gran Turismo, but nice try. and i'd like to see what kind of turn you're attempting to exit with full throttle with, i'm sure there are some very nice gentle turnsaround which would allow that, most don't.

Quote:
I think you all need to take a step back and have a reread of the thread and try and think out side your own little "my favorite manufactor is better" attitudes.
This has nothing to dow ith the manufacturer, we've gone completely off topic with this thread but thats not the point, i'm not defending RWD due to the corvette running it nor am i talking against AWD because audi uses it

Quote:
FYRHWK1: you claim the G/Box in the Veyron must be crap because its based on technology developed in the 80s, but then claim the GM G/box is better even though its based on technology that has largly remained unchanged since the 50s.
I suggest you try and be a little more consistant in your arguments.
this is so wrong i cant even find it funny, here's EXACTLY what i said.

Quote:
Impressive transmission, but it read this...
So the bugattis transmission is just a 1980's model with an extra gear? not that theres anything wrong with it but how could that possibly be considered technologically advanced?
So tell me, where did i say it's crap? where did I ever even KNOCK the transmission? and you need to bone up on your GM history before you make comments like that, the 4L60E was designed in the late 80s, the 4L80E was designed in the 90s, neither are the TH350 or TH400 of the 50s nor are they the 2004R or 700R4, but again nice try.
I think the Bugatti gearbox is a fine design, it's overly complicated and I'd prefer a SMG box (am I allowed to say that? or do i have to remain GM biased all the time and say the Borg & warner design T-56 "owns" all of you?) due to its simplicity, and because it gets the job done well enough, a .5 second shift is fast enough for me.

and flylwsi, no fault can be put on anyone but GM for not supporting that effort, they shot themselves in the foot and make cadillac look incompetent, i'm not trying to say that we should crucify those drivers due to incompetence, GM is to blame for not backing their team up.
Fortunatly the C5-R effort was backed more fully, it showed in their performance as well.
And i'm not taking anything from audi, for all intensive purposes they had a better engine with direct injection and a better chassis to work with, just have to wait for GM's DFI V8's to hit the market and try again.

I'm not anti AWD, it just offers a new set of pros and cons, cons which in this kind of racing usually outweigh the pros, this isnt always the case obviously. and perhaps i'm misreading you, to me it seemed as if you were saying AWD offered more benefits then RWD in all aspects, my mistake if i didn't get this correct.
FYRHWK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 12:49 PM   #80
crayzayjay
CFA

Quote:
Originally posted by FYRHWK1
lol, first off, claiming the S4 handles better then the Corvette means that the S4 also handles better then a 911 turbo and 360 modena, I'll just let you chew on that.
Second the S4 won because f its driver, in 2000 the S4 lost to a RWD M3, why? DRIVER, what aren't you understanding about this? In the 2001 standings the S4 is ahead of numberous 911s, C5s, saleen SR's and M3's, why? the driver of the S4 is great, the same reason the S4 lost in 2000, the driver wasn't as good as the other.
I hope youre not implying a Corvette handles better than a 911 or Modena

Youre right, the driver is very important. An S4 is easier to drive than an M3, its easier to extract the performance.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 02:57 PM   #81
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

a Z06 is a Corvette. . . but no not better, far from that, more of on an equal playing field.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:39 PM   #82
Scott 02
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Scott 02 Send a message via Yahoo to Scott 02
The vette handles quite well.
Scott 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 04:53 PM   #83
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott 02
The vette handles quite well.
Not really- with better tyres it does- but without them it handles like a boat.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 06:54 PM   #84
crayzayjay
CFA

Quote:
Originally posted by FYRHWK1
a Z06 is a Corvette. . . but no not better, far from that, more of on an equal playing field.
I beg to differ... The Corvette has come a long way and its handling has improved dramatically but it's got some catching up to do yet... OK the Z06 improves things but still not up to the level of a standard Carrera. Throw in a GT3 and the 'vette's dead baby, the 'vette's dead :smoker2:
Old 01-24-2003, 08:31 PM   #85
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Not really- with better tyres it does- but without them it handles like a boat.
Even with the shitty runflats its capable of .93 G, but the Z06s major advantage over the C5 is the tires, it gets wider rubber & a real tire designed for performance.

and i should hope the GT3 handles better, it's basically a race porsche stuck on the street those cars have some amazing handling though, i'd kill just to drive a GT2.
Old 01-25-2003, 06:52 AM   #86
Scott 02
Banned

Games don't mean a whole lot. The Z06 Does handle alot better than the C5 and sits lower. So what is a GT3?
Old 01-25-2003, 07:59 AM   #87
crayzayjay
CFA

This:

360bhp race-bred engine, race-bred brakes, race-tuned, lowered suspension.. The finest 996 by far and one of the great Porsches
Old 01-25-2003, 09:31 AM   #88
Scott 02
Banned

Fine indeed, looks like it could make good wallpaper.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:53 AM   #89
crayzayjay
CFA

Precisely why i chose that particular pic
Old 01-25-2003, 10:08 AM   #90
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

the zo6 also has a very well upgraded suspension, which most aftermarket vette tuners look to for their upgrades.

i'm pretty sure that lingenfelter uses alot of zo6 parts. it's not just in the tires.

i never said awd was better than rwd. so yes, you were mistaken in that aspect...

in which type of racing were you talking about?

obviously, in le mans, you can't run awd. in the speed gt series, you can. and it proved that it can win.

that's all i'm pointing out.

in the ideal car, yes, it would be rwd, but it would also be purpose built with the correct balance, suspension, etc, like most race cars.

on the road it's a little different. i'd rather route 1000hp through all 4 tires for more grip than the rear two.
case in point...
i'd rather drive an awd skyline with 1000hp versus a rwd viper with 1000hp, only b/c i'd get sick of replacing those expensive rear tires after they're done fighting for traction on the street...

and this is of course, a very mild comparo, i know you could hook that thing up, but i think my point comes across