Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
View Poll Results: Which is the best genration of Trans Am's
1st generation 10 22.73%
2nd generation 20 45.45%
3rd generation 4 9.09%
4th generation 10 22.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 02:50 AM   #31
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

Re: Which Trans Am is the best

i like 1982 cause i have a 1982.but i wish that i had a SD455 in mine.The 2000 anniversary edition looks pretty intimidating with the ram air,maybe i like em all what the hay.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:51 AM   #32
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

i would like to see these people rag on a 1973 SD455 Trans Am,after racing one.I would imagine most people have never been in a car that fast.And anybody who thinks a SD455 is slow needs to get for real and face the facts.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:29 AM   #33
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Interesting post, hotrod chevyz... Most Chevy guys would rag on the Pontiac, regardless of what engine it had. You're right, 455SD is a great engine. Too bad they didn't make very many. But it's all ancient history now. There are a TON of goodies for the Injun Engine (traditional Pontiac V8) currently on the market. The biggest advantage of the SD was the heads. No longer. The aftermarket has stepped up, and Pontiacs are BACK! And with all the stroker kits around, the SD block isn't as desired as it once was. You can build a monster 461 with the right 400 block. The REAL place for a SD to "shine", is between the frame rails of a restored T/A or Formula!
But I'm still very glad to see a Chevy boy with the proper respect for the "other" GM race division.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:17 AM   #34
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

I currently have a highly modified trans am.It has a 1970 chevelle engine and a modified transmission.i have applied every trick in the book.a super duty is special because the design of the heads.ponchos have always had the best flow characteristics.I love my trans am,but without the chevelle engine,it would be just like any other 1982 t\a with a 305 ,a little slow that is..
Old 12-04-2004, 08:46 AM   #35
Gunstar1
AF Newbie

Personally I prefer the 2nd gen due to the SD-455. Give me a 73 SD-455 and I'd be happy forever. The 73-74 SD's could easily run 13's stock. Considering what everybody else inside and outside GM produced at the time, that's pretty good. The SD's were the fastest cars from GM in 73-74.

310 hp and 390 ft-lbs make for a pretty fast car. Forged pistons, rods, and crank, with 4 bolt mains is pretty tough to beat for strength. They say that, without modification, the bottom end of the engine can handle up to 600 hp.

The heads were modified RA-IV heads.

To clairify a couple of earlier posts, no 318 ever made anything close to 310 hp and 390 ft-lbs from the factory.

Also, Firebird/Camaro and Mustang are not muscle cars. They are pony cars.

Other Firebird/TA's that I like are the 89 TTA, the 69 TA, but would also consider anything with an LS1 in it.

1997 Pontiac Gran Prix GTP
1977 Pontiac Firebird
Old 12-04-2004, 10:07 AM   #36
Autofreefindersguy
Banned

I recall my High school days when I went to test drive a 73 Trans Am...

It was butt ugly Purple...and had a SD455 on the shaker scoope...Not knowing much about T/A's at the time I did not know what that meant...

The lady said, it takes awhile to warm up, but then it runs fine...
I said ok and took off for a drive...

I let it idle as I putted down a couple blocks and went to take a left turn...

I gave her about 3/4 throttle and nearly swapped ends!
Instant RUSH!

The thing flat out FLEW!

But hating the purple color and wanting a newer one (79) with T-Tops I let this great classic go...

Not the last mistake I have made...
Old 12-07-2004, 09:59 PM   #37
soxs
Banned

Re: Re: Which Trans Am is the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLightning
favorite is the 1st gen second fav is the 4th gen.
The 454 chevelles were known as "boat anchors"
Old 12-07-2004, 10:07 PM   #38
soxs
Banned

455 Sd

Need info on this motor....such as how many were made? What was the HP and torque rating?......By the way anything after 72 was shit....Cow catcher front clips and smoggers ended it for me.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:13 AM   #39
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Gunstar, actually (and unfortunately) there were no Kellogg forgings for 455SD. We sure wanted them! But the nodular iron cranks (in ALL 455s) have proven to NOT be the weak link in the chain. Very tough, considering they aren't a forging. Also, while the SD heads favor the RA heads on the exhaust side, the intake side was done with a "clean sheet of paper". The intake port, while occupying the same area in the head, is a bit different shaped, and out-flows any previous non-tunnel port Pontiac by about 20 CFM. This isn't to criticise, just illuminate... I LOVED the SDs, but reality infringes, and they simply aren't out there anymore. Collectors have most of them, and it's a dumb idea to carve up a pair for racing, when the Edelbrock and KRE heads work so well. Today, we're bumping 700 horsepower for a medium-level build using a "stock block" Pontiac. 600 is common with 93 octane. And with all the aftermarket goodies, the engines are living longer than ever before (just like other brands).

Soxs, A 454 a "boat anchor"? What planet did you recently arrive from? As much as I dislike Chevy, it would be foolish to make such a statement. This is like that debate over whether or not early '70s Dodge bodies are junk. Emotion comes into play. Only Dodge people argue the point. The rest of us already know... Same is true of big block Chevy. Aside from the sheer mass and weight, it could be considered the best all-around V8 power plant ever made by anyone. It's certainly as tough and powerful as the big Dodges, and perhaps a bit more versatile. It's as durable as ANY big Ford, and more powerful than most. In proper tune, it can make as much low-end as the Pontiac and Caddy BIG engines. Parts are on the shelf at every store. I could on and on. Again, I'm NOT a Chevy guy, but I AM a professional.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:33 PM   #40
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge

I think MrPbody makes the same post about emotion and facts in every forum. I'm reading it and all of a sudden he starts talking about Dodge bodies and Chevy engines, and I don't know where it comes from. This is supposed to be about which T/A is best, right?

So he's a professional, I truly respect that. The part that I can't understand is where other brands fit in here. Don't drag brand x through the mud to make your favorite brand look better.

Some guy makes a post that might look a little dumb, and he comes along and he's all like "but I'm a professional you guys, and you have no idea blah blah blah whatever" and it's just silly...

Come on MrPbody, if you have some useful information, then please enlighten us...
Old 12-16-2004, 09:05 AM   #41
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

I was trying to address a misconception by another, that interjected the off-brand statement. I simply wish to propegate information as accuately and relevant as possible. I was refering to a discussion in another thread, to illustrate a point, not to promote my personal feelings.
As for emotion? Well, it looks like we ALL have that issue...
Old 01-18-2005, 12:12 AM   #42
Fast_Firebird_2000
AF Newbie

i love the 93-97 with the ram air hood that can be order if any one is intrested at carhoods.com
Old 01-19-2005, 11:43 PM   #43
Hayapower
AF Newbie

First Generation..

Have owned 'many' T/A's.. Come and gone.. Although I'd like to have a few of them back.. But the 69 is the only one still around.. Make'n memories for 30 years!!!

.................HP...............
Old 03-17-2005, 08:07 PM   #44
Mr. Luos
Firebird Guy

I am a little biased....
1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747
Stock'ish'
Old 03-22-2005, 03:25 PM   #45
tuske427
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tuske427
Re: Re: Which Trans Am is the best

So far every one has listed their personal favorites. but what about the facts?

which one has the quickest quarter mile time?
Which one has the best handling/ braking ,etc..?
Which one sells for the most $$?

And do we include aftermarket "tuned" versions like the SLP Firehawk, Lingenfelter/ Hurst, GMMP or Mecham T/A?

The '69 T/A convertibles will likely sell for the most, the aftermarket ones are the quickest, and the last WS-6's off the assembly line are the best bang for the buck...

So many choices, so many Trans Ams, I love them all!

But I do own an '84 T/A, recently sold a modified '95 T/A, had a '68 bird and am on the hunt for a '73 T/A.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical