Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 03:04 PM   #16
tibby01
AF Enthusiast

this is what a turbo timer does, it allows the engine to idle a bit after you turn it off. this cools down the turbo gradually, instead of quickly, improving the life of it.
tibby01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:50 PM   #17
WingRoad
AF Newbie

Re: tiburon vs subaru wrx turbo?

I don't believe in this nonsense.
Note: I am not here to enforce any opinions on anyone, it is your own right to assume my position upon this article and to judge for it.

The Subaru Impreza WRX is absolutely phenomenal. I don't think it deserves to be compared upon an 2003+ Hyundai Tiburon, again, I am not trying to degrade the Tiburon in any way.
The Tiburon, indeed is a nice car. Is it a respectful car? Maybe. But all cars nowadays have to lack certain fields in order to compete, by the way, it is impossible to construct a perfect car, since there are driver likes/dislikes and other niches that sway consumer opinions on certain cars.
The point I am trying to make in this article is the attitudes brought by Hyundai Tiburon owners. A twin-turbo Tiburon is NOT going to promise anything. I do not understand how a dual-turbine compressor is going to generate full effects on the Hyundai Delta V6 engine. Also, this Santa-Fe based platform would not have ideal potentials of enduring FR-styled driving impersonations. A more idealistic approach is to apply a single-turbine, mid-range single injecting turbo kit, which should able this vehicle to obtain an additional 40 horsepowers, enough to make this into a mid 6-second car.
Now let us consider the original intentions upon the Tiburon. This car is a entry-level sports coupe targeted for younger generations, boasting the 10-year warranty more than its specifications to attract people like you, Tiburon owners. Excellent exterior design, yes. Excellent warranty, questionable. Quality, moderate. These are all elements a typical automobilist seeks. The WRX, on the other hand is NOT a typical entry-level sports sedan. I do not even want to attempt the specifications behind the WRX, becuase regardless of any opinions, the numbers and words speek for itself. Yes the WRX is a user-friendly mod hot-rod as opposed to its ancestors, yet it is still, a car that deserves full respect of its originality.
The owners of these forums seem to be constantly yacking upon the 'full-potential' of the Tiburon, none in which I finda common upon any Tiburon owners I know of. The Tiburon is meant to be a Tiburon. Not a Z33 350-Z, WRX, RSX, etc. I enjoy reading the Tiburon enthusiasts who push their cars to the limits by investing in after-market goodies to expand the limits of the car. THAT, I believe is repsectful. For the sake of the automotive community, I ask many of these postees to think twice before posting another 'victory' related article conscerning a Tiburon VS any competitive sports car. The reason why I haven't included any 'numbers' in this post is to communicate with the reviewers that rather read the bottom-line contents of certain posts, actually the people who comment every negative aspects of other cars compared with the Tiburon, in such cases, would be YOU, whoever is reading this post in the current. Normally I do not care about such ignorant community members, but some private issues regarding myself have pushed me to take actions upon this issue. Not to mention, I have witnessed many similarities that were present upon the Hyundai Tiburon 'owners' across the forum, thereby further encouraging me to post a reply like such other.

Thank you for your time.
WingRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:17 PM   #18
scottsee
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to scottsee

i read that like twice, you lost me both times. thats cool though.. your intitled to your opions. sorry man, but how is the best warrenty in america questionable? i would love for you to elaberate on that subject.

as for the attitude brought by tiburon owenrs. you talk about how a twin turbo would not promise anything? what would it not promise? please also elaberate on that. aditionaly, i hope you ment mid-six second 0-60 right!
scottsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 02:08 AM   #19
nisco
Tib Guy

Send a message via AIM to nisco Send a message via MSN to nisco

the wrx... looks liek shit... both exterior and interior
look at the price... 30k+ and a -18k.... so oyu get what you pay for...
the tiburon isnt shaped as a performance car....
subaru is a well known and respected co. .... they have been in the game for awhile... and have been makin these types of cars longer than hyundai has been in business.... so hyundai is tryin to build a backing and a reputation.... the warranty is in place because they stress the fact of the fact their parts are good and can be easily repaired...
the tiburon with enough mods can easily match a wrx.. and possibly over take one...
jus like an accent can take over a skyline...
any car can beat any car....
tiburon blows the wrx outa the water in both interior and exterior looks
a tiburon = an rsx
in performace... the tib weighs a bit more... so its a drivers race...
the tiburon wasnt built like a 350 or a wrx etc etc... because its not priced... its not performanced back.. its not pushed ot be that type of car... in the future there will be a change... every car company has to start off with cars like these... they need a platform to work off from...
hyundai is working for the future... theyre obviously not jumpin the gun....
...think twice?.. the only people who post stuff that hyundai is so great and whatever car company sucks... are ignorant... and know nothing of cars....
you do not seem to know much of the aftermarket backing of the tiburon....
because the examples of the mods you put down are very off
im very open minded about cars..
youre makin a post stating that the hyundai tiburon is not as god liek as everyone on this board says it is...
i think youre miss-interpretating enthusiasm of a car... with ignorance.... your post is border line ignorant...
but you do make very good points... but those points are also very common facts...
i see nothing wrong with the post/ your view... youre not thikck heaeded and you didnt come off ass an sshole... so i have no problem responding to this..
nisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:28 AM   #20
fullup1
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to fullup1
Re: Re: Re: tiburon vs subaru wrx turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Mk
I'd like a daily ride(you're right, it doesn't require turbo), but on the weekends, I'd like to the car to be able to cruise down the highway(via turbocharged performance)

Now what do you mean by cool off before you turn it off? Do you mean that with a turbo charged engine, after a drive, I have to let the engine idle before turning off the ignition??
Yes, generally you'd need to let the motor idle for about 2 minutes after driving to allow oil to circulate (and possibly coolant if it's a water cooled turbocharger) through the turbocharger. If you were to just shut the motor off immediately after driving each time, the oil would have a tendency to get cooked in the hot bearings of the turbocharger, leading to "coked bearings."

Coked bearings = turbo rebuild or new turbocharger

However, if you've just finished driving the car hard for any amount of time (especially if it's an extended amount of time), then you'd probably need to idle for more like 4 minutes before you turn the car off, just because the turbocharger is probably even hotter than normal, so it'll take longer for the oil and coolant to cool it down.

This is what the turbo timer is for. All you do is remove the key from the ignition, and the turbo timer keeps the car idling for a certain amount of time. A little bit of preventative maintenance goes a long way with a turbocharged car.
fullup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 03:25 PM   #21
Tiburon99
AF Enthusiast

Nisco, you hit it right on the mark! A Tib cant be paired in ways to cars like the WRX because a car like that was born to perform. A Tib is just a optional performance car like the Civic. But when you put enough power into a tib or a Civic it can and will beat a "born to perform" car like the WRX.
Tiburon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:21 PM   #22
tibby01
AF Enthusiast

great post wingroad.

he is saying the warranty is questionable cause hyundai likes to try and void the thing whenever they can.

nisco, the wrx is around 25k.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:43 PM   #23
nisco
Tib Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby01
great post wingroad.

he is saying the warranty is questionable cause hyundai likes to try and void the thing whenever they can.

nisco, the wrx is around 25k.
yeah hyundai is probably the biggest corner cutter around...the do try and weasle outa alota stuff... but if you know the warranty and you knwo what youre doing... theres no way that they can void your warranty...
and even if teh wrx is 25K ... i can easily match the power of a wrx to equal the price...
Old 05-04-2004, 05:48 PM   #24
tibby01
AF Enthusiast

it would be hard to match it with a brand new tiburon. how much is that? like 20k right?

sure, straight line speed wouldnt be tough, but that awd would kill you around a track.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:37 PM   #25
nisco
Tib Guy

...you can get a brand new 03 for 17....
its not hard...
the turbo kit im lookin into will be 5800
thats 380 whp on stock internals...
i can go to nextgenmotorsports.com and give tim 8 grand and put myself into the 11s....
its not hard to match the
there are plenty of applications out there... BOTH FOR V6 AND I-4
im not afraid of a wrx... .... and anyoen who has teh knowledge and the drive to tune a great tib... theyre shootin for supras... 300zx... rx7s
Old 05-04-2004, 09:10 PM   #26
tibby01
AF Enthusiast

does that include a lsd, cause 380 hp is all well and good, but without a lsd, id be able to beeat you.

and dude, there still isnt a gk in the 13s. dont get to far ahead of yourself.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:47 PM   #27
IH8RICE
AF Regular

dollar for dollar im going to go for a tiburon i know the WRX is faster and it has more performance parts out but no one can beat the tiburon warranty and with some patience the tiburon will have more stuff out and i dont have a fat wallet to spend a lot on parts right away any way so im going to drive a brand new V6 6 speed tiburon saturday to see how i like it, im looking to buy one cuz every time i look at the odometer i got another 1000 miles on my car so im looking for the the long haul here by the time i get some good road miles on the car ill have money for performance parts its kinda like arguing with people about vettes and vipers id way rather have a vette! take the extra u save instead of buying a viper and send that baby to lingenfilter and not much would beat you for around 75 - 80k but thats a way high price bracket but u get the idea. im after the tiburon!
IH8RICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:37 PM   #28
E.Mk
AF Newbie

Re: Re: tiburon vs subaru wrx turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingRoad
I don't believe in this nonsense.
Note: I am not here to enforce any opinions on anyone, it is your own right to assume my position upon this article and to judge for it.

The Subaru Impreza WRX is absolutely phenomenal. I don't think it deserves to be compared upon an 2003+ Hyundai Tiburon, again, I am not trying to degrade the Tiburon in any way.
The Tiburon, indeed is a nice car. Is it a respectful car? Maybe. But all cars nowadays have to lack certain fields in order to compete, by the way, it is impossible to construct a perfect car, since there are driver likes/dislikes and other niches that sway consumer opinions on certain cars.
The point I am trying to make in this article is the attitudes brought by Hyundai Tiburon owners. A twin-turbo Tiburon is NOT going to promise anything. I do not understand how a dual-turbine compressor is going to generate full effects on the Hyundai Delta V6 engine. Also, this Santa-Fe based platform would not have ideal potentials of enduring FR-styled driving impersonations. A more idealistic approach is to apply a single-turbine, mid-range single injecting turbo kit, which should able this vehicle to obtain an additional 40 horsepowers, enough to make this into a mid 6-second car.
Now let us consider the original intentions upon the Tiburon. This car is a entry-level sports coupe targeted for younger generations, boasting the 10-year warranty more than its specifications to attract people like you, Tiburon owners. Excellent exterior design, yes. Excellent warranty, questionable. Quality, moderate. These are all elements a typical automobilist seeks. The WRX, on the other hand is NOT a typical entry-level sports sedan. I do not even want to attempt the specifications behind the WRX, becuase regardless of any opinions, the numbers and words speek for itself. Yes the WRX is a user-friendly mod hot-rod as opposed to its ancestors, yet it is still, a car that deserves full respect of its originality.
The owners of these forums seem to be constantly yacking upon the 'full-potential' of the Tiburon, none in which I finda common upon any Tiburon owners I know of. The Tiburon is meant to be a Tiburon. Not a Z33 350-Z, WRX, RSX, etc. I enjoy reading the Tiburon enthusiasts who push their cars to the limits by investing in after-market goodies to expand the limits of the car. THAT, I believe is repsectful. For the sake of the automotive community, I ask many of these postees to think twice before posting another 'victory' related article conscerning a Tiburon VS any competitive sports car. The reason why I haven't included any 'numbers' in this post is to communicate with the reviewers that rather read the bottom-line contents of certain posts, actually the people who comment every negative aspects of other cars compared with the Tiburon, in such cases, would be YOU, whoever is reading this post in the current. Normally I do not care about such ignorant community members, but some private issues regarding myself have pushed me to take actions upon this issue. Not to mention, I have witnessed many similarities that were present upon the Hyundai Tiburon 'owners' across the forum, thereby further encouraging me to post a reply like such other.

Thank you for your time.

Well, 'yer entitled to 'yer opinion... but as the creater of this thread, let me just set a few points straight.

Even thought I titled this thread as Tiburon vs Subaru, I did it to attract attention, I have no loyalties to either car. It's just that a few of my friends are devote Subaru owners and I just wanted to know if the Tiburon is a formidable car. Not to snub them, not to score any "victory points" or anything... it's just that my '94 Sentra is no match to their NEW subaru WRX coupes. I don't know or assume to know everything about their specs, but I just want a newer car(preferably cheap) which can come CLOSER(don't care if the WRX is still faster or anything... any car newer than the '94 Sentra should have engines in better condition).

Your frustration is understood, but you don't seem to understand... there's nothing wrong about pride in the objects you own. You complain that the Tiburon owners rant about "potential" power of the Tiburon. What's wrong with that, just because the stock components don't add up to a superior model or it isn't a product of a penultimate design they shouldn't have pride in the car?

That's where you're wrong, buddy. Tiburon, WRX-these may mean BIG things to you, but to others(like me), they mean nothing; in the sense that if I owned either car, I'd look at them as equally worth it to modify, upgrade, whatever.

And although I don't really care about this whole, "Car A sucks, Car B rules" rant, I'm not a big fan of conformity. Although the members of the this board may not agree with me, it's people who often come and say stuff like "Car A sucks, owners of Car A shouldn't even dare compare themselves to Car B or standard C" that just makes me wanna go for the alternate choice(get Car A).

But that's just me.
E.Mk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:13 AM   #29
fullup1
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to fullup1
Re: Re: Re: tiburon vs subaru wrx turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Mk
Well, 'yer entitled to 'yer opinion... but as the creater of this thread, let me just set a few points straight.

Even thought I titled this thread as Tiburon vs Subaru, I did it to attract attention, I have no loyalties to either car. It's just that a few of my friends are devote Subaru owners and I just wanted to know if the Tiburon is a formidable car. Not to snub them, not to score any "victory points" or anything... it's just that my '94 Sentra is no match to their NEW subaru WRX coupes. I don't know or assume to know everything about their specs, but I just want a newer car(preferably cheap) which can come CLOSER(don't care if the WRX is still faster or anything... any car newer than the '94 Sentra should have engines in better condition).

Your frustration is understood, but you don't seem to understand... there's nothing wrong about pride in the objects you own. You complain that the Tiburon owners rant about "potential" power of the Tiburon. What's wrong with that, just because the stock components don't add up to a superior model or it isn't a product of a penultimate design they shouldn't have pride in the car?

That's where you're wrong, buddy. Tiburon, WRX-these may mean BIG things to you, but to others(like me), they mean nothing; in the sense that if I owned either car, I'd look at them as equally worth it to modify, upgrade, whatever.

And although I don't really care about this whole, "Car A sucks, Car B rules" rant, I'm not a big fan of conformity. Although the members of the this board may not agree with me, it's people who often come and say stuff like "Car A sucks, owners of Car A shouldn't even dare compare themselves to Car B or standard C" that just makes me wanna go for the alternate choice(get Car A).

But that's just me.
I think you've got a good opinion about cars going.

[Rant]I've driven WRXs plenty (I worked at a Subaru/Volvo dealership for summer jobs), and they've got a lot of strong points. Obviously the motor is powerful (once the turbo spools up), the seats are very comfortable and have firm bolsters, obviously it's AWD, and the styling is kind of unique. From talking to mechanics it seems that nothing really has a reputation for going bad on Subarus in general, but I've seen warranty pictures of a guy's motor after he attempted to turn up the boost really high AND spray nitrous....not pretty.

I used to have a 1996 Nissan Maxima GXE that I modified pretty extensively. The engine made great power all over the place, it handled really predictably (even better with 235/45R17 tires and 8" rims), and it sounded and looked great. Last November I was rear-ended at a stoplight and the car was totalled. Obviously I was extremely disappointed to see the car go, but I didn't feel as if I had some kind of loyalty to Nissan that required me to go get another Maxima. Now of course I was still looking at Maximas, but that was because the car satisfied my expectations as a good car, and I'd like to have a car that I know will meet those expecations again...modified or not.

In the end I got a 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS coupe, but it was an automatic (my Maxima was a 5 speed). I liked the styling, I like the AWD, and it is a very comfortable car to drive (I drive ~5 hours to school a few times a year, so this is necessary). Having driven the car for a while, and at an autocross, I can say that now I'd rather have a 5 speed in it as well, because the automatic just frustrates me to no end. This is something that can be fixed, either by a swap this summer or by finding another 2.5 RS with a manual.

Finally, my baby, a 1984 Volvo 240 DL 2-door that is probably the filthiest and worst painted car you'll ever see. I got it for $205 at an auto auction to use it specifically as an autocross car. Since buying it a little over a year ago, I've put in a turbocharger, intercooler, swapped the cylinder head, changed the intake manifold, injectors, FPR, shocks, springs, swaybars, exhaust (obviously for the turbo), and I've switched to a standalone fuel injection system (Megasquirt). Now that car is a sleeper at 12 psi...since it's still a 10.3:1 motor.

Anyways, my point is the same as yours. I don't feel any need to go put other cars down and try to say my car is the best. But personally I'm one for seeing what the car can do with the driver at the wheel. I've seen cars at autocross events that have massive potential, but the driver is either new or tries to go balls to the wall and takes out half of the cones. On the other end, I recently saw a Ford Festiva on stock tires run almost as good a time as an Acura Integra GS-R with a lightened flywheel and all the suspension modifications. Heck, I've seen a Saturn continually get in the top 10 raw and pax times in my autocross region (Blue Ridge), and it's stock.

So anyways, do I consider myself a Maxima, Impreza 2.5RS, or 240 DL groupie? Absolutely not. I like my cars a lot, but if something were to happen to them (like the Maxima), and another car came along that I were interested in, I might just go ahead and get that newer car.[/Rant]
fullup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 12:21 AM   #30
nisco
Tib Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby01
does that include a lsd, cause 380 hp is all well and good, but without a lsd, id be able to beeat you.

and dude, there still isnt a gk in the 13s. dont get to far ahead of yourself.
there are 2 tibs in the 13s... gks... ripp mods s/c tib.. and beta.. has an alpine kit.. and jus put on the stage 2 kit...
ripp's s/c has half of teh stock stuff still on... and will easily break 12s...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons