Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 09:34 AM   #91
Jared_80
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: There really is no point to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrow03GT
Jared, put the magazines down please. My stang hadled and brakes like a champ, straight from the factory. With a simple spring/shock settup I have now, I can out corner almost anything on the road. Its MORE than enough cornering/braking ability that I will EVER use on the street. I dont autox so I really dont care if there is a jap car somewhere that can slalom, .05 g's better than my car. It makes no difference. Because fact is I have a better all around package, I have all the handling & braking I can possibly use, plus I have mounds of tourque, and a low 13 second car. (easily high 12 sec, with the proper suspension settup). And my car sounds good while doing it. And like I told you in the beggining, go out there and see for yourself, stop reading magazines, their #s are skewed to hell. I get my #s from the track.

I also like how you generalize "jap cars are better in blah blah...", fact is most jap cars are NOT better performance in anything. There is a couple out of the slew of under achievers, that are descent and they cost $30,000+. I paid 21K for my car, find me a Jap car to contend with me on my price level please.

The base Evo is 28k and the faster RS is only 26k get your numbers right. Is the extra 5k worth the 1.4 seconds faster 0-60? Is it worth the faster breaking? is it worth the extra.09g? To me darn right it is, you try to find me an American car for under 30k that can match the Evo in half of the major proformance catagories (1/4 mile, 0-60, 60-0....ect). Go ahead and try. I am no ricer but I will not let sombody just bash the best import sportscar around either. Reserch it for yourself and you will see what I mean. Later.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:05 PM   #92
skrow03GT
AF Newbie

Re: There really is no point to this.

Sure, 03 cobra comes to mind its a mid to high 12 sec car from the showroom floor. It sounds good, has tourque across the powerband for fun daily driving, has muscle car looks to match. It comes with IRS, its handling is nice, although not as good as the evos , but like I said the minute .0x variables in handling argument is stupid. It is not difficult to achieve 1.xx+ Gs on a skidpad, which is impressive for a 3600~lb car. If you dont think so, maybe you should stob by and talk to the guys from corner-carvers.com.

The 0-60 is stats for the Evo are decietfull also, considering you have todo high rpm clutch dumps to achieve this. Your clutch wont be up for that very long, and im not sure if its the wrx or the evo that has the horribly weak transmision.

Point is while an Evo huffs and puffs in double digit PSI numbers, and clutch burning launches to achieve its best numbers, its not practical power that is available under your right foot when compared to a broad tourqe curved supercharged v8 that is boosted at a concervative ~8PSI. The 03 Cobra guys are making 500rwhp and similar tourqe from boltons. Using the stock fuel system, ignition, untouched block, etc.

Dont get me wrong, I respect a Evo, but like I addressed in a previous post, you are in essense buying a $30,000 lancer, For that amount of $$ I would MUCH rather be seen in a Cobra or a used C5 corvette. Thats just my opinion though.

You never answered my question either, find me something to compete with my GT for 20~k from Japan... Im not talking about striped down base models either?? Mine is premium (leather, 2-tone, in dash 6 disk changer, 460watt 6 speaker stereo, power seat, etc) with the interior upgrade package, and cobra rims!
MAC Prochamber 2.5" HTS
Flowmaster AT 2 Chamber Cat-Back
Eibach Pro-Kit
Tokico Illuminas 5-way Shocks/Struts
X2C v2.0 UCA/LCA's
FRPP 4.10 Gears
Aluminum d/s
Steeda Tri-Ax
Steeda T/A 14*
Nitto 275/45 Drag Radials
Bullit Intake

Waiting to Install : NX 100 Wet Shot
Old 02-26-2004, 04:11 PM   #93
skrow03GT
AF Newbie

Also, 1.4 seconds?? Are you trying to tell me a 99+ GT runs 14.7? LOL

100% stock GTs run anywhere from 13.8-14.2. Mine ran 14.01 @ 99mph and it was capable of a high 13 sec time stock. Its as simple as tires and you are looking @ 13.7s.

Evos run 13.3s at best, with a majority of them running between 13.6-14.5s as Ive witnessed at the track. Where is the 1.4 sec difference? If anything its 0.5 seconds.

Lets recap, 5,000rpm clutch dumps to achieve those times, go to the Evo board and notice people needing to change their clutch @ 2000 miles on the car. No Thanks.

Not to mention the fastest Evo in the states is only runing 11.6 times, thats WITH nitrous. Cars in its price class like the 03+ Cobra are doing that with minimal bolt-ons + tires with the faster ones in the low 10s with untouched block & IRS.

http://www.fordpower.net/forums/timeslips.php?

The sad part is, with all the $$ invested in the Evo, it has to use wild cams, lots of porting work, and race gas! These guys in 03 cobras are runing those times with 1/5th invested in simple bolt-ons. Alot of them doing this with factory warranties, try bringing your Evo in to service with engine work, and see how long it takes them to laugh you off the lot.
MAC Prochamber 2.5" HTS
Eibach Pro-Kit
X2C v2.0 UCA/LCA's
FRPP 4.10 Gears
Aluminum d/s
Steeda Tri-Ax
Steeda T/A 14*
Bullit Intake

Old 02-26-2004, 04:26 PM   #94
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mikegee
Re: Re: There really is no point to this.

You never answered my question either, find me something to compete with my GT for 20~k from Japan... Im not talking about striped down base models either?? Mine is premium (leather, 2-tone, in dash 6 disk changer, 460watt 6 speaker stereo, power seat, etc) with the interior upgrade package, and cobra rims![/quote]

well how bout a silvia with a sr20det

how bout an FTO with v6
Old 02-26-2004, 07:19 PM   #95
skrow03GT
AF Newbie

Mike is that a US car thats currently produced? Is the sr20det the engine that comes in the car stock? Never heard of a FTO either?
MAC Prochamber 2.5" HTS
Eibach Pro-Kit
X2C v2.0 UCA/LCA's
FRPP 4.10 Gears
Aluminum d/s
Steeda Tri-Ax
Steeda T/A 14*
Bullit Intake

Old 02-27-2004, 04:16 AM   #96
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Mike is that a US car thats currently produced? Is the sr20det the engine that comes in the car stock? Never heard of a FTO either?

yes the sr20det is the stock engine, and oh now it has to be a production car all i saww was a car from japan, ok fine how bout a 1999 eclipse GSX in 1999 on could be had for 23000
Old 02-27-2004, 04:18 AM   #97
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

now you now that americas rules and regs for forion cars to be production over here it has to be downtuned

ans the fto is a mitsubishi, and if you had never heard of it then you need to stop comparing japanese import to american cuz you dont know much about japanese cars. look it up and learn.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:09 AM   #98
gigglesnirt
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gigglesnirt
not like american cars can do shit,
all they can do well is a 1/4, thats just as bad as nascar, but nobody figures it out, muscle cars have the worst handling, plus who would want to go in a straight line when you can do curves done a mountain road?
Old 02-27-2004, 11:53 AM   #99
skrow03GT
AF Newbie

Ofcoarse it has to be a production car, why the hell would I want to compare to something I cant buy?? Also, I could care less what they produce in Japan only. I live in America, you cant buy those cars.

Sorry, but the 1999 Eclipse GSX is not going to beat a 99 Mustang GT stock vs. stock. Try again though. They will run a mid-high 14 second quarter mile stock though, which is close. Then again it relies on AWD, so it would get murdered from a roll.

gigle, what are you talking about? Im just wondering, what kind of cars do you and mike drive? Ive owned 3 jap cars and 2 mustangs in the last few years. My current Mustang can handle great, it would out handle that riced out civic that im sure both of you worship. I tear it up on twisty roads, you must be comparing muscle cars of the 60's??? Its 2004, get a grip.
MAC Prochamber 2.5" HTS
Eibach Pro-Kit
X2C v2.0 UCA/LCA's
FRPP 4.10 Gears
Aluminum d/s
Steeda Tri-Ax
Steeda T/A 14*
Bullit Intake

Old 02-27-2004, 08:26 PM   #100
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Ofcoarse it has to be a production car, why the hell would I want to compare to something I cant buy?? Also, I could care less what they produce in Japan only. I live in America, you cant buy those cars.

Sorry, but the 1999 Eclipse GSX is not going to beat a 99 Mustang GT stock vs. stock. Try again though. They will run a mid-high 14 second quarter mile stock though, which is close. Then again it relies on AWD, so it would get murdered from a roll.

gigle, what are you talking about? Im just wondering, what kind of cars do you and mike drive? Ive owned 3 jap cars and 2 mustangs in the last few years. My current Mustang can handle great, it would out handle that riced out civic that im sure both of you worship. I tear it up on twisty roads, you must be comparing muscle cars of the 60's??? Its 2004, get a grip.

not all import fans love the civic i love more along the lines of a skyline, 3000gt or a 240zx. and why do people think that 4bangers cant start from a roll my grad am 2.2 liter 4 can run 60 to 80 in bout 4 and a half sec. ok so the eclpise will lose from a roll but what about a twistie road.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:49 PM   #101
skrow03GT
AF Newbie

It loses from a role because its AWD.

60-80 in 4.5 sec?

My car handles great on a "twisty road". Goto www.corner-carvers.com

Who races on the street around twisty turns? Thats retarted.
MAC Prochamber 2.5" HTS
Eibach Pro-Kit
X2C v2.0 UCA/LCA's
FRPP 4.10 Gears
Aluminum d/s
Steeda Tri-Ax
Steeda T/A 14*
Bullit Intake

Old 02-28-2004, 12:27 AM   #102
kratefan
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

Yeah, just go buy an old 6 cylinder Buick, put a couple of G's in it and do 10's! The pic is the burnout before a low 11's run.
Jeff
Old 02-28-2004, 05:41 PM   #103
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

60-80 in 4.5 sec?

i have a 3000 lbs ecno car with a 145 hp engine what do you expect my point was i know the evo will get from 60 to 80 in 2 sec.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:43 PM   #104
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

60-80 in 4.5 sec?

as for ya twisty comment ahhh autocross. if i could afford it i would the heck with drag racing thats my oppinion of course.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:43 AM   #105
Purpura Delujo
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglesnirt
who would want their car to be loud as hell and give out no power like many muscle cars i've seen

Oh, now hang on a minute.

You can't say something like that, you say Muscle Cars are loud with no power? Please, I mean come on, you give me a factory produced Japanese car from the late 60s that was as loud and had as much power as ANY Muscle Car did. May I ask if you have ever heard a 426 Hemi in the metal? Have you ever read ANY technical information on 30 year old Muscle Cars? Yes, they don't have the best handling around but you are probably basing that off the 30 year old technology that they are running on. You can always buy better disc brakes and better springs and shock absorbers, but you can never buy what Muscle Cars bought to the world, no matter what.
No cars will ever compare to the true beauty of Muscle Cars. You said we need a live, fighting over cars, no one is fighting, it's an argument, you know. A conversation when opinions don't agree with each other.

Think proper statistics before you post silly things. Alot of cars would not exist today if Muscle Cars weren't around to inspire the designers.