Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
dmarchant
AF Newbie

What the heck happened! 2001 conversion van

Hey everybody let me tell you a little story and maybe you can help me out. I have a 2001 conversion van with a 5.2. I was driving, and oil light came on and smoke was billowing out behind me. I immediately shut off engine while hearing a loud motor without oil. Towed it to house to take a look, and could see where the oil came out, it appeared to be from rear main, between transmission and motor, and was on exhaust (explaining smoke). On a closer look, I found two
bellhousing bolts on transmission had backed out, a bracket broke, lifted covers and found a top bolt had backed out and a very small hairline crack in top of transmission. I had noticed slight vibration recently, thought it was u joints. Could it have been torque converter that rattled transmission? Has anyone had this happen or have advice for next step? Van has about 118000 on it and was running and shifting great
dmarchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:06 AM   #2
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Re: What the heck happened! 2001 conversion van

I had that happen once to my 340 duster, but I did catch it much sooner and suffered no damage. The looseness of the bellhousing to the block has probably trashed the rear main. You might get lucky and get away with just replacing it and bolting everything back up nice and tight.
alloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
dmarchant
AF Newbie

Re: What the heck happened! 2001 conversion van

Thanks for advice! Going to replace seal and see if I see anything obvious that caused vibration
dmarchant is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van