Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
tallroach85
AF Newbie

Question 03 Ride Height Problem - 03 Silverado 1500 z71, 5.3L

I’m a new truck owner, and sadly I do not know enough about working on trucks to help myself in this situation. I have searched this site tirelessly to find my answer, but I couldn’t seem to find all the information I am looking for.

I recently purchased my first truck, a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD z71 with a 5.3L V8. I currently have two problems. The first is that I do not like the ride height of the vehicle. I understand all stock trucks are lower in the front, but I wanted to add a leveling kit to bring the front level with the rear. The problem is, I don’t know if I have torsion bars, to purchase the keys to increase the height 1.5-2”. How can I figure this out (does anyone know off hand, or have pictures, that would allow me to look and see)?

The second problem is that my ride height in the front is currently uneven. The passenger side currently sits about 1.5” lower than the driver’s side. This stays the same whether someone is in the driver’s seat or not. What could be the problem? If I do have torsion bars, is this an adjustment I could make, or do I have a suspension problem? The truck pulls to the left slightly, but I figured that to be an alignment problem that I would have taken care of after installing the leveling kit. Having paid a lot of money for this vehicle, it is important that I get this right.

How can I first of all, correct my ride height (tire pressure is ok…I checked) to be even in the front? Second, what’s the best way to level out my truck?

Since I have this thread open, I’d also like to ask for some suggestions concerning an exhaust. What would be a good exhaust option that would have a deep, throaty sound, but not drown me out in the cab on the highway? I only have one cat, so I don’t want to spend the money for true duals. I thought about a cat back system from magnaflow to run dual outlets out the rear. What do you all think?
tallroach85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 03 Ride Height Problem - 03 Silverado 1500 z71, 5.3L

your vehicle has torsion bars...the 4x4 all do..
I adjusted my torsion bars after the vehicle had settled out around 15,ooomi. back in 2001....since then the height has not changed.

your vehicle has studs that rotate the torsion bars to raise or lower the vehicle.

the most you what to raise vehicle is so that the shocks in the front do not top out....this if adjusted too high will cause a very harsh ride on the up bounce...

mark the stud head ,,,then rotate the studs on each side 1 revolution at a time make the vehicle bounce several times the check height...

your vehicle with a oem exhaust system is fully able to handle the exhaust pressures generated....If this where a ford 150 I would not say this...

If you just want the vehicle to make more noise just replace the muffler...use s/steel parts only....

I forgot to mention that when you get to the correct OEM height the front cv drive shafts should be straight....
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: 03 Ride Height Problem - 03 Silverado 1500 z71, 5.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallroach85 View Post
I’m a new truck owner, and sadly I do not know enough about working on trucks to help myself in this situation. I have searched this site tirelessly to find my answer, but I couldn’t seem to find all the information I am looking for.

I recently purchased my first truck, a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD z71 with a 5.3L V8. I currently have two problems. The first is that I do not like the ride height of the vehicle. I understand all stock trucks are lower in the front, but I wanted to add a leveling kit to bring the front level with the rear. The problem is, I don’t know if I have torsion bars, to purchase the keys to increase the height 1.5-2”. How can I figure this out (does anyone know off hand, or have pictures, that would allow me to look and see)?

The second problem is that my ride height in the front is currently uneven. The passenger side currently sits about 1.5” lower than the driver’s side. This stays the same whether someone is in the driver’s seat or not. What could be the problem? If I do have torsion bars, is this an adjustment I could make, or do I have a suspension problem? The truck pulls to the left slightly, but I figured that to be an alignment problem that I would have taken care of after installing the leveling kit. Having paid a lot of money for this vehicle, it is important that I get this right.

How can I first of all, correct my ride height (tire pressure is ok…I checked) to be even in the front? Second, what’s the best way to level out my truck?

Since I have this thread open, I’d also like to ask for some suggestions concerning an exhaust. What would be a good exhaust option that would have a deep, throaty sound, but not drown me out in the cab on the highway? I only have one cat, so I don’t want to spend the money for true duals. I thought about a cat back system from magnaflow to run dual outlets out the rear. What do you all think?
A GOOD FRONT END ALIGNMENT PLACE WILL CHECK AND ADJUST RIDE HEIGH WITH A FRONT END ALIGNMENT.
Do not try to change front end ride ride height from OEM ride height or you will run into a lot of problems.

Same goes for rear end.

Changing them will throw out front end and drive shaft alignment.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
leveling kit , lift , ride height , torsion bar
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado