Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 04:12 PM   #1
BugZilla
Authorized Vendor

'01 NSR500 Hawaiian

I just received the Renaissance transkit for Rossi's Hawaiian themed Mugello bike from '01 and thought I would share the build. My Ducati GP5 is needing a bit more reference and I sold the detail sets I was going to use, so I am on hold for now.

The resin parts are of the usual Renaissance standard, essentually modified from the Tamiya kit and cast as such. I have the resins soaking on some really luke warm water and dish soap, as I feel going too hot on the water might warp the fairing pieces. I will also give them a wash with some alcohol, just to make sure that all of the mold release is removed.

As you can see from the picture, the casting flash is very thin and will be pretty easy to clean up. There are a few air bubbles present in some of the castings, but for the most part should be a pretty easy fix using Ca or putty. There are also a few steps on some of the parts where the mold halves did not quite line up. They are not too bad and will be puttied smooth once everything is primed up.

There is a small pe set that has the peg mounts, shrouds for the lower Radiator, Grill for the lower cowl and exhaust mounts. Somehow for the price, I figured there would be more, so I will also be using the SMS detail set as well.

The 3 sheets of decals are printed by Interdecal and they have been producing some really high quality decals lately. GP Legends decals are printed by the same company. The printing and colors are bright and crisp and will hopefully go down really nice, but I will have to let you know when I get there.

The instuctions are, well, there.There are only 2 sheets and the build sheet is more of a suppliment to the kit instructions, showing only pictures of where the resin pieces go and a list of the parts included. The other sheet is for the decals and not of the usual Renaissance flair, showing where the numbered decals go. There are no numbers on the decals and the sheet only shows pictures of the finished parts with the decals already in place. But most of the decals are large and cover much of the fairings, so it might not be too bad.

Other than the transkit and SMS detail set, I probably won't go hog wild with details. This will be kind of hard for me to do, but I want this to be a fun one, so enjoy.

Dave

Old 06-29-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
The Sheene Machine
AF Enthusiast

Re: '01 NSR500 Hawaiian

Thanks for the review Dave. I'm thinking of buying one of these kits..I'll look forward seeing some build up pics. My one thought was about the tyres. The Minichamps replica has rain tyres on it. I seem to recall the race was run in the wet...I can't remember if the qualifying sessions were dry or not. Not that it's a huge problem.

Is it worth the 94.00 euros or so??
The Sheene Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:00 PM   #3
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

oh la la! Don't let me drewl to death waiting for updates on this one Dave!
/Joel
Old 06-29-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
BugZilla
Authorized Vendor

Hey Paul,

My initial thoughts were that it was kind of high for what you received in the transkit. I would liked to have seen more pe parts, but the SMS detal set can be used to boost that up. Whoopie, more money to spend, but I think it would be a worthy addition. After comparing the modified parts to the kit parts, it would take a fair amount of modification to make them right. So in that sense, if you want a close replica of the bike, it is worth it. The decals are sold by themselves and could, in essence be put straight on the kit parts, but it wouldn't be the same.

I know Etienne is looking into the tyres and might have something soon. They are pretty hard to produce, as I found out myself. The Minichamps are the correct patterns, as it was a transition year for rain tires and those were the ones Rossi chose to use on his bike. Though compared to the Tamiya wheels, the Minchamps tires are too narrow. I do not know for a fact if the rain tires are actually narrower in width than the slicks, not too much information floating around on them. Still looking though and attemting some myself. Yes, they are rubber.

I started cleaning up the resin last night, most of it went pretty well, except for one little snigglet I ran into on the swing arm. There was a pretty bad misalignment of the mold halves on the transkit I chose and when put together would require allot of work to correct. I could fix this by cutting off the registration pins, realigning the halves and then puttying the gaps, but it would not really correct the problem. I checked all of the other transkits this morning and found 2 others that were similar, so I will set those aside and see about getting replacements for them. The rest of them looked ok, so it might have been an isolated problem, but I'm glad that one fell into my hands so I could find out about it.

I'll steal a good one from another transkit so I can keep working for now.

More in a bit.

Dave
Old 07-21-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
The Sheene Machine
AF Enthusiast

Hi Dave,
Any progress??

I took the plunge and bought this set from Media Mix Hobby (online order to doorstep in 6 days!).

I must say I am impressed with it. The decals look superb, nice and bright. The front mudguard was cracked on mine, but an easy repair can be done. My swing arm liines up fine so you must have just had a naff one. Those body panels are thinner than I was expecting though.

I'd recommend this TK to anyone wanting a 01 Honda. Rennaisance will also being doing the regular Nastro Azzurro scheme and I think the 01 Repsol bikes too. Cool!
The Sheene Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:43 AM   #6
rrutherford
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sheene Machine
Hi Dave,
Any progress??

I took the plunge and bought this set from Media Mix Hobby (online order to doorstep in 6 days!).

I must say I am impressed with it. The decals look superb, nice and bright. The front mudguard was cracked on mine, but an easy repair can be done. My swing arm liines up fine so you must have just had a naff one. Those body panels are thinner than I was expecting though.

I'd recommend this TK to anyone wanting a 01 Honda. Rennaisance will also being doing the regular Nastro Azzurro scheme and I think the 01 Repsol bikes too. Cool!
If you like the NSR bikes, I will be releasing the Alex Barros '98 Team Gresini decals soon. Now thats a cool looking bike :-)

Rod. www.raggeddesigns.com
rrutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:12 PM   #7
desmo16
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrutherford
If you like the NSR bikes, I will be releasing the Alex Barros '98 Team Gresini decals soon. Now thats a cool looking bike :-)

Rod. www.raggeddesigns.com
Hi Rod,
Always looking forward to new stuff from you!
Can you share a pic or an illustration of the Gresini NSR?
Thanks,
Michael
desmo16 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes