Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 04:41 AM   #1
achtung_boy
AF Newbie

Should I change the Cambelt myself?

I've got a Vauxhall Astra H 2008 TDCI, which is coming up to 80k and therefore will require a cambelt change. I've sort of got into fixing smallish jobs myself rather than be at the mercy of mechanics and paying through the nose, and so far have done well. I've fixed a few things with the help of my Haynes manual, the biggest job being an intercooler change.

I wonder if it's worth a novice such as myself having a go at the belt, or if this is a job best left to the professionals. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly received.

Thanks
achtung_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Should I change the Cambelt myself?

If there is a local Astra enthusiast club you could contact them and see if anyone from that club would be willing to help you out with the belt change. I'm not familiar with the Astra engine to know if there are any special tools required so you'd definitely want to understand that before tackling the job.

I'm generally all for being a DIY'er and getting to better know your car through working on it. But, based on the simplicity of an intercooler swap (please don't take offense) relative to a cambelt change, if you're unable to find someone with experience in this area to help you, I'd suggest you leave it to a professional who has insurance. Assuming the Astra engine is an interference engine, if you don't get it right, you could do a lot of damage (bent valves, broken pistons, etc.).

-Rod
shorod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
dharris973303
AF Newbie

if you're calling it a "cam belt" instead of a TIMING BELT, wich it is referd to as, i'd say no.

the book may tell to remove the "yadda yadda" and you'll mistakenly remove somthing else.

but on the other hand how are you ever going to learn if you don't try?

as a rule of thumb on timing belts.. CHECK CHECK CHECK the marks, then roll it around 4-8 times to make sure the marks are right, the sytems not binding, and the tensioner isn't giving way.

also don't press the tensioner in, let the rotation of the crank do it, overtightening the belt causes a howl
dharris973303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:27 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

"Timing belt" may be the terminology that is most common in the US, but "cam belt" is perfectly correct, and accurate (afterall, it drives the camshafts off of the crankshaft). "Cam belt" seems to be the more common phrase outside of the US, and the original poster is from London.

-Rod
shorod is online now   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical