Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tundra
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
nimi
AF Newbie

Why is there so much hate for the Toyota Tundra?

I want to know why so many people hate it? Is it just because its a Toyota? We've had our long-term Tundra for around 8 months now and so far its been a great truck. Its delivered every thing it promised and then some. So why all they hate?

I want to know why so many people hate it? Is it just because its a Toyota? We've had our long-term Tundra for around 8 months now and so far its been a great truck. Its delivered every thing it promised and then some. So why all
the hate?
nimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

Re: Why is there so much hate for the Toyota Tundra?

Really?

Think the chev/ford/dodge truck guys are just stiring the pot. Everyone that owns one (including myself '06 double cab) like them a lot. Most of those people wish they would have bought them sooner and most of those people will likely not buy another "domestic" truck.

As far as the pot stirring goes, every new vehicle has its problems. Doesn't matter who makes it or where it is built! I think we have become so used to the list of problems being so long on the big three that we have become immune to the faults. The new Tundra had some issues, the biggest was the camshafts breaking in the new 5.7 liter. If you ask me that is a huge whoops! Then I ask myself should I change my opinion of a manufacturers integrity based on a couple years of problems. I don't think so. Toyota is doing everything they can to take care of all the issues and on there dime. Other import manufactures do the same even bumping up the coverage of a problem well beyond the original warranty. If they have an issue that is common they take care of it! Thats something that the big three have not figured out yet.

Have the big three stepped up to the plate with there new trucks? I think they have. After 15 to 20 years of building poor vehicles with all kinds of problems and leaving the owners with the repair bills it about time. As far as those loyal owners who want to bash Toyota for a couple of years of issues, they need to take a good long hard look at those last 15 to 20 years!!!
Old 09-28-2008, 11:52 PM   #3
nimi
AF Newbie

I feel that also is a sad thing. The Tundra is a very nice truck, and offers about everthing a person could ask for in a 1/2 ton pickup. I have spent thousands of miles in a Tundra, and the total package is at the top of the game. The truck will not appeal to every one, if it did no one would buy anything else. I just don't get why people hate the truck so much.

Just to add one thing to this comment, the Tundra is 85% US built truck, and that supports the US economy. The GMT900 is built in Canada. Look up the others.
nimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
jdmccright
The RustBuster

I'll start out here by admitting I'm a Chevy truck lover, so any bias I write here is unintended, but I will try to remain objective.

I have read with anticipation about the Tundra and an pleased that such a nice truck is offered...it as well as the Nissan Titan have raised the bar for other trucks to be designed to. They offer good features and they look very pleasing to the eye.

However, I will point out that the Titan also came out to rave reviews initially reviews and offered great features, but has subsequently faltered in longer-term quality. Now that's Nissan, whom we know has always had comparatively lower quality than Toyota, so I would expect the Tundra to fare better in the long term for reliability.

Let's also remember that the Tundra wasn't Toyota's first stab at a full-size truck...remember the T100? Yes, that one wasn't technically a "full -size" truck, but they used that as a test-bed for the current Tundra design. And as we know Toyota's pretty good at fixing what's wrong yet keepin hands-off what is right.

But as they say, the boat floats but for how long? Time will tell.... It is a nice-looking truck though. Hope parts for it don't cost an arm and a leg 5 years from now.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

I think for Toyotas, you are selling to people who are willing to pay more initially for a truck, but have less breakdowns. The few breakdowns you have will cost you more, but you have a better chance getting from point A to point B reliably.

The Big 3 trucks in general cost less initially, but you have more repairs which cost less each time than a Toyota's repairs do. They appeal more to the hands-on guy who will save alot of money in the long run by doing the more frequent repairs on the Big 3 trucks themselves, with cheaper parts.

As you can see from the posts in this forum, vs the posts in the corresponding forums for the Big 3 trucks, the types of posts are totally different here and the depth of mechanical knowledge on the average is a lot less here. The owners are quite different and have different expectations for their truck's maintenance.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

Or if you spend all day making the repairs on the big three you really get sick of them and buy yourself a nice Tundra that you know you won't have to spend half of your life under the hood!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
james68f100
AF Newbie

the reason i have hate fot the tundra is simple, they are slow. my fathers 02 silverado 4.8 has no trouble out running them, not to mention my lightning, or even worse my 79 f-150 540 stroker 460 street truck(9.83) 1/4 mile et.plus, they are huge, not in the good way.i havent seen one go above 120 where my lightning has been over 180. i just don't like them.
james68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
james68f100
AF Newbie

also airjer & brianr some of us might be car people who like to work on their vehicles as a past time or even as an occupation.
james68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:57 AM   #9
pachi zeron
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimi View Post
I want to know why so many people hate it? Is it just because its a Toyota? We've had our long-term Tundra for around 8 months now and so far its been a great truck. Its delivered every thing it promised and then some. So why all they hate?

I want to know why so many people hate it? Is it just because its a Toyota? We've had our long-term Tundra for around 8 months now and so far its been a great truck. Its delivered every thing it promised and then some. So why all
the hate?

Hi there! I'm also palnning to get a Toyota Tundra. Are parts hard to get? are they expensive?

Last edited by fredjacksonsan; 03-03-2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: removed advertising link
pachi zeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:02 AM   #10
pachi zeron
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimi View Post

the hate?
Hi there, I'm also interested in getting a Toyota Tundra. Are parts hard to find? Are they expensive?

Last edited by fredjacksonsan; 03-03-2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: same as previous post
pachi zeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
sirgeoff
AF Newbie

I have 2007 29k miles later not one issue yet. The comnfort and handling is superior. I've had GMC and Ford my entire life; nice change.
sirgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #12
dodge22
AF Newbie

the american trucks have the tundra beat by a mile. I would take a dodge chevy or ford over a toyota tundra. toyota doesnt even offer a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and they are not even in the diesel market. The new tundra is one ugly looking truck. The grill looks ugly and the whole front end. I would say the 2009 f150 and the 2009 dodge ram have the 09 tundra beat hands down. That cheap japanese metal is pathetic it doesnt even hold up to the salt after five years. Thoes original tundras had a recall for the brakes failing. I have a 2001 dodge dakota with a 4.7 v8 and i can out tow a 2001 toyota tundra with the 4.7 v8. the tundra if they come out with a diesel it could never compete with a cummins or a 7.3 powerstroke. toyota can never compete in sales its a losing battle in the truck market for toyota.
dodge22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #13
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Interesting thread to resurrect, considering the recent trouble hat Toyota has been experiencing. The Tundra and Tacoma suffer from rusty frames, some which have a much shorter life than the rest of the vehicle.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #14
pearson1662
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge22 View Post
the american trucks have the tundra beat by a mile. I would take a dodge chevy or ford over a toyota tundra. toyota doesnt even offer a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and they are not even in the diesel market. The new tundra is one ugly looking truck. The grill looks ugly and the whole front end. I would say the 2009 f150 and the 2009 dodge ram have the 09 tundra beat hands down. That cheap japanese metal is pathetic it doesnt even hold up to the salt after five years. Thoes original tundras had a recall for the brakes failing. I have a 2001 dodge dakota with a 4.7 v8 and i can out tow a 2001 toyota tundra with the 4.7 v8. the tundra if they come out with a diesel it could never compete with a cummins or a 7.3 powerstroke. toyota can never compete in sales its a losing battle in the truck market for toyota.
"Thoes original tundras had a recall for the brakes failing."

I wasn't aware of this and have not been able to confirm that it is the case. I bought and still own a 2000 Tundra Limited 4WD that has had pulsation issues with the brakes since it was almost new. Would they have sent out a letter if it was recalled? What if it was just a technical service bulletin (#BR004-02 REV)?

The last guy that I used to turn the rotors claims that the warpage is a consequence of the overheated rotors getting wet (that's my understanding of what he said). I don't know about that but he turned them while they were still on the truck and it's lasted longer (before they warped) than it has previously but I'm not competent to explain why or even if it makes a difference.

I understand that there is a recall ('00 to '03 models) to fix a corrosion problem with a frame rear crossmember(?) and a Tekonsha trailer hitch wiring harness(I think), however.

I called my local Toyota Dealership service department and the service advisor wasn't aware of a service bulletin for the brakes. I'm pretty sure there is one.

This is my first post in this forum and I have little to no expertise but I do have almost ten years of experience with the 2000 Tundra Limited Access Cab 4WD pick up. I replaced my transmission at 94000 mi. I would be reluctant to purchase another Toyota truck although I own a 2003 Avalon and am going to buy another 2003 or '04 Av. IMO that's a pretty good car.
pearson1662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #15
Dunerider600
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by james68f100 View Post
the reason i have hate fot the tundra is simple, they are slow. my fathers 02 silverado 4.8 has no trouble out running them, not to mention my lightning, or even worse my 79 f-150 540 stroker 460 street truck(9.83) 1/4 mile et.plus, they are huge, not in the good way.i havent seen one go above 120 where my lightning has been over 180. i just don't like them.
You're comparing apples to oranges JAMES=68f100, the Tundra isn't a Lightning!
Dunerider600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dunerider600 For This Useful Post:
gzjgled (11-11-2011)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tundra