Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tercel
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 11:28 PM   #1
seb000
AF Newbie

Worrying noise from timing belt

Recently there’s a noise coming from my timing belt. To verify what was the noise I push the timing belt cover whit a screwdriver and the noise change. Is the noise can affect or damaged my car? Should I consider this problem like an urgent work repair? And what do you think the problem is?
seb000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

Re: Worrying noise from timing belt

If pushing on the timing belt cover changed the sound, its likely that the cover itself is either touching the timing belt or has cracked from vibration somewhere, and is just rattling around. Timing belts seldom make noticeable noise - even when they are about to break. I dont know about Tercels, but I imagine the belt should be replaced every so many miles, like 70,000 or 90,000 or something. Has that been done to your car? If not, it might be time to do it or get it done. In most cases, its also a good idea to replace the tensioner pulley when you replace the belt, and the idler pulley if it has one. And, on any 4 cylinder FWD car where the water pump is driven by the timing belt, I would also advise replacing the water pump along with the timing belt - since the procedure to get to the water pump to change it, may involve removing the timing belt to be able to reach the pump too.
Thats just a guess; I dont have a Tercel. Wish I did have one with a manual tranny though.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
EvilTim
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisond3 View Post
If pushing on the timing belt cover changed the sound, its likely that the cover itself is either touching the timing belt or has cracked from vibration somewhere, and is just rattling around. Timing belts seldom make noticeable noise - even when they are about to break. I dont know about Tercels, but I imagine the belt should be replaced every so many miles, like 70,000 or 90,000 or something. Has that been done to your car? If not, it might be time to do it or get it done. In most cases, its also a good idea to replace the tensioner pulley when you replace the belt, and the idler pulley if it has one. And, on any 4 cylinder FWD car where the water pump is driven by the timing belt, I would also advise replacing the water pump along with the timing belt - since the procedure to get to the water pump to change it, may involve removing the timing belt to be able to reach the pump too.
Thats just a guess; I dont have a Tercel. Wish I did have one with a manual tranny though.
Common sense is a very hard thing to find. Thank you dude.
And For the record.
They are fun as hell.
It drives like a Tiny-tiny Japanese ferrari XD
EvilTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Scrapper
AF Premium User

yes always if you change timing belt change water pump or if changeing water pump change timing belt also.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tercel