Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #46
slimey
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 Sienna rear hatch broken! Can't open!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99...Q5fAccessories

This Ebay store sells new metal door handles with a lifetime warranty for $45 including shipping - what a bargain. No more crap from the Toyota Stealership!

I have had a broken handle 3 times now. First time I took it to the dealership and they charged me $500 parts and labor (they must have seen me comming a mile off).
2 years later SNAP again, this time I am seething and not giving Toyota another dime, found this and it worked great http://www.findonefindall.com/toyota...nareardoor.htm

Lo and behold 2 months later SNAP again, this time it was not repairable. I have attached a paperclip to some wire and pull it to open the door. Now I want to get rid of the sienna and update it to a newer model, before selling I want to repair the handle and I came across this forum and have ordered the metal part from Ebay as sugguested by a previous poster!
slimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #47
vtouba
AF Newbie

Ughh! I just saw this 10 minutes after ordering an OEM replacement liftgate handle for about the same price. Not sure if I can cancel without penalty, though. The problems started after we were rear-ended and the tailgate latch got pushed in about 1/4". Oh well, when it breaks again, I know where to get a permanent replacement. Guess I should always check Automotive Forums first! Thanks to all who've contributed to this string.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:58 AM   #48
ajkmaryland
AF Newbie

My biggest concern with repairs: removing things in order to access the repair, and them retracing my steps backward to get all of that stuff back on again.

This particular repair for my 2000 Sienna was VERY easy and cost $65. One trip to the dealership and one hour removing and reinstalling.

This is a GREAT forum!!!
ajkmaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #49
jbmay
AF Newbie

I had to replace the handle on my 2001 Toyota Sienna Van and ordered the replacement from ebaymotors.com instead of buying from the local dealer because it was $60.00 cheaper. Just a word or two of warning. The part fit and works but I had to find different nuts because the screws used a 1/4x28 thread (not sure what the thread is on the original screw). Also, the slot that the cable fits in had to be widened (used a round file to do that).
jbmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #50
Holysmoke
AF Newbie

call 888-820-3393 or 888-844-3393 and order a metal handle for under $50 shipped Part Number: 1ABTH00049

Product Details

Vehicle Fit
Product Details

Vehicle Fit

1998-03 Toyota Sienna Liftgate Handle Metal

This replacement liftgate handle is just what you need to get your Toyota Sienna and Sequoia in good working form again!

Unlike the original handle that is made from plastic, this handle has been redesigned and made in metal form to provide a stronger, more durable handle!

Specifications:

* Metal construction
* Black textured finish
* Replaces dealer part numbers: 69090-08010, 6909008010
* Direct replacement for original plastic version
* Built to strict quality control standards
* Replaces a broken or damaged lift gate handle

This part is a direct bolt on part built to strict quality control standards. It is a great replacement and has good cost savings over a dealer unit.
Holysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #51
sayoungblood
AF Newbie

I, too, have a 2000 Toyota Sienna van driven by my wife with a broken rear latch handle. While I admire the inventiveness of those who have repaired their broken plastic handles with a bolt, I chose instead to order a replacement metal handle for about $21. It came by overnight UPS from Oregon to Texas, Davis Auto Parts,

http://store.jkdautoparts.com/autopa...utokey/8020158

The metal handle is not likely to break. By the way, this same handle is available from Amazon but for twice the price. Go to the source and receive the best price and overnight delivery.

My time is worth something, so I feel this was an excellent solution. It's a better designed part that you simply bolt in, and you are done.

By the way, I tried both epoxy and gorilla glue on my broken handle and can confirm, that neither will withstand the spring pressure of the latch, once reassembled and tested. If you are going to stick with your broken handle, you must put a bolt in it or fashion a bolted rod bent to the same angle as the plastic tab that trips the cable lever.
sayoungblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #52
Amateur Mike
AF Newbie

Update on Toyota: Same thing happened to my 2002 Sienna with 116,000 miles. The price for the plastic latch from Toyota is now $120. It is going back, and I will order a metal one. Thanks for the information on its availability. This is a great site.
Amateur Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #53
Amateur Mike
AF Newbie

Update to my last post: There is a group called the Aftermarket Parts Association in San Antonio that was very helpful in locating a local store that carries their products. I found an all metal rear hatch handle imported by Dorfman Products of Colmar, Pennsylvania, product #79600, titled a "Liftgate Handle." Cost in California from a local dealer that got it from a local warehouse within two hours of my request was $48.00 plus tax. With my son's help, it took an hour to install. It was very easy to do. Tips on opening the hatch: if the handle lever is broken off and you can insert a stiff coat hanger or heavy wire through the lever hole on the handle toward the passenger side, you might be able to tip the lever, releasing the latch. If not, you have to open it by removing the interior panel as others have described. Hope this helps. Completed this 3-19-2010.
Amateur Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #54
cityboy
AF Newbie

Re: Thanks for the tip

I agree! I have replaced all 5 door handles and now refuse to buy anymore!
My rear door broke again and now I took the cover off and use a rope mechanism and my kids help to open the door when needed.
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:02 AM   #55
wiswind
AF Moderator

I found that I could not open the rear hatch on my 2003 Sienna.
I took the panel off the inside of the rear hatch from the inside.
First, pop the covers over the bolts on each end of the handle at the bottom of the door.
Second, remove the 2 10mm bolts that hold the handle and remove handle.
Third, SLIDE UP the cover over the metal bracket that holds the pull down strap.......it slides up to remove.
Forth, remove the 10mm bold that holds the pull down strap and bracket.
Fifth.....grasp the plastic panel at the BOTTOM and pull it away from the door......working the clips up to the top of the panel.....

I got really lucky.......all I needed to do was lubricate things and it all works just great.
It seems that there is a metal plate on the outside.....behind the plastic handle........mine is SUPER rusty.......and I wonder if the rusting causes the rotating part to become frozen in place....causing the handle to break when you pull it to open the door.
After lubrication.....takes very little effort to pull the handle to release the door latch.

This picture shows the rear hatch handle unit and trim off of the vehicle....I removed it to paint it with "Eastwood Rust Encapsulator"....shows the rusty steel plate.....arrow shows where the handle tab passes through the plate.

This picture shows the rotating part that the cable connects to at the top.......the rotating part is mounted to the metal part that is rusty on the outside on mine.....and once that pivot point got a bit of lubrication.......the door worked very well.
Arrow shows where the handle tab comes through the steel plate....and contacts the rotating metal part.....pushes the left side down......and the right side moves up....pulling the cable that releases the latch at the bottom of the hatch.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...092975/detail/
2003 Toyota Sienna pictures (not much there yet)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...781661/detail/

Last edited by wiswind; 05-04-2010 at 09:50 PM.
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #56
jspiro
AF Newbie

Thanks to all before who have posted excellent instructions on how to fix this problem.

I ordered a new metal handle from David Auto Sales. It was $29 with shipping.

The installation was very straightforward given tips from previous postings.

Unfortunately, however, when I had it all finished I realized that there was a secondary problem as well. The car locking mechanism wasn't working smoothly. A small plastic peg that is involved in the locking system was sticking given some play in the system-- so even though the new handle worked perfectly when the car was unlocked-- often the tailgate was not fully unlocked and then the handle didn't work. I took the locking mechanism off and lubricated it-- but it still stuck occasionally. I managed to bend it in such a way that it seems to be working consistently now-- but I'm still concerned that this won't last.....
jspiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #57
wiswind
AF Moderator

I recommend that you spray some lubricant into the latch mechanism.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #58
tgsmil
AF Newbie

I have the panels off and am ready to repair the handle but I can't get the liftgate latch to release. The cable moves the lever mechanism but nothing is releasing the latch. Anyone know how to get it open?
tgsmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #59
wiswind
AF Moderator

Try working the LOCKING mechanism.
Just a couple weeks ago, mine stuck exactly as you mention......I sprayed lubricant into all the spots that I could for the lock.....including the cable ends where the cable goes into the cable cover.......
That is what cleared it up for me.
I suspect that one of the times it was closed.....the lock was not fully in the lock position....and kind of jammed it......as it worked really well once I got it freed up.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #60
msmucha
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayoungblood View Post
I, too, have a 2000 Toyota Sienna van driven by my wife with a broken rear latch handle. While I admire the inventiveness of those who have repaired their broken plastic handles with a bolt, I chose instead to order a replacement metal handle for about $21. It came by overnight UPS from Oregon to Texas, Davis Auto Parts,

http://store.jkdautoparts.com/autopa...utokey/8020158

The metal handle is not likely to break. By the way, this same handle is available from Amazon but for twice the price. Go to the source and receive the best price and overnight delivery.

My time is worth something, so I feel this was an excellent solution. It's a better designed part that you simply bolt in, and you are done.

By the way, I tried both epoxy and gorilla glue on my broken handle and can confirm, that neither will withstand the spring pressure of the latch, once reassembled and tested. If you are going to stick with your broken handle, you must put a bolt in it or fashion a bolted rod bent to the same angle as the plastic tab that trips the cable lever.
Sayoungblood had great advice. I had the same broken latch problem with my 2000 Sienna and purchased the metal replacement latch from http://www.jkdautoparts.com/ for $30 including shipping. It was a perfect fit replacement and is well constructed. Other posts on this problem were also very helpful. I took me about 45 minutes to complete the entire repair. You do not have to remove the top or side trim pieces on the back panel to complete the repair. It just takes a little more care on getting the panel back in place.
msmucha is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna