Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > RAV4
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 06:59 AM   #1
Bossman
AF Enthusiast

RAV4 in the snow???

With all the snow the east coast is having now, can someone please relate to us how their RAV4 AWD does in the snow and ice? That would be the major selling point as far as I'm concerned. Thanks.
Bossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 11:00 AM   #2
klohiq
AF Enthusiast

I know a few people with a newer RAV4 (one with a 2003 and the other a 2002) and they both love the vehicle. I don't own one, but I've been considering one as a winter car also. I've seen a lot in the parking lot of my work the last few days and we have quite a bit of snow...though I've seen shitty FWDs handle the snow alright too (like my car, 1998 cavalier)...so it's mostly the driver...though I'm sure they do a lot better in the snow...

Not sure how they compare to similarly priced AWD SUVs and cars AWD(Legacy, SVX, etc)
Old 01-10-2004, 03:15 PM   #3
BMW_4.4i
AF Regular

Re: RAV4 in the snow???

I have a 2004 RAV4 FWD and it does pretty good in the snow of New England. It has the Traction Control and Vehicle Skid control standard, which makes it even better. I could only imagine that the AWD would be even better than mine.
BMW_4.4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 03:16 PM   #4
70camaro
AF Regular

WE own a 99 and the only thing I can say is: the tire tread makes a BIG difference! The highway type tread ours came with was not doing so well in the snow (plus they were a little worn) But when I got some new tires with an agressive tread pattern WOW, what a difference! Doesn't slide much now, and havent ever been stuck.
70camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 11:05 PM   #5
datsunadict
AF Regular

my totally stock 97 rav is 4wd without ABS or TCS and it does absolutly awesome in the snow, i rarely find myself locking the tires and it is easy to control wheel spin in 4wd and 2wd. I run siped all season radials and i don't have a bit of trouble getting anywhere i want to go, and i live in the middle of nowhere in North Idaho. If that isn't snow worthy, then you might as well buy a Land Rover.
datsunadict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 09:05 PM   #6
ayoub59_Rav4
AF Newbie

I have a 2003 toyota rav4 awd is great in the snow is a great car but it have one little problem is the brakes but when i replace my brakes is a very good car even in wet or dry or icy roads
ayoub59_Rav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:30 PM   #7
cyclist1
AF Newbie

I know this is an old post, but my 1997 Rav-4 L with AWD is awsome in the snow. It handled the snow better than many larger SUV's. As long as you don't get too confident with the AWD, it will get you to your destination and back without any problems.

Andrew
cyclist1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
TBR0698
AF Newbie

NOT ... We have a 2006 RAV4 with Traction Control. We have a 125' long driveway that is uphill. That damn SUV is worthless when it comes to getting up our driveway in the snow ... the Traction Control kick in with the Idiot light and annoying Chime as it kills the engine loosing all momentum ... can you say STUCK???
I asked the Toyota garage for a way to disable the traction control and he said Nope ... no way!!!
TBR0698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #9
S_chevy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBR0698
NOT ... We have a 2006 RAV4 with Traction Control. We have a 125' long driveway that is uphill. That damn SUV is worthless when it comes to getting up our driveway in the snow ... the Traction Control kick in with the Idiot light and annoying Chime as it kills the engine loosing all momentum ... can you say STUCK???
I asked the Toyota garage for a way to disable the traction control and he said Nope ... no way!!!

got the same problem here witht the TC at times. but there is a way to disable it go here http://rav4world.com/forums/index.php and search for disable traction control.
S_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
mermaidlisa
AF Newbie

I just traded in my Toyota Echo for a 2005 Rav4 L because of not being able to drive in snow or ice. I have been very impressed with the ability to drive in the weather and actually have control on the road.
mermaidlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:06 AM   #11
RB200sx
AF Newbie

Mine is a 97 with all wheel drive. No traction control to speak of. Lots of fun, though. Empty parking lot and a drift I go with all 4 wheels spinning! LOL!
RB200sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #12
salmo
AF Newbie

Fantastic!
I have a 2008 RAV4 and prior to that a 2 wheel Toyota. I live in Western Newfoundland where we get an average snowfall of 13 ft and there's plenty of hills. I can honestly say that winter driving with the RAV was a real pleasure. You can drive it with confidence.
Never ever got stuck and came up the hill to our home in any weather without a problem.
Keep in mind that after 40 kph or 25 mph the 4wd cuts out and at that speed you probably don't need it anyway. It's a safety feature, expecially for highway driving.
I haven'yt yet figured out the advantage of the warning for when the vehicle slips sidedays.
The RAV4 is an excellent winter vehicle.

Salmo
salmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:18 AM   #13
OzzyO
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to OzzyO Send a message via Yahoo to OzzyO

I'm in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia , we usually get alot of snow also, your 4 wheel drive is only as good as its tires, I have an 06 Rav4 with all seasons, didn't get stuck this past winter but I also have ole reliable a 94 4Runner never gets stuck in the snow, there is a button you can push to lock it in 4 wheel drive, on the 06 Rav4, but as previously mentioned at 25 mph it automatically comes out of 4 wheel drive. Good Luck.
OzzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #14
Ranger_10X
AF Newbie

DEPENDS - If you know how to really drive in the snow you will hate the RAV4 traction control. This car (notice that I'm not referring to it as an SUV as I'd never take it anywhere near off-road) is actually a great vehicle in most on-road conditions but the traction control feature will, under certain conditions, get you more stuck than a two wheel drive vehicle. As others have said, this 'defeature' kicks in when it senses slip on any of the four wheels and immediately kills engine power. This means if you get into any deep snow, or on an icy surface you're not going anywhere. This works great to help you stay in control when you find yourself on an unexpected slippery patch, but if you need to power your way through some deep snow - fuggetaboudit. I'm looking for a way to disable it, if anyone knows?
Ranger_10X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #15
jerryg2112
AF Regular

It's all about your tires. Good tread doesn't mean good snow traction. Check tire ratings for all season tires that are good in the winter. There is no tire that is good for everything. If you have FWD and a good snow tire then you'll be fine. 4wd even better.
jerryg2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > RAV4