Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tercel
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
abvp
AF Newbie

1990 Toyota Tercel won't start

Car was starting fine yesterday, kind of, except it kept stalling out. Car started having issues with stalling out after it started getting cold. We have ice and snow here. It eventually did start yesterday though.

Well, it seems to want to try to start, but instead it is a low humming sound instead of its usual noisy sound.

Car has a new battery and alternator already. Car has over 209k on it. My dad thinks it has something to do with starter. I had him on speakerphone listening to the noise it was making.
abvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
82Stang
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1990 Toyota Tercel won't start

Does it have full battery power? Did you check with a voltmeter? Should be 12+ volts with car off. The low humming could be because it doesn't have full power. Is it tuned up, good plugs, cap, rotor etc? How long has this starter been in there? Might be something to that.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
abvp
AF Newbie

Re: 1990 Toyota Tercel won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82Stang View Post
Does it have full battery power? Did you check with a voltmeter? Should be 12+ volts with car off. The low humming could be because it doesn't have full power. Is it tuned up, good plugs, cap, rotor etc? How long has this starter been in there? Might be something to that.
It's most likely the starter we've figured. I've basically been replacing this car piece by piece since I got it less than a year ago. The battery was over 9 years old when I replaced it. I think I'm going to sell it and get something with less mileage.
abvp is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tercel