Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Highlander/Highlander Hybrid/Kluger
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
dss56
AF Regular

2005 Toyota Highlander Shifting problems

Wifes 2005 Highlander is not shifting correct when she slows down and then tries to speed up or when she goes around a corner slow and speeds up the tranny has a delay and then shifts kinda hard.
When starting from a dead stop shifts fine no problems just slowing down and then accelerating it will delay then shift. It kind of jerks the car and makes you wonder what is going on. Car has been doing this for about a year and I feel it might be a an electrical module in the tranny or some adjustment.

we are going to take the car to our local tranny that has done work for us before and is honest.

Any suggestions what might cause this delay it is not a slippage just a hard shift>

thanks
dss56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
somick
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2005 Toyota Highlander Shifting problems

I believe the first step would be to see the conditions of the transmission fluid. Do 2/3 drain refills. It may cure the problem. At least it helped my 2004 Camry.

Good luck,
Sam

somick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
dss56
AF Regular

I have been searching the Highlander forums all weekend and seems to be a problem right from the getgo. Seems people who have bought the Toyota Highlander Camry's and Lexus all have had this problem from a brand new purchase. Dealer response has been the tranny is working properly and there is nothing wrong. I find this rather a problem that Toyota does not want to address. It is a safety factor. Just trying to accelerate with a delay of not moving then a fast bang/shift. This is not good for my wife and we have owned the HL for 3 years bought with 49k miles and did not do this for the first 2 years then about 7months ago it has been doing this.
Again I find the hard to believe from the Toyota/dealer the tranny is suppose to do this its normal.

Has anyone here had or have this problem and had it fixed? What might of been the fix if you had it repaired?

Two days of searching the net on this problem and all the same answer amazing I feel Toyota is wrong on this one. I guess because of no major accidents Toyota will not admit problems with the tranny.

thanks
Old 02-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
cdlvburg
AF Newbie

dss56, have you been able to find a solution/cause for your 2005 HL shift problem? I have a 2005 HL that is exhibiting the same behavior and would be very interested in what you have learned. Thanks.
cdlvburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #5
dss56
AF Regular

I took it to the local tranny place who has worked on our vehicles over the years.
They also said the tranny is working fine and that it is the way my wife drive the car. I still say this is all bullcrap and that something is wrong with the shifting and Toyota will not fix this problem as there are many complaints on this on the web.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
cdlvburg
AF Newbie

Thanks, dss56. If you find any solution, please let me know, and I will do likewise. Of course, my '05 HL trans has 217K miles, so not surprised something starting to act up.
cdlvburg is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Highlander/Highlander Hybrid/Kluger