Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
brendeh18
AF Newbie

98 toyota camry won't crank.

hello, I have a 1998 toyota camry , 4 cylinder that will not crank. I have put a new starter, starter relay, battery, ground wire, and ignition switch into the car. we finally got it to start with the key last night and thus morning, however when I went to leave work thus morning it would not start again. I have to jump it by using the starter relay. does anyone have any ideas of what could be the problem, or anyone that has had th is problem?

Last edited by brendeh18; 12-30-2017 at 09:15 AM. Reason: forgot that I put a ignition switch not just the ignition into the car
brendeh18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:06 PM   #2
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: 98 toyota camry won't crank.

If you had to start it by shorting the starter relay, then you are not getting power to the starter relay. Check the electrical connections and continuity between the ignition switch and the relay. Also check the connections and continuity between the relay and ground.

It wouldn't be the first time that a rebuilt starter wasn't good. May be the starter. Can you reliably start it with by shorting the relay?

Are you sure the positive batter cable is good? You didn't mention it.

What happens when you can't get it to turn over? Do you hear a click or buzzing or multiple clicks, or nothing?

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Could be a neutral safety switch. Try pulling the shifter into neutral and see if it starts.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:18 PM   #4
brendeh18
AF Newbie

-when I turn the key I can hear a clicking noise that's coming from the engine compartment. I believe it's the starter but I'm not entirely sure since I'm usually alone when this happens.

-so far everytime I short the starter relay it does start the engine. Howevery I pretty much parked the car until I can get it to start the right way.

- I have not replaced the positive battery cable. That's one of the things that I know it could be. Also could be another ground somewhere. It's just odd that I could start it with the key with no problem in the morning after replace 2 ground wires. Then have it go back to not starting again.

-And I believe my mechanic did check the connectivity between the ignition switch and the relay and between the relay and the ground. We were checking alot of areas to see if they were getting voltage. but I will double check.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:19 PM   #5
brendeh18
AF Newbie

and I will try putting it in neutral to see if it will start. My fiance has a Taurus that had that problem.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:18 PM   #6
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

If you hear only one click each time you turn the key, it is very likely to be the starter solenoid contacts. This is a common problem in your engine, and other Toyota engines also. You may have bought a starter which was not completely rebuilt and they left the original contacts in, or installed them incorrectly. Replacing them is easy and relatively cheap. You need to buy two different part numbers for your engine. There is a topic specifically on this issue in the FAQ topic at the top of the Camry forum.

If you are getting many fast clicks when you turn the key, you are getting insufficient current to activate the solenoid. Bad connection or wire somewhere.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista