Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Previa
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
soup1207
AF Newbie

Several Questions of a newbie

sorry to ask so much, please forgive and answer me.

What is the signal of engine overheat? is it over half of the engine temperature indicator? I hope to know it to slower down the speed if it happen

In what condition I have to turn off the over-drive function please?

Is the supercharge oil a kind of engine oil? I guess not and want to make sure...

I just bought my 1995 previa. The second hand agent said his friend(who's a car repairer) has added oil and fluid for me. I suspect if he added the s/c oil too.

Is there any risk the repairer added some non s/c oil into the s/c oil tank?
Where can I check the level of the s/c oil?

Thank you very much.

soup1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Re: Several Questions of a newbie

Somewhat late, but to answer your questions:

When it gets into the red and the engine light comes on, you should stop and let the engine idle with the heater blowing hot...windows down to keep you from baking. Or get out and stretch. Pointer at the half-way mark would be normal.

Overdrive is usually turned off when going up extended hill climbs...this helps prevent the continuous "hunting" that the transmission does to find the right gear. You may notice a slight increase in engine temp during climbing, but don't worry until it hits the red. Constant runs like this though will necessitate more frequent transmission fluid changes.

I've never heard of "supercharge oil". There are many brands and types. If you get yours changed at a reputable place then no worries. Any brand that meets the car's specs in the manual is fine. I would recommend asking for the "high-mileage" version of their oil if they offer it...it may be a few extra dollars but I'd say worth it.

You are referring to a supercharger that may be an installed option on your engine (that's what the "S/C" emblem on the back denotes). The supercharger does have its own oil reservoir, and uses a specific type (Genuine Toyota Supercharger oil 08885-80108, or equivalent...I've heard Castrol Syntec 5W-50 oil is acceptable as a substitute). The dipstick is a little yellow screw-on cap WAYYY down in the engine bay. Probly best left to a mechanic, but don't let them skip over checking it!

Hope this helps!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Previa