Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 05:22 AM   #31
GTS-4 Ben
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to GTS-4 Ben
I first found out when I was about 6 what happens if you put the car in gear and then turn the key,
Old 12-29-2001, 01:36 PM   #32
RazorGTR
Skyline Man

My first car was an auto, but I used to race Moto Cross so switching to a manual car was pretty easy. I did how ever burn the clutch out in the first month. Once I got it down all but 1 of my last cars were manual. I will never go back as you can really get the most out of your car with a manual.
Never confuse kindess with weakness.
AF user guidelines, Please remember to abide by them
RazorGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 05:18 PM   #33
turboedsol
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to turboedsol
find someone with an old beat up truck take it to a parking lot and drive around till you get a feel for it. try to learn with no help from anyone this way you will learn the best way for you. since the car is a beater you dont have to worrie about anything
turboedsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 07:16 AM   #34
Tireburner
AF Enthusiast

I was teaching my son how to drive my F-150 manual yesterday on a dirt road. He must have stalled it 30 times, plus on top of it he let it roll backwards twice while in gear, motor dead... Thank heavens for timing chains! Had this been an older belted motor I would be out retiming the crank, cam and distributor!!

I learned drunk, but the finishing touches were done by myself. I think that helps alot. Nobody in your ear trying to tell you what to do.
Tireburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 01:30 PM   #35
94civic
AF Enthusiast

i learned how to drive manual from practicing on my dirtbike. well it isn't really the same because on the bike yuo use your hands and on the car you use your feet, but its the same concept.
94civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 03:06 PM   #36
Rich
Never Fear, Rich is here!

Send a message via MSN to Rich
I never did really "learn" how to drive manual. I got a lesson from a friend who tried to teach me in his VW Jetta. It was about a 30 min lesson and I stalled around 7 times or so

The crunch time came when I had to take my car in for service work. I needed a ride downtown and asked a different friend if he could give me a ride in his truck. Instead he tossed me the keys and said "you do know how to drive standard right?, just be easy on the clutch" I was like "umm, yea, thanks."

I knew the basics from my lesson in the VW, but the clutch feel, and shift points were ALOT different between the VW and the pickup. It was one hell of a ride, but fortionatly I got the hang of it pretty fast. Had trouble with an uphill start, but all in all I did ok.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 04:54 PM   #37
crayzayjay
CFA

i first drove a car when i was 14, it was manual. i've only ever driven one auto and didnt like it. i was pretty mad about cars from a very young age so unlike most people i knew how everything worked. i wont say i was great or smooth but i didnt stall once on my first lesson. My cuz was teaching me in his modified prelude. he made me reverse down a narrow little mountain road with nothing either side 10 mins into my lesson. i was like "are you sure" and he was adamant that i do it. so i did, and to my surprise it worked out ok, i.e. no crash, no one died .

cheers,
jay
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 11:25 PM   #38
VentoJoe
AF Newbie

I learned in a '90 Ford Bronco II when I was 16,I relearned myself in my buddy's '89 Acura Integra when I was 19.Although most of my cars have been automatics,I have no personal preference betwen the two.
VentoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 02:57 AM   #39
Nico
AF Newbie

Learned on my dads 92 Ferrari 348 ts when I was 13. Hah, that was a sight to see, a 13 y/o zooming down the streets, turned a few eyes. It was hard to learn on a powerful car, gas was so sensitive, but I got the hang of it after 2 weeks.
Nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 04:09 AM   #40
SinisterSavior
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to SinisterSavior
You Gotta Be Kidding Me....0.o

Your dad actually let u drive his FERARRI when you where thirteen, man your one lucky kid.*sigh*
SinisterSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 01:17 PM   #41
Nico
AF Newbie

Yeah, not on main roads or anything, around our neighbourhood, it was like 10 block by 10 blocks. After driving that, almost everything else seemed weak lol! Yeah my dad is really nice, but I operated the wheel when I was like 6, then slowly boved up to driving auto cars, then a stick.
Nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 02:41 AM   #42
THE4TH
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to THE4TH
well i learned off and on from many diff people.. which was bad cause they taught diff...
anyway one was in a civic hatch ... a nice ride to start on .. and the other was a 4 spd. pos ford something.. he let me kill that thing.. it was fun .. but i would never go back ..
Old 07-07-2002, 02:42 AM   #43
THE4TH
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to THE4TH
would never go back to auto that is.. perhaps later when i have a fam ..
Old 07-07-2002, 08:03 AM   #44
crayzayjay
CFA

U have to admit autos are cool in the city... there have been numerous times when i wished for an auto box while stuck in traffic
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 09:21 AM   #45
Jimbo_Jones
AF Enthusiast

i ended up learning on one of my parents manuals... the gear was not that bad after i'd finished, because its one designed to handle a 253 but it was only powered by a 4cylinder at the time... the clutch was a bit messy afterwards tho

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General