Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Cressida
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
mcoe0397
AF Newbie

Angry 7mge engine swap...no start

I bought a used 7mge engine out of an 89 supra to go in my 91 cressida everything went smoothly except some wiring issues and dicovering that the distributor was one from a 7mgte engine...does anyone know if this distributor would cause my cressida not to start??? if not I have spark and I have fuel and the engine will fire if I spray starting fluid into the intake but will not run...please help before I send this cressida to the toyota graveyard!
mcoe0397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: 7mge engine swap...no start

I would use a noid light and make sure the injectors are getting pulse.
http://www.autopart.com/tools/toolsmain/tool/T_3401.htm This is a picture of a set. The parts store may have a single item. I think something was unplugged and not hooked up.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
codybeachbum
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoe0397 View Post
I bought a used 7mge engine out of an 89 supra to go in my 91 cressida everything went smoothly except some wiring issues and dicovering that the distributor was one from a 7mgte engine...does anyone know if this distributor would cause my cressida not to start??? if not I have spark and I have fuel and the engine will fire if I spray starting fluid into the intake but will not run...please help before I send this cressida to the toyota graveyard!
I swaped engines on my 91 Cressida with the same engine only 40 to 60 thousand miles on it from Japan. The problem is it will not start. I get plenty of fuel and spark, but no injector signal or or noise. I have two computers and both get the same results. This is the second motor that I have swap within the last four years. the first motor no problem it started first time. Any suggestions would be helpful.
codybeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

If you didn't notice the engine running before you purchased it a bad pickup in the distributor won't allow them to run. I'm not this familiar with this engine but my son had a 6mge engine. Normally either a bad pickup,or a module beside the distributor or wiring problems cause a no start. I opened the plastic covering on the harness as if someone used a soldering iron between the wires. No damage to the wire but it allowed them to touch. I wrapped small vacuum hose around it and taped it up and never had another problem.
I would check the wiring and connections closely. Make sure the shielded cable is grounded this will cause numerous problems. Ohm the wire between the injector and the computer. Then put one end on a good ground and check for bleed through. A good place for problems to occur.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Cressida