Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Dakota
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
osuyaqui
AF Newbie

Angry 02 Dakota Multiple/ Random Misfire, Cylinders 2,4,5,6

I have an 02 Dakota with a 3.9 V6 and over the last four months I have been getting Multiple/ Random Misfire codes coming up with the following cylinders as being the issue 2,4,5, and 6. The truck will start up fine and shortly after it will start to idle ruff. If I allow the truck to warm up for about 15-20 mins it will straighten itself out. If I try to drive before it is warmed up the engine will bog down and back fire. As the weather gets colder it seem to increas in intinsity. I have already done a tune up ( i.e. plugs, wires, cap, rotor), replaced two fuel injectors, and done a fuel system cleaning ( i.e. injectors, fuel line, carb). I am thinking about replacing either the Abient Air Temperature Sensor, Idle Air Control Valve, MAP, or Throttle Position Sensor. Can someone help get me headed in possible the right direction?
osuyaqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
hundahunta
AF Enthusiast

Re: 02 Dakota Multiple/ Random Misfire, Cylinders 2,4,5,6

what was the compression, do you seem to be burning oil,
hundahunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #3
osuyaqui
AF Newbie

I have taken my truck to two different shops and the dealer ship. All of the wires and fuel are at right pressure. I had the engine checked for vacum leaks and there were none. Everytime I have taken the truck into the shop they all call me the next day and tell me they can't find anything wrong. That is why I am thinking I might have a short in one of my sensors changing up the fuel air mixtures which is causing me to have the back fires.
osuyaqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
luckyguess
AF Newbie

sorry for the late response,if you havent already repaired your problem;try taking the exhaust down by unbolting at the flange before the converter. It will be a little noisy without cat and muffler but run the truck from a cold start and see if it makes a difference in the idle and misfire condition. You may have an exhaust restriction that is temperature sensative and improves with warm-up, and also will send random misfire codes as a result. Hard to say for sure without looking at it but this is a commonly overlooked problem even at shops..good luck
luckyguess is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
backfire , cylinder misfire , multiple/random misfire
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Dakota