Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-22-2001, 11:51 AM   #1
shameed
AF Newbie

Mazda 626 Dead

I have a 91 Mazda 626 LX. I don't use it much. I did not turn on its engine for over 2 months. Now it is totally dead. It does not even crank. I tried to jump start it but nothing happened. Even the jumper cable started heating up.

Any guesses as to what might be wrong? I believe changing the battery won't help.

Thanks in advance.
shameed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 11:56 AM   #2
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
You're right about that. You need a new battery. Second, I recommend you drain the oil first before any starting of the car. Then replace the oil with some new oil. That way, it coats engine parts as it trickles down to the bottom. Then carefully, try and make it start. Hope that helps.
Old 10-22-2001, 01:40 PM   #3
shameed
AF Newbie

Thanks for your reply.

I thought if it were battery issue, I should have been able to jump start it with my other car's (Ford Taurus) battery. I tried to do so, but nothing happened.

Is there something that I am missing because of my limited knowledge on cars?
shameed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 01:46 PM   #4
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
For now, just try the suggestions that I have given. Get a new battery and change the oil before you try and start. The reason for the oil thing is because the car was stationed for two months, all the oil in the engine is settled at the bottome and thus, no lubrication for upper parts. When the car is on, just listen to see if anything is wrong and correct as the problems arise.
Old 10-30-2001, 09:33 AM   #5
enginerd
AF Enthusiast

It sounds like your battery has a dead cell. When a battery has a dead cell, you could try to jump it with a dump truck and still not have it work. And please, drive the car or sell it. Nothing deteriorates cars more rapidly than having them parked for extended periods of time.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 11:19 AM   #6
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Also, you may want to be careful. It may now leak like a sieve. When you leave the car for too long without running it, the seals will deteriorate. And then things will start to leak, not just the oil. The Tranny, gearboxes, and such.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote